Windows 10: How to run RHEL 8 under Windows subsystem for linux (WSL)

Discus and support How to run RHEL 8 under Windows subsystem for linux (WSL) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Problem I do not see RHEL 8 in the Windows 10 Pro store, as a WSL option to buy or use. I see Kali Linux, Ubuntu, Alpine Linux, SUSE 12 Enterprise,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/devlocalca, Oct 29, 2019.

1. How to run RHEL 8 under Windows subsystem for linux (WSL)

Problem

I do not see RHEL 8 in the Windows 10 Pro store, as a WSL option to buy or use. I see Kali Linux, Ubuntu, Alpine Linux, SUSE 12 Enterprise, Debian, and every other Linux distribution, except for RHEL 8, what may be the most widely used distro in the enterprise, certainly in the top three.

It is an option from a pull down in every cloud provider when creating a VM, but not in the Windows store.

How do I install/run RHEL 8 under WSL (by any means, if it's not in the store, and may not be ever)?

If anyone has had any luck with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Provide background including what you've already tried.

I have tried installing RHEL 8 under Virtual Box, it fails, crashes, jittery, no screen, significant mouse problems. I get VirtualBox warnings from the RHEL install that this will not work in the first place as it's not tested.

RHEL does not put any time, energy or effort into validating that it will run under Oracle VirtualBox.

Describe expected and actual results including any error messages.

I want to be able to goto the Windows store, download in a click, install RHEL 8, then when running, enter my developer license key, run #yum update -y, get going.

I can do this, exactly as described with SUSE 12 Enterprise and every other linux distro out there.

If instructions are provided, how would I roll my own RHEL 8 artifacts for use in WSL ( have it installed on a NUC that I could do something with there ).

submitted by /u/devlocalca
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/devlocalca, Oct 29, 2019

2. See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in File Explorer

How to List All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10

The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools directly on Windows, alongside your traditional Windows desktop and modern store apps.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18342 (19H1) and Windows 10 build 18836 (20H1), Microsoft added some new commands that will give you more functionality when using wsl.exe. The commands that existed inside of wslconfig.exe have been added to wsl.exe to allow you to configure your distros more easily.

--list or --l has been added to wsl.exe that lists all distributions available for the current user. You could use --running with --list to see all currently running imported WSL distros.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to see a list of names of all currently running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) distros for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in File Explorer
    • Option Two: See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in PowerShell

How to run RHEL 8 under Windows subsystem for linux (WSL) [​IMG]
    OPTION ONE
    See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Click/tap on Linux in the navigation pane, and click/tap on the Distros shortcut. (see screenshot below)

3. You will now see the names of all currently running WSL distros for your account. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below for your version of Windows 10 into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (For Windows 10 version 1903 and later)
    wsl --list --running or wsl -l --running

OR

(For versions earlier than Windows 10 version 1903)
    *Arrow wslconfig /list /running or wslconfig /l /running
    3. You will now see a list of names for all currently running WSL distros for your account.

OPTION THREE
    See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Command Prompt
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below for your version of Windows 10 into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    wsl --list --running or wsl -l --running

OR

(For versions earlier than Windows 10 version 1903)
    *Arrow wslconfig /list /running or wslconfig /l /running
    3. You will now see a list of names for all currently running WSL distros for your account.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro from Start Menu

How to Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10

The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools directly on Windows, alongside your traditional Windows desktop and modern store apps.

When you have default WSL distro or a specified WSL distro to send commands to.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18342 (19H1) and Windows 10 build 18836 (20H1), Microsoft added some new commands that will give you more functionality when using wsl.exe. The commands that existed inside of wslconfig.exe have been added to wsl.exe to allow you to configure your distros more easily.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you different ways to run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) distro in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro from Start Menu
    • Option Two: Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro from Command Prompt
    • Option Three: Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro from PowerShell

OPTION ONE
    Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro from Start Menu
    *note Running a WSL distribution using its distro-specific app launches that distribution in its own console window.
    1. Open All Apps in your Start menu.

2. Perform one of the following actions below for how you want to run the installed WSL distro app (ex: "Debian"). (see screenshot below)
    A) Click/tap on the WSL distro app (ex: "Debian").

OR

B) Right click/tap on the WSL distro app (ex: "Debian"), click/tap on More, and click/tap on Run as administrator.

OPTION TWO
    Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro from Command Prompt
    1. Open a elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command you want to use below into the command prompt to run the imported WSL distro app you want. (see screenshots below)
    (Run default WSL distro)
    *Arrow wsl

OR
    (Run default WSL distro as a specific user)
    *Arrow wsl -u <Username> OR wsl --user <Username>

*note Substitute <Username> with the name of the user you want to run this WSL distro as. Please note that user must exist inside of the WSL distribution. This will not be a Windows 10 user account.

For example: wsl --user brink

OR
    (Run specific WSL distro)
    *Arrow wsl -d <DistributionName> OR wsl --distribution <DistributionName>

*note Substitute <DistributionName> with the name of an available WSL distro (ex: "Debian") you want to run.

For example: wsl --distribution Debian

OR
    (Run specific WSL distro as a specific user)
    *Arrow wsl -u <Username> -d <DistributionName> OR wsl --user <Username> --distribution <DistributionName>

*note Substitute <Username> with the name of the user you want to run this WSL distro as. Please note that user must exist inside of the WSL distribution. This will not be a Windows 10 user account.

Substitute <DistributionName> with the name of an available WSL distro (ex: "Debian") you want to run.

For example: wsl --user brink --distribution Debian

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

OPTION THREE
    Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro from PowerShell
    1. Open a elevated PowerShell.

2. Enter the command you want to use below into PowerShell to run the imported WSL distro app you want. (see screenshots below)
    (Run default WSL distro)
    *Arrow wsl

OR
    (Run default WSL distro as a specific user)
    *Arrow wsl -u <Username> OR wsl --user <Username>

For example: wsl --user brink

OR
    (Run specific WSL distro)
    *Arrow wsl -d <DistributionName> OR wsl --distribution <DistributionName>

*note Substitute <DistributionName> with the name of an available WSL distro (ex: "Debian") you want to run.

For example: wsl --distribution Debian

OR
    (Run specific WSL distro as a specific user)
    *Arrow wsl -u <Username> -d <DistributionName> OR wsl --user <Username> --distribution <DistributionName>

Substitute <DistributionName> with the name of an available WSL distro (ex: "Debian") you want to run.

For example: wsl --user brink --distribution Debian

3. When finished, you can close PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 29, 2019
  4. How to run RHEL 8 under Windows subsystem for linux (WSL)

Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

How to run RHEL 8 under Windows subsystem for linux (WSL)

1. How to run RHEL 8 under Windows subsystem for linux (WSL) - Similar Threads - run RHEL under

2. WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found: Guys help, I've contacted ms support multiple times and none of the agents have been able to solve the issue.so, I have Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL with Ubuntu installed. yesterday, i tried to install docker, and it was kind of a mess, so i just uninstalled it in every...
  3. WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found: Guys help, I've contacted ms support multiple times and none of the agents have been able to solve the issue.so, I have Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL with Ubuntu installed. yesterday, i tried to install docker, and it was kind of a mess, so i just uninstalled it in every...
  4. WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL: I’m having trouble with the Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to open WSL, it automatically closes within a second. I’ve tried disabling and re-enabling the WSL feature, but the issue persists. Can anyone provide guidance on how to...
  6. relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL: I’m having trouble with the Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to open WSL, it automatically closes within a second. I’ve tried disabling and re-enabling the WSL feature, but the issue persists. Can anyone provide guidance on how to...
  7. relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL

8. Introducing Linux GUI apps running on Windows using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Introducing Linux GUI apps running on Windows using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/no_quests [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mvlwj9/introducing_linux_gui_apps_running_on_windows/
  9. WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux

WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux: 11/11/2018 I have windows 10, version 1803, OS build 17134.37 In powershell as administrator, I run the command: enable-windowsoptionalfeature -online -featurename microsoft-windows-subsystem-linux and receive error: enable-windowsoptionalfeature : the referenced...
  10. Run Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Run Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10: How to: Run Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 How to Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools directly on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wsl redhat 8