Windows 10: Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Icon in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Icon in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Icon in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Notification Area... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Icon in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Icon in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Notification Area Icon in Windows 10

The Windows Update Status icon in the taskbar notification area was first introduced in the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803).

By default, the Windows Update Status notification icon will only show on the taskbar when there is a warning or alert about Windows Update showing on the Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update page.

You can click/tap on the Windows Update Status icon to open the Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update page.

You can right click on the Windows Update Status icon, it will open a context menu to click/tap on available options. The available options will vary depending on what the warning or alert is for, but can be: Restart now, Schedule restart, Download now, Open Windows Update, and Hide for now.

If you prefer to not to see the Windows Update Status icon, you can disable it.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the Windows Update Status icon in the taskbar notification area for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Temporarily Hide Windows Update Status Icon for Current User
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Icon for Current User
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Icon for All Users

EXAMPLE: "Windows Update Status" icon in the taskbar notification area

Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Icon in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Temporarily Hide Windows Update Status Icon for Current User
    1 Right click or press and hold on the Windows Update Status icon, and click/tap on Hide for now. (see screenshot below)

This will temporarily hide the Windows Update Status icon until the next time you get a warning or alert notification for Windows Update.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Icon for Current User
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2 Click/tap on Taskbar on the left side, and click/tap on the Select which icons appear on the taskbar link under Notification area on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3 Do step 4 (enable) or step 5 (disable) below for what you want.

4. To Enable Windows Update Status Icon for Current User
    This is the default setting.

A) Turn on either Windows Update Status or Always show all icons in the notification area for what you want, and go to step 6. (see screenshots below)

5. To Disable Windows Update Status Icon for Current User
    A) Turn off Always show all icons in the notification area. (see screenshot below)

B) Turn off Windows Update Status, and go to step 6.

6 You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Icon for All Users
    You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

TrayIconVisibility DWORD

<delete> = Enable
    0 = Disable

1 Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Windows Update Status Icon for All Users
    This is the default setting. It will allow users to be able to use Option One or Option Two.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Windows_Update_Status_notification_icon_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Disable Windows Update Status Icon for All Users
    This will override Option One and Option Two.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Windows_Update_Status_notification_icon_for_all_users.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 Restart the computer to apply.

8 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 27, 2018

2. Windows 10 Attains RTM Status

Interesting; did a Windows 8.1 update and after reboot there is an icon on the taskbar......When you mouse over it, it states "Get Windows 10." *Stick Out Tongue Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Icon in Windows 10 :p

stinger608, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add Windows 7 Taskbar icon GPU freq./temperature/RAM used meter

Please add an option (which will also require an Options/Settings screen however, or else the main menu will be too cluttered) to have the GPU freq., temperature, videoRAM used and/or maybe GPU load shown in the program taskbar icon on Windows 7.
    It could have two options - cycle between modes (for example about each 10 seconds), or always show the same value - for example, GPU temp or load/etc.
    See how Core Temp does this for an example. (WinZIP also shows such a meter when decompressing archives.)

What do you think, could this be useful?

C++ examples here:
    Windows 7 Taskbar Dynamic Overlay Icons and Progress Bars
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows/ar...-dynamic-overlay-icons-and-progress-bars.aspx
    Windows 7 Goodies in C++: Taskbar Progress and Status Indicators
    Windows 7 Goodies in C++: Taskbar Progress and Status Indicators

4. W1zzard Win User

Windows 10 update being enabled.

My experience was that disabling Windows Update service works for a while until suddenly that service is magically enabled again and starts updating everything.

W1zzard, Oct 27, 2019
  5. MrGenius Win User
    MrGenius, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Knoxx29 Win User
    Windows 10 update being enabled.

Good to know, i will check later to see if it's still disabled.

Knoxx29, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Windows Update Status Taskbar Icon in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Update

2. Windows Update Status icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Update Status icon: I understand that when the Windows Update Status icon with a small circle in the corner appears in my Notification Area, Windows is asking me to restart so it can install updates. Yet even though I have this icon "on" in the Settings screen, I usually can't see it on the...
  3. Enable or Disable Windows Update Status icon in System Tray on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Status icon in System Tray on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft added a new feature to the Windows 10 operating system which notified the users when there was a new update pending restart to get installed. In this, a new Windows Update icon popped up in the Notification area of [...] This post Enable or Disable...
  4. Taskbar icon - Windows Update Status - how to KILL it?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Taskbar icon - Windows Update Status - how to KILL it?: Hello All, I have a desktop and a laptop both running Win10x64. I've had the desktop for a longer time, and I can't remember how I managed to completely kill off anything update related. It's been so quiet on that front for a year+ now that I completely forgot about fighting...
  5. Enable or Disable Animations in the Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Animations in the Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Animations in the Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Animations in the Taskbar in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 uses animations in the taskbar. Some examples of taskbar animation are: Slide effect when dragging icons on...
  6. Enable or Disable Taskbar Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Taskbar Settings in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Taskbar Settings in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Taskbar Settings in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to...
  7. Enable or Disable Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to...
  8. Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you...
  9. Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to...
  10. Enable or Disable System Icons on Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable System Icons on Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable System Icons on Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable System Icons on Taskbar in Windows 10 [img] Information The Clock, Volume, Network, Power, and Action Center system icons are located on the taskbar notification area (aka: system...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to enable windows update suats icon