Windows 10: Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Kari, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Kari Win User

Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows

Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows [​IMG]
    Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system to log an event when users are near their quota, and to deny further disk space to users who exceed their quota. Administrators can also generate reports, and use the event monitor to track quota issues.

Enforcing disk quota limits is optional. When users reach an enforced disk quota limit, the system responds as though the physical space on the volume were exhausted. When users reach an unenforced limit, their status in the Quota Entries window changes, but they can continue to write to the volume as long as physical space is available.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable enforcing disk quota limits for specific or all NTFS volumes in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable enforcing disk quota limits

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for Specific NTFS Drive in Drive Properties
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for Specific NTFS Drive in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for All NTFS Drives in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for All NTFS Drives using a BAT file

EXAMPLE: "Enforced disk quota limit reached" and "Quota Entries"

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for Specific NTFS Drive in Drive Properties
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to first enable disk quotas for the NTFS drive (ex: "G") you want to enable or disable enforcing disk quota limits on.

2. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E).

3. Right click or press and hold on the NTFS drive (ex: "G") you want to enable or disable disk enforcing disk quota limits for, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Quota tab, and click/tap on the Show Quota Settings button. (see screenshot below)

5. Check (enable) or uncheck (disable) the Deny disk space to users exceeding quota limit box for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 4)

7. You may also want to:

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for Specific NTFS Drive in Command Prompt
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to first enable disk quotas for the drive (ex: "G") you want to enable or disable enforcing disk quota limits on.

2. Open an elevated command prompt.

3. Do step 4 (enable) or step 5 (disable) below for what you want to do.

4. To Enable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for Specific NTFS Drive
    A) Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow fsutil quota enforce <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above for the the actual drive letter (ex: "G") of the NTFS volume you want to enable enforcing disk quota limits for.

For example: fsutil quota enforce G:

5. To Disable Disk Quotas and Enforce Disk Quota Limits for Specific NTFS Drive
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow fsutil quota disable <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above for the the actual drive letter (ex: "G") of the NTFS volume you want to disable enforcing disk quota limits for.

For example: fsutil quota disable G:

6. You can now close the elevated command prompt.

7. You may also want to:

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for All NTFS Drives in Local Group Policy Editor

Note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor will only be available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor will only be available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor will only be available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four below to set this same policy.

1. If you haven't already, you will need to first enable disk quotas for all NTFS drives to be able to enable enforcing disk quota limits on them.

2. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

3. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Disk Quotas

4. In the right pane of Disk Quotas in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Enforce disk quota limit policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

5. Do step 6 (enable), step 7 (disable), or step 8 (not configured) below for what you would like to do.

6. To Enable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for All NTFS Drives

Note If you enable this policy setting, disk quota limits are enforced. When you enable this policy setting, the system disables the "Deny disk space to users exceeding quota limit" option on the Quota tab so administrators cannot make changes using Option One or Option Two while the setting is in effect.

A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below step 8)

7. To Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for All NTFS Drives

Note If you disable this policy setting, disk quota limits are not enforced. When you disable this policy setting, the system disables the "Deny disk space to users exceeding quota limit" option on the Quota tab so administrators cannot make changes using Option One or Option Two while the setting is in effect.

A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below step 7)

8. To Set Enforce Disk Quota Limit Policy to Not Configured

Note This is the default setting.

If you do not configure this policy setting, the disk quota limit is not enforced by default, but administrators can change the setting using Option One or Option Two.

A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below step 7)

9. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

10. You may also want to:

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Disk Quotas for All NTFS Drives using a BAT file

Note The downloadable .bat files below will change the registry key and value below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DiskQuota

Enforce DWORD

(delete) = Not Configured (Default)
    0 = Disabled
    1 = Enabled

1. Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (not configured) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for All NTFS Drives

Note If you enable this policy setting, disk quota limits are enforced. When you enable this policy setting, the system disables the "Deny disk space to users exceeding quota limit" option on the Quota tab so administrators cannot make changes using Option One or Option Two while the setting is in effect.

This setting will also enable disk quotas for all NTFS drives.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 5 below.

Enable_enforce_Disk_Quota_limits_for_all_NTFS_volumes.bat

Download

3. To Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits for All NTFS Drives

Note If you disable this policy setting, disk quota limits are not enforced. When you disable this policy setting, the system disables the "Deny disk space to users exceeding quota limit" option on the Quota tab so administrators cannot make changes using Option One or Option Two while the setting is in effect.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_enforce_Disk_Quota_limits_for_all_NTFS_volumes.bat

Download

4. To Set Enforce Disk Quota Limit Policy to Not Configured

Note This is the default setting.

If you do not configure this policy setting, the disk quota limit is not enforced by default, but administrators can change the setting using Option One or Option Two.

Not_Configured_enforce_Disk_Quota_limits_for_all_NTFS_volumes.bat

Download
    5. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

6. Unblock the .bat file.

7. Right click or press and hold on the downloaded .bat file, and click/tap on Run as administrator.

8. You will now see a command prompt open, apply the registry changes, update group policy, and automatically close.

9. You may also want to:

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 - File Folder Quota Set - Is it possible?

Hi, please ask him for the exact text of the message- you can then research it properly.

See these - but these refer to a drive, not a folder:
    How to use Windows 10 disk Quota to limit user storage | Windows Central
    Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows | Windows 10 Tutorials
    https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-are-disk-quotas-how-set-them-windows

On another note, please encourage him to save personal data on another disk or partition- and in particular not on his desktop.

Things can go wrong on the 6 monthly upgrades, when people lose their desktop content being allocated temporary profiles.

And of course, back up. Disks fail. Bad things happen.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    How to disable driver signature enforcement permenently.

Hi Ashan,

Driver Signature Enforcement is one of the security features that we make to make sure that only signed drivers can load on your system. Take note that disabling driver signature enforcement will install drivers that weren’t officially signed. To disable
    driver signature enforcement permanently, you can follow the steps below:

• Open an elevated Command Prompt. To do this, press the Windows
      key, type Command Prompt, press right click on the
      Command Prompt and select Run
      as administrator.
    • Type or paste the following:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on
    • Restart your computer.

If you want to enable the driver signature enforcement, just follow the steps above and type or paste the following:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows

how to enable driver Signature Enforcement

Hello Nitish,

I would surely help you with this query.

I suggest you to use the following steps to enable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows.

• In the Search Bar type cmd.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select
      Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on
      Yes.
    • Type bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF and hit enter.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know if it helped.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Gino Des Win User
    disable driver signature enforcement

Hi Barbara,

To resolve this issue, let's use the command prompt to disable driver signature enforcement permanently on your computer. To disable, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button.
    • On the search bar, type Command Prompt and then right-click
      Command Prompt
      in the results.
    • Select Run as Administrator, and then select Yes.
    • On the command prompt, enter bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on and press
      Enter.
    • Restart your computer.

Note: Doing this step will disable driver signature enforcement permanently and will make your computer vulnerable to driver issues.

Keep us updated with the results.

Gino Des, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How to disable driver signature enforcement permenently.

I does you solution in cmd admin mode. but not correct this problem. Hasp key is not work. Cmd command not work an i was tired. Its work only disable driver signature enforcement mode .. how can
    i fix this ? Help me...

AshanMaduranga, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows

1. Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Enforce

2. How to enable a disk that was disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable a disk that was disabled: Some time ago I installed a SDD in my Lenovo desktop Win10 and disabled the hard drive, and now want to use that drive to store a backup clone of my system. I don't recall the steps used to perform the disable, but I believe I utilized either disk or device management...
  3. How to enable a disk that was disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to enable a disk that was disabled: Some time ago I installed a SDD in my Lenovo desktop Win10 and disabled the hard drive, and now want to use that drive to store a backup clone of my system. I don't recall the steps used to perform the disable, but I believe I utilized either disk or device management...
  4. Enforce a cumulative time quota available for Windows 10 usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Enforce a cumulative time quota available for Windows 10 usage: Hi everyone, I want to put a cumulative quota of usage, so that any given week I have a total of 10:30hs at my disposal to use the computer. My wish is to use 90 minutes a day, but in a flexible way, never exceeding during the week the total maximum cumulative quote of 10...
  5. Enable Disk Quota using Disk Properties, Registry, or Group Policy Editor in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable Disk Quota using Disk Properties, Registry, or Group Policy Editor in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows 10 with multiple users puts no restriction on the amount of space one can occupy on the existing storage. This makes the whole system […] This article Enable Disk Quota using Disk Properties, Registry, or Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  6. Enable Log Event when Disk Quota Warning Level Exceeded in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Log Event when Disk Quota Warning Level Exceeded in Windows: How to: Enable Log Event when Disk Quota Warning Level Exceeded in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system...
  7. Enable or Disable Log Event when Disk Quota Limit Exceeded in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Log Event when Disk Quota Limit Exceeded in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Log Event when Disk Quota Limit Exceeded in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the...
  8. Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for New Users in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for New Users in Windows: How to: Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for New Users in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system to...
  9. Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows: How to: Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system...
  10. Enable or Disable Disk Quotas in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Disk Quotas in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Disk Quotas in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system to log an event when users...