Windows 10: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 You... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

You can open a context menu in the Start Menu by right clicking or pressing and holding on an app's tile on the Start screen or on an app listed in All Apps.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17083, you can prevent users from being able to open context menus in the Start Menu.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable opening context menus in the Start Menu for specific or all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable opening context menus in the Start Menu.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu for Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Context menus in the Start Menu

Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Disable context menus in the Start Menu policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Context Menus in the Start Menu for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu for Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Disable context menus in the Start Menu policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Context Menus in the Start Menu
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

DisableContextMenusInStart DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Context Menus in the Start Menu for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_context_menus_in_Start_Menu.reg

Download

3. To Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_context_menus_in_Start_Menu.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 28, 2018
  2. Necrofire Win User

CCC Context menu

I was recently greeted to a new entry in my desktop context menu after installing 8.12 drivers with the Catalyst Control Center:

Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 ati2.png

I have no idea what the second entry does, since clicking it results in nothing happening.
    So I open up CCC and find this new section:

Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 ati1.png

It's completely disabled. I only have a single HD3850. The IGP on my mobo is nVidia, which is disabled anyway.

I spent the last hour or so finding a way to remove the second entry, and this is the only thing I could find:
    Deleting this key removes both entries from the context menu
    Code: KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE[/quote] This solved one problem and caused another. I do not like the tray icon, so I have it disabled, so the only way I know to get into CCC is via the context menu. Does anyone know of a way to disable just the "Configure Additive Graphics" entry and keep the CCC entry?

If I kept both disabled, is there some sort of shortcut I could make to get there instead? I don't want to have to go to Display->Settings->Advanced->CCC every time.
    EDIT: Just made a hotkey to get there. *Smile Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 :)

Necrofire, Oct 27, 2019
  3. scevism Win User
    scevism, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 :(

ArmoredCavalry, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Windows 10 Start menu issue

yeah I've been less than happy with the start menu also.
    for me I for me I get freezes in start menu, especialy returning from sleep...which reminds me sleep is such a pain in the butt since I switch to Windows 10. Either waking up on its own, or system freezes when recovering from sleep

Stardock was a nice switch from vanilla, but i wasnt gonna buy it and 30 days goes by quick.

jboydgolfer, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Context

2. Disable Right-Click Context Menu in Start Menu of Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disable Right-Click Context Menu in Start Menu of Windows 10: [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to enable or disable the right-click […] This article Disable Right-Click Context Menu in Start Menu of Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. How to change Start menu context menus

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change Start menu context menus: Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of the "More" submenu and integrate its options into the main context menu? I believe this style was introduced in the Anniversary Update. Does anyone know why this was done? 72869
  4. Enable or Disable Emoji Context Menu in Google Chrome in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Emoji Context Menu in Google Chrome in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Emoji Context Menu in Google Chrome in Windows How to Enable or Disable Emoji Picker Context Menu in Google Chrome in Windows Starting with Google Chrome 68, you can set a flag for an experimental feature to enable or disable the Emoji picker...
  5. Start Menu context menu on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu context menu on Windows 10: Hi All, Thanks for visiting my thread. I'm rebuilding all computers to Windows 10 at the School I work at. I've been able to lock down everything using Group Policy and Registry tweaks apart from two niggling little issues. 1. I can't get rid of Open file location when...
  6. Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 When you perform one of the actions below, you will see a taskbar context menu. Right click or press and hold on the taskbar Press and hold Shift...
  7. Enable or Disable Wide Context Menus in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Wide Context Menus in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Wide Context Menus in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Wide Context Menus in Windows 10 A context menu is a menu in a graphical user interface (GUI) that appears when you right-click on an item in Windows. A context menu offers a limited set...
  8. Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015. [img] Information Windows...
  9. Send to Context Menu - Enable or Disable Delay Building in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Send to Context Menu - Enable or Disable Delay Building in Windows 10: How to: Send to Context Menu - Enable or Disable Delay Building in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Delay Send to Context Menu Build in Windows 10 The Send to context menu makes it easy for you to quickly send a copy of items (ex: files, folders, libraries) to...
  10. Remove Context Menus from START MENU Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Context Menus from START MENU Icons: Please be aware that setting the group policy option: "Remove Access to the Context Menus for the Taskbar" to "Enabled", in Windows 10, does NOT work. This Group Policy setting is located at: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu & Taskbar It is...