Windows 10: Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows How to Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by GregH, Sep 2, 2015.

1. GregH Win User

Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows

When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list.

Jump Lists is a feature that lists app specific tasks or items you can quickly open or get to for every day usage. Jump lists can include recently opened items, frequently opened items, tasks, or websites, in addition to pinned items. You'll always see the same items in the jump list for an app, regardless of whether you view the jump list on the Start menu, taskbar, or File Explorer.

If you like, you can disable displaying and tracking items over the network from remote locations in Jump Lists.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable showing remote locations in Jump Lists for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable remote locations in Jump Lists.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Enable and Disable remote locations in Jump Lists on taskbar, Start menu, and File Explorer

Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Do not display or track items in Jump Lists from remote locations policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

NoRemoteDestinations DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_remote_locations_in_Jump_Lists.reg

Download

3. To Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_remote_locations_in_Jump_Lists.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

GregH, Sep 2, 2015
  2. Lukasz696 Win User

Jump Lists don't show unc paths in Windows 2019 LTSC

Hello Everyone,

I have a very weird issue with Jump Lists on my Master image of Windows 2019 LTSC. I have "Show Recent Items in Jump Lists from remote locations" enabled and it works great with the exception of one thing. If I browse to any UNC path like \\servername\Folder\etc and open a document there it doesn't get added to the jumplist. It does show in File Explorer under Quick access though. If I do the same but through the mapped drive or anything on local drive then it adds it to the jump list.

It is very much needed for us because we are redirecting User Libraries like Documents, Desktop, Music etc to the share and if anyone opens a document from any of those locations then it does not show up.

Any advice would be very appreciated

Lukasz696, Oct 27, 2019
  3. blueworld Win User
    File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups

Thanks for your reply.

Whatever "it" is exactly, all I know is, it does not behave consistently. This is so across multiple systems. Also, it isn't just recent items, but pinned items that fail to produce the popup on mouse over (when they should).

If the File Explorer setting you're referring to is "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items," I already have that turned on.

Based on my tests, I tend to think this is a bug. Did you try reproducing it?

1. Right click File Explorer in taskbar to open the jump list.
    2. Mouse over any of the pinned or recent folders and see if the popup with the location path appears (as shown in the screenshot with the original post).
    3. If it does appear, close out of the jump list by left clicking anywhere outside of it.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you find the popups not appearing. In my experience, it always occurs, even if not right away. And all too often when I need them most.

blueworld, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Jomel Ber Win User

cannot turn off jump list

Hi Rohit,

To address this concern, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to turn off the Jump Lists on Windows 10:

• Go to Start menu, search Settings, then press
      Enter.
    • Click Personalization.
    • Select Start.
    • Turn off the Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or taskbar.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jomel Ber, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Riel Alc Win User
    Microsoft Office Taskbar Jump Lists

Hi Ken,

For us to better assist you with the taskbar Jump Lists issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made to the computer prior to this issue (e.g. Windows updates)?
    • Does the issue also occur on other pinned apps/files?

In the meantime, we suggest to turn off/on Jump Lists in Settings. To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + i to open Settings, then select
      Personalization.
    • In the left pane, click Start.
    • Turn Off then turn On Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on the Start or the taskbar.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Telos Win User
    Disable Jump List per program?

Is it possible to disable start menu jump lists per program?

For example, I prefer to see a jump list of recent Excel files for ease of access to actively used spreadsheets. However, I prefer not to see jump lists of recent 7z files or media I've opened in PotPlayer.

All I've found is an "all or none" approach to jump list activity. Thanks.

Telos, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Showing

2. Jump lists?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Jump lists?: Win 10 Pro 22H2, fully up-to-date.Not sure this is a Jump List issue or something else...In the past, when I clicked Start>Run I could click the v at right end of the Open: box to pop up and select from a list of recently run apps, eg, msinfo32, regedit, services.msc, etc....
  3. JUMP Lists

in Windows 10 Customization
    JUMP Lists: Do JUMP Lists still work in the Windows 10 taskbar? For Windows 10 Home, Version 20H2, OS build 19042.1165. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-lists/30e338af-26cf-434d-9f56-d39d975ba257
  4. "Open File location" from Jump List Property

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Open File location" from Jump List Property: In Windows 7, I used to be able to right click on a jumplist item and then select "Open File Location".In windows 10 that extremely useful feature has disappeared. How can I get it back?...
  5. Disable Jump List per program?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Jump List per program?: Is it possible to disable start menu jump lists per program? For example, I prefer to see a jump list of recent Excel files for ease of access to actively used spreadsheets. However, I prefer not to see jump lists of recent 7z files or media I've opened in PotPlayer. All...
  6. Jump list

Jump list: If you don't want jump list on the web browser in the taskbar 1.Settings 2.personalisation 3.start 4.Show recently opened items in jump list on start or the taskbar, click off. However this works only once, when you reboot and use your web browser, the jump list ends up...
  7. Cant disable the jump list

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant disable the jump list: I think I've turned off everything necessary to disable the taskbar context menu jump list. If I toggle the setting on and off, the items disappear from the context menu, [img] but after that it starts all over again. 118977
  8. jump list

jump list: hello people is there a hack or tweak out there that wil let me change the order of my pinned itmes in the jumplist you used to be able to drag them,,, but no more 92365
  9. Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's...
  10. File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups: Anyone else have this issue? When right-clicking File Explorer in the taskbar, a jump list appears, showing pinned and recent folders or locations. Mousing over these items should cause a small text popup to appear above the item that shows the full system path of the...