Windows 10: Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting

Discus and support Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My laptop is often left in my work bag overnight, or other places where having said laptop running for hours is not convenient or downright bad for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Serenova, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Serenova Win User

Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting

My laptop is often left in my work bag overnight, or other places where having said laptop running for hours is not convenient or downright bad for the system.

If I get hoe from work and I don't use the laptop that evening, it stays in my backpack all night. There have been mornings where I've gotten up and the backpack was HOT because Windows had decided to wake itself up, install updates, and then NOT GO BACK TO SLEEP, which left the computer running in a closed and confined space until it overheated or drained the battery!

This is NOT healthy for the computer! I shouldn't be waking up to an overheated or dead laptop when I left it with a full charge and in hibernate mode.

Is there ANY way to stop this from happening? I'm afraid that it's making my computer wear out faster, and it's definitely a strain on the internal components. And overheating every few months most certainly isn't good for the system!

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind installing Windows updates, but so far the ONLY solution I've found is to actually shut the computer down completely in between using it. Which isn't ideal if I'm in the middle of working on a document or other project! Especially because one of the writing programs I use (Scrivener) DOESN'T automatically reopen after a restart!

Please, Microsoft, we need an option to disable this ridiculousness! It's damaging my computer and interrupting my workflow!

:)

Serenova, Oct 12, 2019
  2. Joan Pin Win User

Disabling "Active Hours" (Windows Update Automatic Restart)

Hi,

Windows 10 provides the latest updates that automatically download and install once it's available. The active hours helps you to prevent inconvenient restarts. You may only change the active hours set on your device. To do this you may follow the steps
    provided on this
    link
    . Should you need any assistance, feel free to share your thoughts with us.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Joan Pin, Oct 12, 2019
  3. Disable Active hours?

Hello Daniel,

If you wish to add more hours or to have an option to turn off the Active Hours, then the feature is currently unavailable on Windows phone. It is best if you can send a suggestion to make the features available using the
    Feedback Hub app. To send a suggestion on your Windows phone, you can follow the steps provided below:

• Go to All Apps, search for the Feedback
      Hub app.
    • Open the menu icon at the top left side.
    • Select Feedback, then at the top right side, tap the
      add
      button (+).
    • Select Suggestionand fill up the box with the details needed.
    • Select the right category and then Submit.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask the community.

Michael Rey, Oct 12, 2019
  4. Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting

Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users in Settings

How to Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10

Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft.

Starting with active hours. Active hours lets Windows know when you usually use this device. When a restart is necessary to finish installing an update, Windows won't automatically restart your device during active hours.

When a restart is scheduled, you can use a custom restart time to temporarily override active hours and schedule a custom time to finish installing the current update(s). When your computer restarts on the scheduled custom time, custom restart time will automatically be turned off, and Windows Update will only restart outside of active hours again. You can also manually turn off custom restart time at anytime if you change your mind.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18282, Windows can automatically adjust active hours for you based on your device activity.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off letting Windows automatically adjust active hours for you based on your daily usage to avoid rebooting your Windows 10 PC to finish installing a Windows Update.

*note The Intelligent Active Hours setting will affect all users on the computer.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users using a REG file

Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting [​IMG]
    OPTION ONE
    Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & Security icon.

2. Click/tap on Windows Update on the left side, and click/tap on Change active hours on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Turn on or off (default) Automatically adjust active hours for me based on my daily usage for what you want. (see screenshots below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

SmartActiveHoursState DWORD

1 = On
    2 = Off

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_on_Auto_adjust_active_hours.reg

3. To Turn Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_off_Auto_adjust_active_hours.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 12, 2019
Thema:

Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting

1. Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting - Similar Threads - Disable Active Hours

2. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  3. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  4. Permanently disable automatic restarts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Permanently disable automatic restarts: Once again, windows automatically restarted. This time I lost 2 days worth of work. I need to know how to permanently disable auto restart. I WILL decide when it is safe to reboot. Automatic updates are one thing, but this is a work computer. I need it to remaining running...
  5. Stopping Windows from automatically restarting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stopping Windows from automatically restarting: I need to record video 24x7 for weeks on end. How do I stop Windows 10 Home from not updating and rebooting in the middle of the recording? the recording stops every 8 hours to open a new file - but that only takes 3 seconds I tried to change Active hours, but you cannot...
  6. Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart: How can I disable Windows 10 automatic restart. This question has been asked A LOT on this board. I have done many of the suggestions but I need to know if any of them actually work. This is not a fact of losing simply losing information. The computer is going to be...
  7. After the latest WU, my laptop would not automatically restart - "Active Hours" problem -...

After the latest WU, my laptop would not automatically restart - "Active Hours" problem -...: At 23.55 last night, Cumulative WU KB4551762 finished downloading but didn't install. The message gave me the choice to either "Restart now" or "wait until my active hours". But my active hours are 08:00 - 01:00 so it should have restarted. Is there any action that I should...
  8. Stop Windows automatically restarting itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop Windows automatically restarting itself: I have a windows machine now for using 3D software and a few times now when I've left it to render over a 6 hour period I've come back to find the computer has restarted itself I've even paused updates for 7 days but it's still restarting, is there a way to permanently...
  9. How do I disable outside-active-hours restarting?

How do I disable outside-active-hours restarting?: I hate this "feature" of Windows deciding to restart my computer without my permission, just because it feels like it. Not only do I run a web server on my PC, but I also have many open documents at times, plenty of which I don't save. That doesn't mean I don't need the...
  10. Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours': Hi, with the anniversary upgrade, an active hours period of up to 12 hours is provided, after which, assuming one's PC is on, it will restart if so required for a Windows update. I realised that programs such as 'Don't Sleep' which optionally block shutdown, hibernate,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to disable automatically adjust your active hours message

2. stop windows phone restarting itself after every 2 hours