Windows 10: Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10 How to Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10 You can set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Wynona, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Wynona Win User

Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10

How to: Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10

How to Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10

You can set Windows to open an item when you single-click/tap or double-click/tap on it.

The single-click option allows you to open items (ex: files and folders) with a single tap or left click, and to select items by hovering the pointer over the item. Single-click will also allow you to select to "underline icon titles consistent with my browser" or "underline icon titles only when I point at them".

The double-click option allows you to open items (ex: files and folders) with a double tap or left click, and to select items with a single tap or left click on the item.

This tutorial will show you how to open items with a single-click or double-click in your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set to Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in File Explorer Options
    • Option Two: Set to Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click using a BAT file

OPTION ONE [/i] Set to Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer Options.

2. Do step 3 (single-click) or step 4 (double-click) below for what you would like to do.

3. Set to Open Items with Single-Click
    A) In the General tab, select (dot) Single-click to open an item (point to select). (see screenshot below)

B) Select (dot) Underline icon titles consistent with my browser or Underline icon titles only when I point at them for what you want.

C) Click/tap on OK.

Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. Set to Open Items with Double-Click
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) In the General tab, select (dot) Double-click to open an item (single-click to select), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Set to Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click using a BAT file
    *note The downloadable .bat files below will modify the DWORD and BINARY values in the registry key below.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

IconUnderline (DWORD)

ShellState (BINARY)

1. Do step 2 (single-click, underline-browser), step 3 (single-click, underline-point), or step 4 (double-click) below for what you would like to do.

2. Open Items with Single-Click, and Underline Icon Titles Consistent with Browser
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 5 below.

Single-Click-tOpen Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10 o_Open_Items-Underline_consistent_with_browser.bat

Download

3. Open Items with Single-Click, and Underline Icon Titles when Pointed at
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 5 below.

Single-Click-tOpen Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10 o_Open_Items-Underline_when_point_at.bat

Download

4. Open Items with Double-Click
    *note This is the default setting.

Double-Click-tOpen Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10 o_Open_Items.bat

Download

5. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

6. Unblock the .bat file, and run the .bat file.

7. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Wynona, Feb 9, 2016
  2. mlg63 Win User

Mouse double clicking

That is old school now. Hover to highlight and select, single click to open works for most of us. But if you really need double click--

Open File Explorer, Change Folder & Search Options, General Tab. More specific instructions--

Open Item by Single Click or Double Clicks on Windows 10

mlg63, Feb 9, 2016
  3. single mouse click

Open File Explorer

Click the View tab

Click Options

In the General settings, under Click items as follows, choose Single-click to open an item (point to select) or Double-click to open an item (single-click to select), and then tap OK.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 9, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

LOL, I find myself always doing the same. *Smile

Brink, Feb 9, 2016
  5. rboppy Win User
    Asked the following in general-support, @philc43 suggested I ask it here:

I have 2 computers running Windows 10, my main computer is Version 1709 Build 16299.64, the one in my shop is Version 1703 Build 15063.726, the view option on both computers is:

On the shop computer when I point at a file it highlights the file and lets me mouse over to one of the commands, Delete, Rename, etc. On the main computer when I point at a file in underlines it and when I mouse up to the commands the underline goes away.

Did the new version of Windows 10 change the way it handles this?

rboppy, Dec 6, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello rboppy, *Smile

I see the same thing in build 17046 using those settings.

Brink, Dec 6, 2017
  7. rboppy Win User
    Thanks for the reply Brink,

Is the any way to get it back the way it was?

rboppy, Dec 6, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I haven't noticed a way yet.

Brink, Dec 6, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Well, selecting Underline icon titles consistent with my browser is now working again for me.

Brink, Dec 6, 2017
  10. rboppy Win User
    There seems to be some miscommunication here. This is my shop computer:

From here I can mouse up to the commands.

This is my main computer:

When I attempt to mouse up the selection goes away, the only way I can run a command is using the keyboard or right-clicking the item.

Choosing the option to 'underline icon consistent with my browser' leaves right-click as the only way to run a command.

Right-click is ok but it leaves most of the commands on the Home tab useless.

rboppy, Dec 6, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ok, I understand now. The item is not being selected (highlighted) anymore on your main computer. I thought it was only not staying underlined.

If you haven't already, see if restarting the explorer process using an option below may sort this for you if it's just a glitch.

*Arrow Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Brink, Dec 6, 2017
  12. rboppy Win User
    Easy fix! Thanks again Brink.

rboppy, Dec 6, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Items Single

2. Set some items to single click, others to double click?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set some items to single click, others to double click?: Can I set desktop icons to single click but still have files and folders set to double click? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-some-items-to-single-click-others-to-double/844edbce-0e80-449d-9685-890dd766bef8
  3. Set some items to single click, others to double click?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set some items to single click, others to double click?: Can I set desktop icons to single click but still have files and folders set to double click? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-some-items-to-single-click-others-to-double/844edbce-0e80-449d-9685-890dd766bef8
  4. mouse double click on single click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mouse double click on single click: I have encountered an issue which seems to affect both windows 10 21H1 and windows 11 21H1. earlier in the week I did a factory restore, which took my system back to windows 10 1803. as of yesterday i was running windows 10 21h1. after the latest series of updates, my mouse...
  5. mouse double click on single click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mouse double click on single click: I have encountered an issue which seems to affect both windows 10 21H1 and windows 11 21H1. earlier in the week I did a factory restore, which took my system back to windows 10 1803. as of yesterday i was running windows 10 21h1. after the latest series of updates, my mouse...
  6. Single/double-click to open file in Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Single/double-click to open file in Explorer: Recently my Windows 10 Home has changed from double-click to open files to single-click and underlining files as hyperlinks, even though it is set to double-click in folder options. I have restored the default settings as shown below but this has made no difference. Using the...
  7. Single click suddenly becoming double click

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Single click suddenly becoming double click: I have tried various mouse and uninstall all mouse drivers and various other fixes but the problem still exists. It only started few days ago when I applied some updates. This was a known issue affecting many people a few years ago but was fixed but it appears to have come...
  8. Windows 10 how to convert single click to double click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 how to convert single click to double click: How do I convert left button single click to double click on my mouse? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-how-to-convert-single-click-to-double/930329ef-ec2a-4f30-8725-e9b8d6db617a
  9. Mouse double clicking on single click on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse double clicking on single click on Windows 10: Mouse double clicking on single click on windows 10, pretty sure its software issue as: 1) it does not happen on another windows 8 laptop 2) I have managed to solve it temporarily (1 day) after uninstalling all drivers through device manager and restarting my laptop. Also...
  10. Mouse randomly double-clicking on single click

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse randomly double-clicking on single click: Hi there. I have a generic logitech mouse and since I moved to Windows 10, it's been behaving really weirdly. I am not sure if its the issue with the mouse or is it due to something on Windows 10. When I click on an icon on the desktop with a single click, it sometimes...