Windows 10: Start Speech Recognition in Windows 10

Discus and support Start Speech Recognition in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Start Speech Recognition in Windows 10 How to Start Speech Recognition in Windows 10 When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by GalaxyGe, Sep 29, 2017.

1. GalaxyGe Win User

Start Speech Recognition in Windows 10

How to: Start Speech Recognition in Windows 10

How to Start Speech Recognition in Windows 10

When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without needing a keyboard or mouse.

Using only your voice, you can open menus, click buttons and other objects on the screen, dictate text into documents, and write and send emails. Just about anything you do with your keyboard and mouse can be done with only your voice.

Speech Recognition is only available for the following languages: English (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, India, and Australia), French, German, Japanese, Mandarin (Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional), and Spanish.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you different ways on how to start and open Speech Recognition for your account in Windows 10.

*note If you have not already setup Speech Recognition, then the Set up Speech Recognition wizard will open instead of Speech Recognition when you try to start Speech Recognition.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Speech Recognition open in listening mode

Start Speech Recognition in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Run Speech Recognition at Startup
    1. Turn on Run Speech Recognition at startup.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn Speech Recognition On or Off using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press the Win+Ctrl+S keys to toggle Speech Recognition on or off.

OPTION THREE [/i] Start Speech Recognition using Context Menu
    1. Add the Start Speech Recognition context menu if you haven't already.

2. Right click or press and hold on your desktop, and click/tap on Start Speech Recognition in the context menu. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Turn Speech Recognition On or Off in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

2. Click/tap on Speech on the left side, and turn on or off Turn on Speech Recognition for what you want on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Start Speech Recognition in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Speech Recognition icon.

2. Click/tap on the Start Speech Recognition link. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close the Speech Recognition control panel if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] Start Speech Recognition in Run
    1. Open Run (Win+R).

2. Copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow %windir%\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe -SpeechUX -Startup

OPTION SEVEN [/i] Start Speech Recognition in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow %windir%\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe -SpeechUX -Startup

OPTION EIGHT [/i] Open Speech Recognition from Speech Recognition Notification Area Icon
    1. While Speech Recognition is currently running (started) and minimized, perform one of the following actions: (see screenshot below)
    A) Double click/tap on the Speech Recognition notification area icon on the taskbar.

OR

B) Right click or press and hold on the Speech Recognition notification area icon on the taskbar, and click/tap on Open Speech Recognition.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

GalaxyGe, Sep 29, 2017

2. Windows Speech Recognition

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would require more information to help you better.

Are facing any issue with speech recognition?

I would suggest you to follow the steps to see Advance speech options.

• Press Windows+X key on the keyboard
    • Click on control panel
    • Select speech recognition
    • On the left hand pane you will see Advance speech option
    I would also suggest you to refer to the below link:

How to use Speech Recognition

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/using-speech-recognition

(Step applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps and let us know if you have any further queries related to Windows we will be glad to help you.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 27, 2019
  3. sidneylo Win User
    Win 10 Speech Recognition

I was going to try the settings one more time as you suggested. However I ran into deadlock even at the first step:

“…Select the
    Speech Recognition > Set up Speech Recognition
    page…”

No such choice as “Set up Speech Recognition”. How can I send you the screen shot?

sidneylo, Oct 27, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

No speech recognition at all

Hi, this may be of interest:
    Installing additional language packs for Windows 10 speech recognition random ranting

This has downloads, + a complete list of languages availablefor Win 10:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=27224
    (but note the date)

fwiw I just tried it- my locale, speech, display language etc are set to UK English. (Which took some doing this time, or something was slightly messed up).

If I type speech in Cortana's search box, say, I get Windows Speech Recognition as top search.

I use Classic Shell, with the Control Panel expanded, so in a second or less I can see 'Speech Recognition' listed there.

Similarly, if I type 'Speech' in Settings I can easily see Speech Recognition.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With the speech recognition bar displayed, task manager shows:
    SpeechRuntime.exe in C:\Windows\System32\Speech_OneCore\Common ..........

sapisvr.exe in C:\Windows\Speech\Common

running.

=================================================
    Some (older) search results:

I came across this for Win 7
    Speech Recognition - Language Configuration is Not Supported Error Fix - Windows 7 Help Forums
    - maybe there's an updated one here (see Tutorials).

There are a couple of helpful links at the end of this (but Win 7 again)
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-cb0ae84c939d

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  5. How to turn off Speech recognition in Windows 10?

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to turn off speech recognition in Windows 10

• Click Start then type: Change text to speech options in search bar.
    • Hit enter.
    • Select the Speech Recognition tab
    • Under 'User Settings' uncheck 'Run speech recognition at startup'
    • Click Apply and OK
    Hope this helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Speech recognition errors

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your query regarding speech recognition on the software you are using for Speech Recognizer. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• How many language packs are installed and enabled on your computer and what are they?

• Does this happen with all the language packs in the computer?

• What are the recent changes that you have made to the computer prior to this issue?

• Did you try any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?
    The issue might be due to settings on your computer. Let’s refer to the following suggestion and check the issue status.

Refer to these steps and check the issue status.

• Press Windows and X keys together.

• Click on Control Panel.

• Open Control Panel then Speech Recognition Options.

• In the upper right of the Speech Recognition Option window click
      Advanced Speech Options.

• Remove the checkmark next to, ‘Allow computer to review your documents’.

• Click Apply and click OK
    Refer below article to Use Speech Recognition:

Voice recognition in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/use-voice-recognition-in-windows-10#v1h=tab02

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Start Speech Recognition in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Start Speech Recognition

2. Speech recognition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech recognition: My built-in microphone isn't working. Worse, my microphone built into my headset isn't working either. I can hear fine from the speakers both built into the computer and from the headset, but can't speak at all. What's wrong?...
  3. Speech recognition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speech recognition: Am using Windows 10. There is also Speech recognition. If i want to use it can i use an Virtual mic?Because i have a view movies with no subtitles.And for these movies are no subtitles to get.I have to put Dutch words on text so i can translate it to English....
  4. Speech Recognition during start up..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speech Recognition during start up..: It appears that my Speech Recognition app is tied to start up on my laptop. How can this be disabled during start up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speech-recognition-during-start-up/db7a6cfb-5a95-448b-a13f-14c9738d6460
  5. Speech Recognition

in Cortana
    Speech Recognition: error message: Speech Recognition could not start. Please change the recognizer language in the speech recognition control panel under advanced options https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speech-recognition/c792bbcf-3664-4fad-b907-a9cb820f79fd"
  6. SPEECH RECOGNITION

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SPEECH RECOGNITION: Following a recent update, my speech recognition no longer works, instead showing a message I must change the recogniser language settings in the speech recognition control panel under advanced options. I can't find speech recognition control panel OR advanced options. I...
  7. Windows Speech Recognition

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Speech Recognition: Does anyone else despise the Speech Recognition app as much as I do? Apparently, someone at Microsoft thought it was a good idea to remove the simple little microphone that made it possible for me to ask questions in the Search field, and in Gmail replies. What a mistake....
  8. Windows speech recognition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows speech recognition: Windows speech recognition, on Windows 10, won't start up from control panel. The only way to get it to start is rebooting my system. Anyway to fix this?...
  9. SPEECH RECOGNITION

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SPEECH RECOGNITION: I HAVE WINDOWS 10. THE SPEECH RECOGNITION DOES NOT LOAD AT STARTUUPCAN I CORRECT THIS? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/speech-recognition/43c4fd94-71ab-4012-9ab3-0da1e255ed0a
  10. Create Start Speech Recognition Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Start Speech Recognition Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Start Speech Recognition Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Start Speech Recognition Shortcut in Windows 10 When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without needing a keyboard or mouse....