Windows 10: is it safe to run win 10 with encryption disabled

Discus and support is it safe to run win 10 with encryption disabled in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I purchased a WD 2 TB HD A moderator on this MS sight suggested I use a third-party utility to perform the backup (AOMEI) IT WAS DOING THE BACKUP BUT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HarveyKornblau, Oct 18, 2019.

1. is it safe to run win 10 with encryption disabled

I purchased a WD 2 TB HD

A moderator on this MS sight suggested I use a third-party utility to perform the backup (AOMEI)

IT WAS DOING THE BACKUP BUT IT WAS BACKING UP THE ENTIRE DRIVE NOT JUST THE partitions in use. and when I did the follow-up incremental backups after a few times the external drive would not have enough space. so AOMEI suggested I turn of the encryption.

when I did this it all worked fine.

Question is it safe to run win 10 with encryption turned off. turning it on and off takes a long time.

I am backing up HD to an image file.

:)

HarveyKornblau, Oct 18, 2019

2. Enable or Disable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Local Group Policy Editor

How to Enable or Disable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted access. EFS enables transparent encryption and decryption of files for your user account by using advanced, standard cryptographic algorithms. Any individual or app that doesn't possess the appropriate file encryption key cannot open any encrypted files and folders. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your individual files and folders secure.

Encrypting File System (EFS) is only available in the following editions of Windows:
    • Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise
    • Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise
    • Windows 8 Pro and Enterpise
    • Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable to automatically encrypt files that are moved to an EFS encrypted folder for all users in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable automatically encrypt files that are moved to an EFS encrypted folder.

*note This setting applies only to files moved (not copied) within the same volume/partition the encrypted folder is on. When files are moved to other volumes, or if you create a new file in an encrypted folder, File Explorer encrypts those files automatically.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Move file to EFS encrypted folder

is it safe to run win 10 with encryption disabled [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Enable or Disable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 7/8/10 Pro, Windows 7/8/10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System

3. In the right pane of System in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Do not automatically encrypt files moved to encrypted folders policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Enable or Disable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoEncryptOnMove DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_automatically_encrypt_files_moved_to_EFS_encrypted_folders.reg

3. To Disable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_automatically_encrypt_files_moved_to_EFS_encrypted_folders.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the explorer process to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Encryption

Hello Miriam,

For us to be able to isolate your concern why your devices page says it is not encrypted when you've turn on encryption, kindly answer these questions:

• Does this happen before you encrypt the device?
    • Which Windows version currently running on your device?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We will be waiting for update.

Gerald Mal, Oct 18, 2019
  4. is it safe to run win 10 with encryption disabled

Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

is it safe to run win 10 with encryption disabled

1. is it safe to run win 10 with encryption disabled - Similar Threads - safe run encryption

2. Bitlocker encryption disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption disabled: I kept getting The bitlocker recovery key screen upon starting my computer requiring me to enter the recovery key each time to get my machine to boot-up. A person I know disabled the encryption with the manage.bde commands. I no longer get the bitlocker recovery key screen on...
  3. Bitlocker encryption disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption disabled: I kept getting The bitlocker recovery key screen upon starting my computer requiring me to enter the recovery key each time to get my machine to boot-up. A person I know disabled the encryption with the manage.bde commands. I no longer get the bitlocker recovery key screen on...
  4. Bitlocker encryption disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11: I recently built a new system with a hardware combo for WIN 11, and moved my old hard disks over to the new system. During the change, I could not boot to my old boot drive due to it being NTFS. I used a new SSD and was able to get it formatted and installed windows there,...
  6. Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11

Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11: I recently built a new system with a hardware combo for WIN 11, and moved my old hard disks over to the new system. During the change, I could not boot to my old boot drive due to it being NTFS. I used a new SSD and was able to get it formatted and installed windows there,...
  7. Disabling Bitlocker Encryption

Disabling Bitlocker Encryption: Hi there I'm Using a Dell Inspiron 3501. I have a problem in my windows 11 PC. That is one of my drives which has important files in it is suddenly encrypted with Bitlocker. Actually I did not set any passwords to my drives but I dont know how it came to my drives. So i tried...
  8. Encrypt Contents Disabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypt Contents Disabled: Edition Windows 10 Home Single Language Version 21H1 Installed on ‎02-‎04-‎2021 OS build 19043.1083 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0Hi,I'm using above mentioned windows but the Encrypt Contents Option is "GREYED OUT"...
  9. Disable win10 encryption

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disable win10 encryption: I have a dell Inspiron that went into support assist mode. Message from this assist mode says OS_boot_failure and recommends re install/ restore. When I tried to enable restore, error message says unable to restore because OS is encrypted. How can I disable win10 encryption?...
  10. encrypt win 10

encrypt win 10: Hello I have heard so much about privacy or the lack of it, like Windows being able to see my private folders in the EULA. Is there a third party encryption program I can protect my machine with? I say 3rd party for the obvious as I do not want a backdoor peeking. TY 22891