Windows 10: Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10

Discus and support Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10

How to: Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10

How to Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10

Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list.

Jump Lists
    is a feature that lists app specific tasks or items you can quickly open or get to for every day usage. Jump lists can include recently opened items, frequently opened items, tasks, or websites, in addition to pinned items. You'll always see the same items in the jump list for an app, regardless of whether you view the jump list on the Start menu, taskbar, or File Explorer.

On the taskbar, jump lists appear for programs that you've pinned to the taskbar and programs that are currently running.

On the Start menu, jump lists appear for programs that support having a jump list.

In Windows 7 and Windows 8, you are able to drag and drop pinned items on jump lists to rearrange them in any order you wanted. Unfortunately in Windows 10, you are no longer able to simply drag and drop pinned items on jump lists to rearrange them.

This tutorial will show you how to rearrange pinned items on jump lists to any order for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Rearrange Pinned Items on Jump List of any App
    • Option Two: To Rearrange Pinned Items on Jump List of File Explorer from Quick Access

EXAMPLE: Pinned items on Jump Lists

OPTION ONE [/i] To Rearrange Pinned Items on Jump List of any App
    1. Open the jump list you want to rearrange the pinned items for.

2. Unpin all items on the jump list. (see screenshot below)

3. Pin the items you want back to the jump list in the order you want them to appear in. (see screenshot below)

Note The most recently pinned item will appear at the bottom of the jump list, so be sure to keep that in mind when re-pinning items to the jump list.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Rearrange Pinned Items on Jump List of File Explorer from Quick Access
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Expand open Quick access in the navigation pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Drag and drop the pinned items under Quick access in the navigation pane to rearrange them in any order you want. (see screenshot below)

Note The pinned items in quick access are the same pinned items on the jump list of File Explorer.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 29, 2017
  2. cereberus Win User

How Can I Alphabetize List Of Items Pinned To "Quick Access"?

You just drag them up and down to new position.

*Arrow Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

cereberus, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
  4. Edwin Win User

Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

@Brink:
    Another couple of tricks I've found:

If you create a 'Super Hidden' folder and pin it to Quick Access, then re-hide 'Protected System Files and Folders', it will no longer show in the Navigation Pane but, it will still show in File Explorer Taskbar Jump Lists, and be navigable.

Also, there are certain folders you can pin to Quick Access, such as 'search-ms:', when there, but they too will not show in the Navigation Pane but will also show in Taskbar Jump Lists!

Thought this info may be useful! *Wink

Edwin, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists

Thank you for the tip. I cleared those two folders (AutomaticDestinations and CustomDestinations) and restarted, as you suggested. This did clear all of my jump lists, as expected. However, upon opening 15-20 documents, I see that I can still only get 12 items in the Jump Lists (both on the taskbar and Start menu).

I am connected to a domain, but I don't think that's the issue, or it would have overwritten the JumpListItems_Maximum value based on some Group Policy. No, it's just ignoring it. There must be another value somewhere that's overriding it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions. This is really killing my productivity.

GranitStatColin, Oct 26, 2019
  6. MJS1A Win User
    Jump Lists not working in Windows 10

Bond,

I found out how to reset items in the jump lists. This will remove all pinned items. Also, through my own observation, I found that you can have 12 things total, pinned and recent, show up in jump lists. This is the jump list that's associated with the pinned
    icon on the taskbar, i.e. word, etc.

Strangely enough, I have 11 documents pinned to the word jump list, and nothing shows up in recent, but I once had 12 pinned. Obviously I can't pin another document because nothing will now show up in recent. However, if I pin less then 11 then the remainder
    will show up in recent. For example, 10 pinned and 1 recent, 9 pinned and 2 recent etc.

Also, there is nothing that I can find that will increase the total items pinned, or recent, or both.

Anyway, the text below shows how to completely remove all pinned and recent and start from a blank jump list (I just deleted everything in the folder and then opened word and chose "file" and then "open" and looked in "recent" and pinned whatever I couldn't
    get onto the jump list on the word icon on the taskbar.

I found it at this link:

(Solved) - Windows Taskbar jump lists don't show "recently used" « How-To Geek Forums

1. Open Windows Explorer .

2. Type or copy and paste the following into the address bar:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

3. Identify files that are comparatively larger in size than the rest of the file, such as files that have file size of 1 MB or more.

Delete the abnormal file. Tip: If you do not want to retain the Jump Lists’ recent items history on all applications, just delete all the automaticDestinations-ms files in the folder.

4. The recent items functionality on Jump Lists will be restored. The recent items on the Jump Lists will be re-added as the program is been used. However, do note that the solution does not restore the previously pinned items. So user will have
    to pin new items again.

Hope that this helps. See what happens if you follow the steps above to reset the jump lists.

MJS1A, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Rearrange Pinned Items

2. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  3. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  4. Jump List Populates Old Items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  5. Jump List Populates Old Items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  6. Jump List Items not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump List Items not Opening: Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get...
  7. Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists: As title says I'm wanting to know if there's a way to increase the amount of items can be stuffed into a taskbar jumplist. My reason is, I've used the jumplist feature in Windows 7 for Steam to give quicker access to some of the options you can only access by...
  8. Pinned stuff on jump lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned stuff on jump lists: I quite like the jump lists. I use them on IE11, Mozilla and file explorer quite a bit. Each of these are pinned to my task bar. If I right click say IE11 I can see the jump list for frequent tasks such as private browsing, frequent sites and then I have pinned some sites....
  9. Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's...
  10. Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list. Jump Lists is a feature...