Windows 10: Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 The Most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by dazzle, Oct 14, 2015.

1. dazzle Win User

Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10

The Most used group on your Start menu All apps list will show up to 6 of your frequently opened apps to make it easier to open them from as needed.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to show most used apps on the Start Menu All apps list for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable showing "Most used" on the Start Menu.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Most used on Start Menu in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Most used on Start Menu using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Enable and Disable "Most used" apps List on the Start Menu

Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Most used on Start Menu in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Most used on Start Menu
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Most used on Start Menu
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. You can either restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Most used on Start Menu using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoInstrumentation DWORD
    (delete) = Enable

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoInstrumentation DWORD
    NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Most used on Start Menu
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Most_Used_apps_list_on_Start_Menu.reg

Download

3. To Disable Most used on Start Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Most_Used_apps_list_on_Start_Menu.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can either restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

dazzle, Oct 14, 2015
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Like seeing Promoted Apps in the Start Menu? You'll love the Windows..

Like seeing Promoted Apps in the Start Menu? You'll love the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Read more: http://www.neowin.net/news/like-seei...versary-update

Tip How to Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10

Cluster Head, Oct 27, 2019
  4. krytoned Win User

Add or Remove Most Used Apps from Start Menu in Windows 10  

I somehow managed to reset the Start menu's Most Used List, so here's what I did:

1. CCleaner - use Cleaner to clear:
    - Start Menu Shortcuts (System category)
    - Menu Order Cache (Advanced category)
    - User Assist History (Advanced category)
    2. Disabled 'Show most used apps', waited 10 seconds, then re-enabled the option again (Option 2 in the guide)
    3. Signed out and then signed back in again.

Probably some of these steps were not needed, but I only saw the cumulative effects only after I signed out and in again.

Now I have to figure out how to get back my desired most used apps, instead of the default ones..

krytoned, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, Oct 27, 2019
  6. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Used

2. Most used apps disappeared from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Most used apps disappeared from Start Menu: Today I noticed that "most used apps" no longer appeared in my Start Menu. I toggled the three bars in the upper right corner, but they did not appear. Then I checked Settings-Personalization-Start to make sure that "most used apps" were still enabled. They are. My Win 10 is...
  3. Windows 10 - Start Menu - Most used Apps listing

Windows 10 - Start Menu - Most used Apps listing: I have enabled the ALL my Settings > Personalisation > Start options. My Settings > Privacy >General options are also ALL enabled. I do not have most used listing or recently added listing displayed. Please help me fix this problem...
  4. Reset Start Menu Most Used Apps In Windows 10

Reset Start Menu Most Used Apps In Windows 10: Hi, I have finally found a simple way to reset Start menu Most Used Apps in Windows 10. To reset it please follow these steps: Open Start menu > Launch Settings app >Privacy >General >Disable (Allow Windows to track app launches to improve Start and search results)>...
  5. Is it possible to add apps to "Most Used" in the Start menu?

Is it possible to add apps to "Most Used" in the Start menu?: If so, could someone please show me how to do it? I removed a couple of apps from there and they either get replaced by a random program or disappear. 14935
  6. Start Menu Most Used - App Stuck & Won't Remove :/

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Most Used - App Stuck & Won't Remove :/: Hello all, Using Windows 10 v1511. I have recently uninstalled an app by right-clicking on the start menu and selecting Uninstall. However, the tile (albeit a blank one) is stuck in the Most Used list in the Start Menu. No matter how many times I right-click on it and...
  7. Enable or Disable Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 The Recently added list on your Start menu shows the latest new desktop apps and Windows apps installed. Starting with...
  8. Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 You can open a context menu in the Start Menu by right clicking or pressing and holding on an app's tile on the Start screen or...
  9. Add or Remove Most Used Apps from Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Most Used Apps from Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Most Used Apps from Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Most Used apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 The Most used group on your Start menu All apps list will show up to 6 of your frequently opened apps to make it easier to open them from...
  10. Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015. [img] Information Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. enable most used apps windows 10