Windows 10: Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 When talk to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Maggie, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Maggie Win User

Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

When talk to Cortana and other apps that use Windows cloud-based speech recognition. Microsoft will use your voice data to help improve their speech services.

When Speech Recognition app and other speech services that do not rely on Windows cloud-based services.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable online speech recognition services for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable online speech recognition services.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Online speech recognition enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and Regional and Language Options. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Regional and Language Options, double click/tap on the Allow users to enable online speech recognition services policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Online Speech Recognition
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Online Speech Recognition
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\InputPersonalization

AllowInputPersonalization DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Online Speech Recognition
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Online_speech_recognition_services.reg

Download

3. To Disable Online Speech Recognition
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Online_speech_recognition_services.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Maggie, Apr 27, 2017

2. Windows Speech Recognition

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would require more information to help you better.

Are facing any issue with speech recognition?

I would suggest you to follow the steps to see Advance speech options.

• Press Windows+X key on the keyboard
    • Click on control panel
    • Select speech recognition
    • On the left hand pane you will see Advance speech option
    I would also suggest you to refer to the below link:

How to use Speech Recognition

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/using-speech-recognition

(Step applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps and let us know if you have any further queries related to Windows we will be glad to help you.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 27, 2019
  3. sidneylo Win User
    Win 10 Speech Recognition

I was going to try the settings one more time as you suggested. However I ran into deadlock even at the first step:

“…Select the
    Speech Recognition > Set up Speech Recognition
    page…”

No such choice as “Set up Speech Recognition”. How can I send you the screen shot?

sidneylo, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

Speech recognition errors

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your query regarding speech recognition on the software you are using for Speech Recognizer. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• How many language packs are installed and enabled on your computer and what are they?

• Does this happen with all the language packs in the computer?

• What are the recent changes that you have made to the computer prior to this issue?

• Did you try any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?
    The issue might be due to settings on your computer. Let’s refer to the following suggestion and check the issue status.

Refer to these steps and check the issue status.

• Press Windows and X keys together.

• Click on Control Panel.

• Open Control Panel then Speech Recognition Options.

• In the upper right of the Speech Recognition Option window click
      Advanced Speech Options.

• Remove the checkmark next to, ‘Allow computer to review your documents’.

• Click Apply and click OK
    Refer below article to Use Speech Recognition:

Voice recognition in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/use-voice-recognition-in-windows-10#v1h=tab02

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 27, 2019
  5. global Win User
    Speech Recognition shortcut on the desktop?

Several threads suggest making a shortcut using the following string to turn on Windows 10 native Speech Recognition:

%windir%\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe -SpeechUX

However, I am trying for a Desktop Shortcut which enables Speech Recognition AND opens the Control Widget (the oval with the Microphone in the circle to control Mic on-off, etc.).

When I program in the suggested shortcut, the Control Widget does not appear and I'm not sure that SR is even turned on =no way to know since no way to turn on microphone that I know of without the Widget.

How can I enable SR to turn on, and the Widget to appear, through a desktop shortcut?

Also, I am just beginning to use this Windows native Speech Recognition, so I'm not too familiar with it yet but early results are promising. I have always used Dragon but have given up on that. I use speech recognition for voice to text dictation and not commands controlling the PC, etc.

I am gravitating toward the old Speech Recognition and not Speech Services (Win-H). Why? Because as I understand it, Speech Services (Win-H) relies on the Cloud back and forth, while Speech Services is wholly within the PC. Would rather not tie up Internet resources which might slow the process of dictation voice to text.

Any comments if the Cloud slows this down and whether your experience is that Speech Services is more, or less, accurate / easy to use than Win-H.

BTW, I have pretty much disabled Cortana, so maybe this disables Win-H, but I might reenable Cortana if Win-H is much better.

Thanks.

I have Windows 10 64 bit latest updates installed.

global, Oct 27, 2019
  6. dalchina Win User
    No speech recognition at all

Hi, this may be of interest:
    Installing additional language packs for Windows 10 speech recognition random ranting

This has downloads, + a complete list of languages availablefor Win 10:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=27224
    (but note the date)

fwiw I just tried it- my locale, speech, display language etc are set to UK English. (Which took some doing this time, or something was slightly messed up).

If I type speech in Cortana's search box, say, I get Windows Speech Recognition as top search.

I use Classic Shell, with the Control Panel expanded, so in a second or less I can see 'Speech Recognition' listed there.

Similarly, if I type 'Speech' in Settings I can easily see Speech Recognition.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With the speech recognition bar displayed, task manager shows:
    SpeechRuntime.exe in C:\Windows\System32\Speech_OneCore\Common ..........

sapisvr.exe in C:\Windows\Speech\Common

running.

=================================================
    Some (older) search results:

I came across this for Win 7
    Speech Recognition - Language Configuration is Not Supported Error Fix - Windows 7 Help Forums
    - maybe there's an updated one here (see Tutorials).

There are a couple of helpful links at the end of this (but Win 7 again)
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-cb0ae84c939d

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Online

2. Online Speech Recognition is grayed Out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Online Speech Recognition is grayed Out: Hi, this is what i am facing. And this is causing the windows + h key to do nothing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/online-speech-recognition-is-grayed-out/9b2bcee8-25c5-4e19-ad0b-de55c8d7c2ae
  3. Online Speech recognition (managed by organization)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Online Speech recognition (managed by organization): Please help I can't enable it and from using google the regedit change isn't enabling it and I need it for Phasmophobia submitted by /u/LongSchlongdonf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jltob8/online_speech_recognition_managed_by_organization/
  4. Disabling speech recognition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disabling speech recognition: I want to disable Speech Recognition from starting on my computer. Can you give me instructions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-speech-recognition/ddd331ca-28cb-41cc-aca4-f68c17b4639b
  5. Enable online speech recognition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable online speech recognition: @Brink. There is a tutorial at Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 which shows how to enable and disable online speech recognition. Given your tutorial was written December 2018 I'm going to assume it applies to 1809, which is good, since that's the...
  6. Can't enable speech recognition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't enable speech recognition: I am unable to enable speech recognition. Can you help me? I got an error message saying that Speech Recognition could not start. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-enable-speech-recognition/aebf33f1-10bf-4849-9b06-1d5f04c23a0b
  7. Enable or Disable Speech Recognition Voice Activation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Speech Recognition Voice Activation in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Speech Recognition Voice Activation in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Voice Activation for Speech Recognition in Windows 10 When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without...
  8. Enable or Disable Document Review for Speech Recognition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Document Review for Speech Recognition in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Document Review for Speech Recognition in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Document Review for Speech Recognition in Windows 10 When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without...
  9. Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10 When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without needing a...
  10. Turn On or Off Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 When talk to Cortana and other apps that use Windows cloud-based speech recognition. Microsoft will use your voice data to help improve their...