Windows 10: Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 When you perform one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10

When you perform one of the actions below, you will see a taskbar context menu.
    • Right click or press and hold on the taskbar
    • Press and hold Shift while right clicking on an icon on the taskbar
    • Right click or press and hold on the Clock system icon on the taskbar
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable access to taskbar context menus for specific or all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable access to taskbar context menus.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Taskbar context menus

Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Taskbar Context Menus
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Taskbar Context Menus
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoTrayContextMenu DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Taskbar Context Menus for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_taskbar_context_menus.reg

Download

3. To Disable Taskbar Context Menus for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_taskbar_context_menus.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 12, 2016

2. Problem with New Context Menu

The option to add a new Rich Text File seems to have disappeared from my Context Menu and I'm not sure why.

I'm not computer savvy, but after a bit of Googling I read how you can add and delete options from the New Context Menu though the Registry Editor. When I went to check it the .rtf folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT still has it's ShellNew folder so I'm not
    sure what the issue is or if perhaps there's something wrong with it. I also found a tool to easily enable/disable file types on the New Context Menu, and .rtf is listed along with everything else and checked off as "enabled" but for some reason is not showing
    up, even after I tried disabling and enabling it a couple of times. This is extremely frustrating as that's the file type I use the most.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is or how to fix it?

MadeOfKittens, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Necrofire Win User
    CCC Context menu

I was recently greeted to a new entry in my desktop context menu after installing 8.12 drivers with the Catalyst Control Center:

Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 ati2.png

I have no idea what the second entry does, since clicking it results in nothing happening.
    So I open up CCC and find this new section:

Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 ati1.png

It's completely disabled. I only have a single HD3850. The IGP on my mobo is nVidia, which is disabled anyway.

I spent the last hour or so finding a way to remove the second entry, and this is the only thing I could find:
    Deleting this key removes both entries from the context menu
    Code: KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE[/quote] This solved one problem and caused another. I do not like the tray icon, so I have it disabled, so the only way I know to get into CCC is via the context menu. Does anyone know of a way to disable just the "Configure Additive Graphics" entry and keep the CCC entry?

If I kept both disabled, is there some sort of shortcut I could make to get there instead? I don't want to have to go to Display->Settings->Advanced->CCC every time.
    EDIT: Just made a hotkey to get there. *Smile Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 :)

Necrofire, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

5. dalchina Win User
    Bluetooth + right click on taskbar?

#2: I think you're referring to the immersive context menu.
    Please see
    https://www.askvg.com/tip-get-rid-of...ws-10-taskbar/
    - but I doubt you'll be able to use that in your situation, for the same reason.

Then there's this:
    Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

I don't find this is particularly slow- nor for program icons- jump lists, frequent, tasks.

You might be able to use this:
    How to Increase the Number of Jump List Items in Windows 10
    to limit (rather than increase) the number shown. I don't know if that would help you.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Drag & Drop from taskbar context menus - Windows 10

Hi,

Just wanted to know if there is any way to drag & drop from Windows 10 taskbar context-menus? I used to be able to do this from Win8, but this feature seems to be disable with Win10.

Thanx

BarendKoorzen, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Taskbar

2. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  3. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  4. Windows 11 Context menus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Context menus: The actions one can take for an item file, folder, etc. show up in different ways:Across the topAcross the bottomIn a context menu I think "context menu" is the right term.others?This is a bit confusing -- not that one can't quickly figure out where to look, but that one...
  5. Disable Taskbar Context Menus for 'press and hold' (drag) ONLY??

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Taskbar Context Menus for 'press and hold' (drag) ONLY??: Hi, does anyone know if there's way to disable the taskbar context menus from being triggered by 'press and hold' ONLY? I use a regular pc and mouse, not a touchscreen, I don't need the ability to bring up those menus by dragging, but I don't want to disable them entirely, I...
  6. Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished: Win10 Pro (20H2, says winver). Updated from 2004; visually unchanged, including taskbar. Taskbar shortcuts' context menus are less useful, containing only - unpin - close (if referenced program is running). Formerly the menu contained also the name, whose submenu...
  7. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...
  8. Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 You can open a context menu in the Start Menu by right clicking or pressing and holding on an app's tile on the Start screen or...
  9. Taskbar & Context Menus not displaying correctly

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar & Context Menus not displaying correctly: This problem occurred after updating some programs using Secunia's PSI, although I don't believe the updates caused this (more later). Problems seen: Taskbar & its icons are displayed in a corrupted form (see screenshot) Date/Time is missing from the Notification area of...
  10. Enable or Disable Wide Context Menus in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Wide Context Menus in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Wide Context Menus in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Wide Context Menus in Windows 10 A context menu is a menu in a graphical user interface (GUI) that appears when you right-click on an item in Windows. A context menu offers a limited set...