Windows 10: Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 Windows can personalize... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

Windows can personalize your Start menu based on the apps that you launch. This allows you to quickly have access to your list of Most used apps both in the Start menu and when you search your device.

If you disable app launch tracking, it will disable and gray out the Show most used apps settings.

Disabling app launch tracking will also clear and disable the AutoSuggest history for apps in the drop down list of Run (Win+R) and File Explorer (Win+E) address bar. This does not affect file, folder, drive, network, and URL paths in AutoSuggest.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable app launch tracking to improve Start and search results for all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking using a REG file

EXAMPLE: "Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results" and "Show most used apps" grayed out when app launch tracking is disabled

Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Edge UI. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Edge UI, double click/tap on the Turn off tracking of app usage policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable App Launch Tracking
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable App Launch Tracking
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\EdgeUI

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\EdgeUI

DisableMFUTracking DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable App Launch Tracking
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_app_launch_tracking.reg

Download

3. To Disable App Launch Tracking
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_app_launch_tracking.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 8, 2018
  2. George_F Win User

Cannot enable "track app launches" for "most used apps" list

Both settings below are greyed out with the message "Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization"

1. Privacy/Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results

2. Personalization/Start/Show most used apps

I cannot find a way to enable them. Tried sfc /scannow in Safe Mode, setting Data collection to Full, disable/enable Cortana. Also verified the following group policies, leaving them to 'Not configured' (and also trying 'Disabled'):

"Turn off user tracking"

"Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu"

"Turn off personalized menus".

Don't know what else I can try, apart from reinstalling Windows which would be an over-the-top solution. Using the latest W10 x64 Pro (stable version).

Thanks for any help.

George_F, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\All Settings: these are the changed ones:

I compared the above with my other PC, and they are exactly the same. On that PC however, App Launch Tracking works normally and can be enabled/disabled.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\All Settings: all is 'Not configured'

I couldn't find something relevant in the Resultant Set of Policy.

AmigaRoots, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

It is version 1709, build 16299.192

AmigaRoots, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable App

2. "Let Windows track app launches" automatically re-enables

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Let Windows track app launches" automatically re-enables: I prefer to have the privacy setting "Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results" disabled in my settings, but every time I turn it off it turns itself back on when I restart my PC. This doesn't happen with any other settings I have. Is there any fix...
  3. Native Android app support for Windows 10 is still on track for 2021 launch

in Windows 10 News
    Native Android app support for Windows 10 is still on track for 2021 launch: After abandoning Project Astoria, Microsoft has been looking into ways of bringing Android apps to Windows 10 and it has already enabled streaming support via the Your Phone app for select Samsung phones. Microsoft’s latest idea is “Project Latte”, which aims to help...
  4. How to enable or disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 operating system uses a range of measures to track your app launches in order to boost your start and search results. It can personalize your start menu based on the most used apps in the Start menu as [...] This post How to enable or disable App Launch...
  5. Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps in Windows 10 The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through, purchase, or get for...
  6. Enable or Disable Launch Folder Windows in Separate Process in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Launch Folder Windows in Separate Process in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Launch Folder Windows in Separate Process in Windows How to Enable or Disable Launch Folder Windows in a Separate Process in Windows Each process running in Windows is assigned a unique decimal number called the process ID (PID) to identify an...
  7. Windows Tracking Disable Tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Tracking Disable Tool?: Is this safe? http://www.myce.com/news/developer-c...dows-10-76896/ I really don't like the idea of Microsoft tracking everything I do. 16954
  8. Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Pre-launching in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Pre-launching in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Pre-launching in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Pre-launching at Startup in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10...
  9. Enable or Disable Send Do Not Track Requests in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Send Do Not Track Requests in Microsoft Edge: How to: Enable or Disable Send Do Not Track Requests in Microsoft Edge How to Enable or Disable Send Do Not Track Requests in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for...
  10. Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 Windows can personalize your Start menu based on the apps that you launch. This allows you to quickly have access to your list of Most used apps both in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com