Windows 10: Hide Specific File or Folder from Quick Access in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide Specific File or Folder from Quick Access in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Thank you Brink. Excellent tutorial as usual, *Smile except I suppose it was from the pre-release version of Windows 10 and my official release... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by onefreeborn, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Hide Specific File or Folder from Quick Access in Windows 10

Thank you Brink.
    Excellent tutorial as usual, *Smile except I suppose it was from the pre-release version of Windows 10 and my official release Windows 10 now says "Remove from Quick access" instead of "Hide from recent" for files, and "Hide from frequent" for folders. But that's a minuscule critique; I did still clearly understand the method. Thanks again. However, I have a slightly different need. I have dozens of client sales folders, and reports for each, that I don't need to clutter my recent files or Quick access.

Is there any way to easily exclude a folder, and it's subfolders and files, from Quick access and Recent files entirely, and BEFORE they show up in any Quick access or Recent files list? Right now, I can 'exclude' them using your method AFTER they've shown up in Quick access or recent, but that means I have to vigilantly wait until each of, say, 10 subfolders shows up in Quick access before being able to tell Windows to never show it. This is so inefficient. Furthermore, in the future, if I add a new 11th subfolder, must I watch for it to show in Quick access and exclude it manually too?

I'm thinking that there must be a way to just exclude folders and contents beforehand. Thank you for any input or idea.

:)

onefreeborn, Oct 18, 2015

2. "frequently used folder" in "quick access" only has pinned folder

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

In File Explorer in left panel click "Quick Access" - then in right panel Right Click on that folder - Unpin from Quick Access. Then if it is still showing Right Click on it again "Remove from Quick Access" <-- you

may need to close and re-open File Explorer between those two operations.

How to Pin or Unpin Locations from Quick access in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2893-pin-un...

How to Hide a Specific File or Folder from Quick access in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4448-hide-s...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 18, 2015
  3. GuiBoca Win User
    Windows 10 Explorer quick access: pin a file (not a folder).

windows 10 explorer quick access: how do you pin a specific file (not a complete folder) into quick access? thank you!

GuiBoca, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hide Specific File or Folder from Quick Access in Windows 10

Hello onefreeborn, *Smile

I've updated the screenshots and wording in the tutorial for the latest build to help.

I'm afraid that I'm not currently aware of a way to exclude folders and files from showing up in Quick access in the first place.

Brink, Oct 18, 2015
  5. Ok, understood. Please let me know here if you do run across a solution in the future.
    And once again, thank you Brink, for your efforts over many years. I've benefited from your knowledge for many years... at least from the Sevenforums on as I can recall. Your oft unrewarded efforts do not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

onefreeborn, Oct 18, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It may take a day to have frequent folders added.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  7. tracit99 Win User
    Hi Shawn,

From looking at you screenshots from above I noticed that the bottom four items in you Quick Access list are not pinned. How did those folders get there without being pinned? Is there way to add a folder to Quick Access without pinning?

tracit99, Apr 4, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Michael, *Smile

They were just added automatically as frequent folders for me.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  9. tracit99 Win User
    Thanks Shawn. I turned on add Frequent folders in Quick Access options and Downloads was added but it was pinned. I will give it another try.

tracit99, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide Specific File or Folder from Quick Access in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Specific File

2. Hide Quick Access Option

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hide Quick Access Option: Is there a way to hide the "Quick Access" in Windows Explorer? Just curious. I know I can hide things from there in options but I wanted to see if I could get rid of it altogether. Thanks 53011
  3. Quick Access folders missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick Access folders missing: I don't know what I did while tweaking, but somehow I found that my Quick Access' folders (pinned and recent) have become missing! I can't do a system restore, so can anyone provide the default registry settings for Quick Access? [img] I only know they were there as...
  4. Saving a file to a folder listed in "Quick Access"

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving a file to a folder listed in "Quick Access": When I download a pdf file (A billing statement in this case), I would like to select "Save As" and be able to select the folder directly from one of the folders shown in Quick Access that is shown in File Explorer without having to rummage through all the folders on my three...
  5. Quick Access folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access folders: Right now Quick Access will show the real folder name once the folder is added. One might have multiple folders with an identical name but on different locations on the drive, e.g. x:\PDF\MyName x:\XLS\MyName x:\Doc\MyName Is there no way to provide these a kind of...
  6. Quick access missing folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access missing folders?: In file explorer I just noticed today that there is no music and videos folder in quick access. Is something wrong or did ms remove them. Henry 67726
  7. Quick access folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access folders: Hi i have noticed that some folder i use have appeared under the quick access list and there does not seem to be a a way of removing them Folders i have added to this list have a small pin on the right and its easy to unpin them but these folder do not have the pin so how...
  8. Recent file or folders in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent file or folders in Quick Access: I have browsed through Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials However it is not clear to me, how I may keep only the normal items, but not continually add "recent" items. Sorry if this seems a stupid thread, but...
  9. Any way to disable / Hide Quick Access in File explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to disable / Hide Quick Access in File explorer: Hi folks I find the quick access displays in File explorer mega annoying -- any way to hide it or better disable it altogether. Cheers jimbo 108605
  10. Quick access folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access folder: Hello guys.. When i open something like Downloads or Pictures open automaticaly and the same folders to ''This PC'' How can i disable this ? Thanks [img] 63939