Windows 10: Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by jonrichco, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jonrichco Win User

Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10

How to: Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10

How to Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10

Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Jump Lists are lists of app specific tasks or items you can quickly open or get to for every day usage. Jump Lists can include recently opened items, frequently opened items, tasks, or websites, in addition to any items that you've pinned. You'll always see the same items in the Jump List for a program, regardless of whether you view the list on the Start menu, taskbar, or File Explorer.

By default, Windows 10 will display up to a maximum of eleven items in an app's jump list.

This tutorial will show you how to change the maximum number of items that can display in jump lists for your account or all users in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists

Note I tested with a maximum of 30 jump list items, and get a scroll bar to be able to see them all.

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Browse to the key you want to use below in Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    (Current user only)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

OR

(Apply to All users - must be signed in as administrator)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

4. In the right pane of the Advanced key, double click/tap on the JumpListItems_Maximum DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot above)

Note If you don't have the JumpListItems_Maximum DWORD (not there by default), then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Advanced key, click/tap on New and DWORD (32-bit) Value, type JumpListItems_Maximum, and press Enter.

5. Select (dot) Decimal, and type a number (11 or higher) for the maximum items you want in your jump lists, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. Close Registry Editor.

7. sign out and sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

jonrichco, Jun 30, 2016
  2. Gerry C J Cornell, Jun 30, 2016
  3. Gerry C J Cornell, Jun 30, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Jon, *Smile

It may soometimes take a bit for each jump list to populate to show 30 items. You might see if restarting the computer may work better to apply it.

What build of Windows 10 do you have installed?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...mber-find.html

Brink, Jun 30, 2016
  5. jonrichco Win User
    Winver 1511 Build 10586.420
    There are more items in the jumplist, since if you remove one or two from the list, others move up. I have rebooted a couple of times since changing from hexadecimal to decimal and no impact. All lists still limited to 11 items.

If you're talking to your mates in Microsoft, please tell them that it would also be MUCH better if we could move the items in the jumplist (which used to be possible) and to make jumplist size a right click option. You might also let them know that I find it remarkable that they are able to make critical aspects of their programs worse in new versions (like eg, icon spacing on the QAT, and inability to edit macro icons)!*Sad

jonrichco, Jul 1, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 1, 2016
  7. marknhl Win User
    This worked great for me - thank you!

I had previously rolled back from Win10 given this annoyance and a couple other minor items, but it is working great now!!

marknhl, Jul 25, 2016
  8. LUK
    luk Win User

hi Shawn
    Any idea how similar thing can be achieved for rdp sessions?
    JumpListItems_Maximum and Start_JumpListItems do not work ...

Many thanks in advance
    Best Regards
    asz

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello lukasz, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm afraid that I'm not sure for RDP sessions.

Brink, Jul 27, 2016
  10. Brillant, works great, thanks Brink

Hawks in 17, Oct 18, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help Hawks. *Smile

Brink, Oct 18, 2016
  12. bmwrocks Win User
    I had to add the Reg Key and it immediately worked for me. No need to restart Explorer.exe or sign out/in.

Thanks!!!

bmwrocks, Nov 8, 2016
  13. Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10

For whatever reason, some systems require the key to be in the HKLM registry, instead (maybe in addition, I've not tried it w/o both) of the HKCU registry. So just follow all of the same steps outlined by the author, but add the JumpListItems_Maximum key to:
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Again, I haven't tried it without also having this value in the same place in HKCU, so not sure if only this one matters or it requires both, but this instantly fixed it for me. No need to restart or log off or anything. Add the key with a decimal value of 25 (use whatever # you want), right click on the item in the Taskbar and it jumped form 11-12 items to 25.

GranitStatColin, Apr 10, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you for posting your findings Colin. I added that as an option to the tutorial. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Maximum Number

2. Windows 11 - Increase Number of Items in Jump List File Explorer Pinned to Task Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Increase Number of Items in Jump List File Explorer Pinned to Task Bar: I've got Window 11 Pro. I have File Explorer pinned to the Task bar. I've added to the jump list by navigating in File Explorer to the desired folder, clicking the three dots at top - beneath address bar, and selecting Pin to Quick access. This works - until all available...
  3. Jump List Populates Old Items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  4. Jump List Populates Old Items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  5. How to increase the number of Jump List items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to increase the number of Jump List items in Windows 10: Windows 10 by default displays 12 items in the Taskbar Jump Lists. In Windows 7 you could change this number via Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, Now this is no longer possible. Increase number of Jump List items in Windows 10 If you want to change or increase the number of...
  6. Recently opened items not appearing in jump lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Recently opened items not appearing in jump lists: The recently-opened items are not appearing in start menu jump lists despite the correct setting (see sceenshot). Any advice? Thanks. [img] 42013
  7. Jump List Items not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump List Items not Opening: Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get...
  8. Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists: As title says I'm wanting to know if there's a way to increase the amount of items can be stuffed into a taskbar jumplist. My reason is, I've used the jumplist feature in Windows 7 for Steam to give quicker access to some of the options you can only access by...
  9. Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list. Jump Lists is a...
  10. Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list. Jump Lists is a feature...