Windows 10: Save Theme in Windows 10

Discus and support Save Theme in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Save Theme in Windows 10 How to Save a Theme in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Save Theme in Windows 10

How to: Save Theme in Windows 10

How to Save a Theme in Windows 10

Save Theme in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the change a theme as often as you like.

After you have personalized your settings to create a theme, you can save this theme as a .theme file to be preserved and always available to select under My Themes in Personalization to change back to when trying other themes. Themes are saved in the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes folder.

You can also save your theme as a .deskthemepack file for sharing the theme with friends and family. Windows will collect all of your desktop background images, color, sounds, screen saver, and pointers into the .deskthemepack file that can be saved and applied on any computer running Windows 8 or Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to save your theme as a .theme file to preserve or as a .deskthemepack file for sharing in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Save Theme as a .theme file for Your Account in Control Panel
    • Option Two: To Save Custom Theme as a .theme file for Your Account in Settings
    • Option Three: To Save Theme in Control Panel as a .deskthemepack file for Sharing
    • Option Four: To Save Theme in Settings as a .deskthemepack file for Sharing

OPTION ONE [/i] To Save Theme as a .theme file for Your Account in Control Panel
    1. Open the Run dialog (Win+R), enter the command below, and click/tap on OK to open Personalization in the Control Panel.
    *Arrow explorer shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921}
    2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for how you would like to save your theme.

3. Select an Unsaved Theme (custom) under My Themes you want to save, click/tap on the Save theme link, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Right click or press and hold on an Unsaved Theme (custom) under My Themes you want to save, click/tap on Save theme, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Type a name (ex: My Theme) you want for the theme, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

6. The saved theme (ex: My Theme) will now be available to select under My Themes to change to at any time, and saved as a .theme file in the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes folder. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Save Custom Theme as a .theme file for Your Account in Settings

Note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 15002.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. When you are using a custom theme, you can click/tap on the Save theme button to save it. (see screenshot below)

3. Enter a name you want for the custom theme, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

4. Your custom theme will now be a saved theme. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Save Theme in Control Panel as a .deskthemepack file for Sharing
    1. Open the Run dialog (Win+R), enter the command below, and click/tap on OK to open Personalization in the Control Panel.
    *Arrow explorer shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921}
    2. Right click or press and hold on a theme under My Themes you want to save for sharing, and click/tap on Save theme for sharing. (see screenshot below)

3. Browse to where you want to save the .deskthemepack file at, type in a name (ex: My Theme) you want for it, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now copy or save the .deskthemepack file to any user account on any Windows 8 or Windows 10 PC, and double click on the .deskthemepack file to apply the theme for that user.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Save Theme in Settings as a .deskthemepack file for Sharing

Note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 15002.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Select a saved themed (ex: "My Theme") you want to save as a .deskthemepack file, right click or press and hold on this theme, and click/tap on Save theme for sharing. (see screenshot below)

3. Browse to where you want to save the .deskthemepack file at, type in a name (ex: MyTheme) you want for it, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now copy or save the .deskthemepack file to any user account on any Windows 8 or Windows 10 PC, and double click on the .deskthemepack file to apply the theme for that user.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Feb 20, 2016

2. Unprompted "Save a Theme" error in Windows 10

I have just had an error with title "Save a Theme" and message "Windows can't find one of the files in this theme. Do you still want to save the theme?" appear, during normal use of Windows 10. I have never tried to save a theme, and did not have any settings
    windows open at the time. What might have caused this? Is there anything to do if it becomes a recurring error?

chrissstuart, Feb 20, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Version 1703 won't let me save a theme

When trying to save a theme in Windows 10 Version 1703, I click on "Save theme," which opens a small window to "Save your theme." But when I start to type, no letters are entered--nothing happens. If I click to place the cursor in the window, instantly it
    closes as though it were saving, but of course there's nothing to save since the box is still blank. Can anyone help? Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Sherry Something, Feb 20, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Save Theme in Windows 10

I added the tutorial link to first post.

5. Steve C Win User
    I don't see an "Unsaved Theme" or the Save Theme Option?

Steve C, Aug 6, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Unsaved will show up after you make changes(new wallpaper or mouse cursor or system sounds). Then right click it, for the save option.

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Save Theme in Windows 10

1. Save Theme in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Save Theme

2. How do I save a theme with a different wallpaper for my second monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I save a theme with a different wallpaper for my second monitor?: I've entered the settings, set a different wallpaper for my second monitor, and saved it as a theme. When I change to a different theme and change back, the second monitor doesn't update.I checked the theme file and it does reference both images, so I'm not sure why the...
  3. How do I save a theme with a different wallpaper for my second monitor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I save a theme with a different wallpaper for my second monitor?: I've entered the settings, set a different wallpaper for my second monitor, and saved it as a theme. When I change to a different theme and change back, the second monitor doesn't update.I checked the theme file and it does reference both images, so I'm not sure why the...
  4. Cannot get/save new theme

Cannot get/save new theme: I do not see "Change Theme" command in Windows 11. I've tried to add new themes several times. ----- These commands do not work. ------Click Start > Settings > Personalization > Themes. Under "Change theme", click the tile to switch to the theme you'd like to use. Note: You...
  5. Cannot get/save new theme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get/save new theme: I do not see "Change Theme" command in Windows 11. I've tried to add new themes several times. ----- These commands do not work. ------Click Start > Settings > Personalization > Themes. Under "Change theme", click the tile to switch to the theme you'd like to use. Note: You...
  6. Windows 10 Pesonalization issue: Custom Themes can not be SAVEd

Windows 10 Pesonalization issue: Custom Themes can not be SAVEd: I go to pesonalize > make changes to color, background etc. to an existing "custom theme" > hit "Save Theme" button > "Save your theme" and "name your theme" appears with space and text cursor blinking, so far so good, BUT.... when I try to type the name > nothing happens !!!...
  7. Windows 10 Pesonalization issue: Custom Themes can not be SAVEd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pesonalization issue: Custom Themes can not be SAVEd: I go to pesonalize > make changes to color, background etc. to an existing "custom theme" > hit "Save Theme" button > "Save your theme" and "name your theme" appears with space and text cursor blinking, so far so good, BUT.... when I try to type the name > nothing happens !!!...
  8. Windows 10 Pesonalization issue: Custom Themes can not be SAVEd

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. How to save certain image for certain theme?

How to save certain image for certain theme?: Suppose I have created two custom themes: Theme1 and Theme2. And also I have two images: Img1 and Img2. Now I want to set Img1 as a lock screen wallpaper for Theme1 and Img2 for Theme2. How can I do that? Is it real to do so?...
  10. How to save certain image for certain theme?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to save certain image for certain theme?: Suppose I have created two custom themes: Theme1 and Theme2. And also I have two images: Img1 and Img2. Now I want to set Img1 as a lock screen wallpaper for Theme1 and Img2 for Theme2. How can I do that? Is it real to do so?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. save a theme popup