Windows 10: See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10

Discus and support See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 How to See Your Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by oneLess, Sep 27, 2016.

1. oneLess Win User

See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10

How to: See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10

How to See Your Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10

See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you SSID (network name), password key, and security information to be able to connect to a wireless network.

A wireless network security key is the password required to be able to connect your PC to a secured access point (ex: router) on a wireless network.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to find the security key password of your wireless network connection in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Find All Wireless Network Security Key Passwords in PowerShell
    • Option Two: To Find Wireless Network Security Key Password in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: To Find Wireless Network Security Key Password in Wireless Network Properties
    • Option Four: To Find Wireless Network Security Key Password in Wireless Router

OPTION ONE [/i] To Find All Wireless Network Security Key Passwords in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below you want to use into PowerShell, and press Enter.

(outputs inside PowerShell)
    Code:
    (outputs to text file on your desktop)
    Code:
    3. You will now see a list of all your wireless network profiles with their SSID name and password. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Find Wireless Network Security Key Password in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter.
    *Arrow netsh wlan show profiles
    3. You will now see a list of all wireless network profiles on each interface on your PC. Make note of the wireless profile SSID name you want to see the password (security key) of. (see screenshot below)

4. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter.
    *Arrow netsh wlan show profile name="SSID" key=clear

Note Substitute SSID in the command above with the actual wireless network profile SSID name.

For example: netsh wlan show profile name="Brink-Router2" key=clear

5. You will see this wireless network's security key to the right of Key Content under the Security settings section. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Find Wireless Network Security Key Password in Wireless Network Properties
    1. Open the Win+X Quick Link menu, and click/tap on Network Connections.

2. Click/tap on the wireless network connection (ex: Brink-Router2). (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Wireless Properties button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Security tab, and check the Show characters box under Network security key to be able to see it. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Find Wireless Network Security Key Password in Wireless Router

Note Please read the manual for the brand and model of your wireless router for more specific details on how to do the step below since this will vary per router.

1. Log in to your wireless router, open the Wireless Setup page, and look for the password of the wireless network you want. (see screenshot below)

Note If you have not changed the security key in your router's wireless settings, or have reset your router back to default, then some wireless router manufacturers set a default security key or password which may be on the bottom of your router or in the router’s documentation. Look for the following terms:
    • Passphrase
    • Password
    • Network Key
    • Security Key
    • Wireless Key
    • WPA Key
    • WPA2 Key
    • WEP Key

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

oneLess, Sep 27, 2016
  2. rvatsan Win User

Lumia 620 WiFi 'incorrect password'

Hi Guys,

Just fixed the PASSWORD INCORRECT PROBLEM in Lumia phone.

Step 1: Go to router settings (given by your ISP).

Step2: find out wireless network key (should locate with SSID).

Step3: Use the network key as password in your phone (Most of the time, we use generate key automatically option).

Lessons learnt:

1. Internet password is different (ISP user id and pwd),

router password is different and

our wireless security password is different (this is the wireless network key).

2. We should use wireless security key as password for wifi connection in phone

It is working fine, tried changing the password (wireless key) and it works.

rvatsan, Sep 27, 2016
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Wireless Network Security Key

Hi Charlie,

Basically, the network security key (also known as WiFi password) is provided by the router manufacturer.

To immediately assist you with this, we suggest contacting the router manufacturer.

Regards.

Riel Alc, Sep 27, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello C, *Smile

Yes, you sure can using the Out-File command.

Substitute the part in red at the end of the example command below with the full path and .txt file name you want instead.

Code: (netsh wlan show profiles) | Select-String "\See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 :(.+)$" | %{$name=$_.Matches.Groups[1].Value.Trim(); $_} | %{(netsh wlan show profile name="$name" key=clear)} | Select-String "Key Content\W+\See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 :(.+)$" | %{$pass=$_.Matches.Groups[1].Value.Trim(); $_} | %{[PSCustomObject]@{ PROFILE_NAME=$name;PASSWORD=$pass }} | Out-File "C:\Users\\Desktop\WirelessNetworkPasswords.txt"[/quote]

UPDATE: I have added a text file output option to OPTION ONE to help.

Brink, Sep 27, 2016
  5. RickC Win User
    This is really good, but I'm finding that some profiles have the SSID or password (or both) truncated and periods added. For example, an SSID of FreeInternet-2G (i.e. 15 characters) is truncated to FreeInter... (i.e. 9 chacterters and 3 periods) and an 11 character password truncated to 7 characters and 3 periods (i.e. only 10 characters).

This isn't an issue when exporting using netsh wlan export and parsing with AutoHotkey so I'm at a bit of a loss why PowerShell is doing this. Any idea how to prevent the truncation?

RickC, Nov 12, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @RickC, *Smile

This is most likely from the output is in a table format causing them to be truncated like that.

Format-Table

Please test the PowerShell commands below with the first command using "Format-Table -AutoSize" added and the second command using "Format-Table -Wrap" added to it to see if that may help.

Code: (netsh wlan show profiles) | Select-String "\See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 :(.+)$" | %{$name=$_.Matches.Groups[1].Value.Trim(); $_} | %{(netsh wlan show profile name="$name" key=clear)} | Select-String "Key Content\W+\See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 :(.+)$" | %{$pass=$_.Matches.Groups[1].Value.Trim(); $_} | %{[PSCustomObject]@{ PROFILE_NAME=$name;PASSWORD=$pass }} | Format-Table -AutoSize | Out-File "$env:userprofile\Desktop\WirelessNetworkPasswords.txt"[/quote] Code: (netsh wlan show profiles) | Select-String "\See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 :(.+)$" | %{$name=$_.Matches.Groups[1].Value.Trim(); $_} | %{(netsh wlan show profile name="$name" key=clear)} | Select-String "Key Content\W+\See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 :(.+)$" | %{$pass=$_.Matches.Groups[1].Value.Trim(); $_} | %{[PSCustomObject]@{ PROFILE_NAME=$name;PASSWORD=$pass }} | Format-Table -Wrap | Out-File "$env:userprofile\Desktop\WirelessNetworkPasswords.txt"[/quote]
    EDIT:

I just tested the original command currently in the tutorial with a SSID of "-Routerxxxxxx", and it didn't get truncated.

It'll be interesting to hear how the test commands above work for you with the extra formatting parameter added.

Brink, Nov 12, 2016
  7. RickC Win User
    Hi Brink,

The addition of "Format-Table -AutoSize" did the trick. *Smile

I tried "Format-Table -Wrap" but the output looked awful.

Many thanks.

Rick

RickC, Nov 12, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news. I'll add "Format-Table -AutoSize" to the tutorial now to help those with the same issue. *Smile

Brink, Nov 12, 2016
  9. oneLess Win User
    Brink , maybe you take a look on autoit forum

I made a topic about wireless passwords
    based on powershell command (Option One here)
    and as result we have available now
    an autoit script with GUI (post #17)
    I can send you the compiled version but I am sure you can handle that.

at post #11 is another working solution based on command prompt (Option Two here)

topic is here
    [Solved] Help with PowerShell command - AutoIt General Help and Support - AutoIt Forums

you can promote the script compiled or not if you wish

Happy New Year for all community

c

oneLess, Dec 29, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you oneless. I hope you have a Happy New Year as well. *Smile

Brink, Dec 29, 2016
  11. RickC Win User
    I've done the same (well, similar) using an AutoHotkey wrapper. Have a look at Help for Win10 1607's confusing Wi-Fi settings - Page 2 | Windows Secrets Lounge. Since then I've improved it so it's now at v3.

Code: ; Get stored WiFi profiles and passwords v3 ; See Show WiFi password - AutoHotkey Community ; Thanks to 'garry' in the AHK forum for suggestimg 'FileRead' instead of 'FileReadLine' #SingleInstance force ; Force only one instance at a time#SingleInstance force ; Prompt to 'Run as Admin', i.e. show UAC dialog If Not A_IsAdmin { Run *RunAs "%A_ScriptFullPath%" ; Requires v1.0.92.01+ ExitApp } ; ***** Housekeeping ***** SetWorkingDir, %A_ScriptDir% ; Set script to use the folder it's run from FilesDir=%A_ScriptDir%\WifiXMLS ; Set folder for XML files IfNotExist,%FilesDir% ; Check whether folder exists FileCreateDir,%FilesDir% ; ... and create the folder if it doesn't exist FileDelete, %FilesDir%\*.xml ; Make sure there are no existing XML files IfExist Results.txt ; Make sure there is no existing Results.txt file FileDelete, Results.txt FileAppend, Stored WiFi passwords are as follows:`n`n, Results.txt ; Create first line of new Results.txt file ; ***** Export profiles ***** RunWait, %comspec% /c "netsh wlan export profile folder=%FilesDir% key=clear",, hide ; Exports all WiFi profiles ; ***** Loop through/parse generated files ***** FileList = ; Initialize to be blank Loop, %FilesDir%\*.xml ; Loop through the XML files FileList = %FileList%%A_LoopFileName%`n ; Generate a filelist Sort, FileList, ; Sort the filelist alphabetically Loop, %FilesDir%\*.xml ; Loop through each file { string:="" ; Store contents of file in variable xmlfile:=A_LoopFileFullPath ; With each file, with its path FileRead, string, %xmlfile% ; ... read each file into memory Loop, parse, string, `n, `r ; Parse each line using LineFeed (`n) and Carriage Return (`r) { lines:= A_LoopField ` ; Store lines in variable if lines contains <name> ; Check lines for 1st criteria { L%a_index%:=RegExReplace( lines, "<.*?>" ) ssid:= % L%a_index% ; Store search result in variable } if lines contains <authentication> ; Check lines for 2nd criteria { L%a_index%:=RegExReplace( lines, "<.*?>" ) auth:= % L%a_index% ; Store search result in variable } if lines contains <encryption> ; Check lines for 3rd criteria { L%a_index%:=RegExReplace( lines, "<.*?>" ) crypt:= % L%a_index% ; Store search result in variable } if lines contains <keyMaterial> ; Check lines for 4th criteria { L%a_index%:=RegExReplace( lines, "<.*?>" ) password:= % L%a_index% ; Store search result in variable ssid=%ssid% ; Keep just the data between <name> and </name> auth=%auth% ; Keep just the data between <authentication> and </authentication> crypt=%crypt% ; Keep just the data between <encryption> and </encryption> password=%password% ; Keep just the data between <keyMaterial> and </keyMaterial> resultbasic .= "XML profile:"A_Tab . xmlfile . "`nSSID:"A_Tab A_Tab . ssid "`nPassword:"A_Tab . password . "`n---------------------------------------------`n" resultverbose .= "XML profile:"A_Tab . xmlfile . "`nSSID:"A_Tab A_Tab . ssid "`nPassword:"A_Tab . password . "`nAuthentication:"A_Tab . auth . "`nEncryption:"A_Tab . crypt . "`n---------------------------------------------`n" ; Break ; Used for testing } } } ; ***** Display a message box, with custom button names, offering a choice of info ***** SetTimer, ChangeButtonNames, 50 MsgBox, 36, WiFi Profile Info, What info would you like?`n`nBasic, i.e. show just passwords`nVerbose, i.e. show passwords and security`n`nChoose a button... IfMsgBox, YES { FileAppend, %resultbasic%, results.txt ; Write the basic results to the text file FileAppend, `nNote: Only wireless access points with passwords are listed above.`n, Results.txt ; Create last line of new Results.txt file Run, results.txt ; Open the file in whatever app is registered to display text files ExitApp ; Exit the script } else { FileAppend, %resultverbose%, results.txt ; Write the verbose results to the text file FileAppend, `nNote: Only wireless access points with passwords are listed above.`n, Results.txt ; Create last line of new Results.txt file Run, results.txt ; Open the file in whatever app is registered to display text files ExitApp ; Exit the script } return ChangeButtonNames: IfWinNotExist, WiFi Profile Info return ; Keep waiting. SetTimer, ChangeButtonNames, off WinActivate ControlSetText, Button1, &Basic ControlSetText, Button2, &Verbose return Esc::ExitApp ; Used to cancel the MsgBox, if needed[/quote] Hope this helps...

RickC, Dec 29, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @RickC,

I added the code in your post to help you see how to add code using the # icon in the post tool editor. *Smile

Brink, Dec 29, 2016
  13. RickC Win User

I realised that NoScript was hiding the editing tools, hence why I couldn't see how to add
    Code:
     tags. Duh! All sorted now and I've amended my previous post so it shows my latest effort.

Many thanks to you Brink as always.

RickC, Dec 30, 2016
  14. pewe Win User
    Although this is a very useful tutorial, it does not answer my problem.

I used to use a wifi router which I replaced before doing a clean install of Windows 10.

As I have never connected to it since installing Win 10 the profile is not stored on the PC, and I cannot remember the wifi password for it -, nor can I find the card with the 'default' settings so doing a factory reset won't help.

I would like to use it again and wonder if anyone knows any 'magic' way of finding the password from the information stored on it.

15. oneLess Win User
    use hardware reset button on old router to reset it
    and set again the old router with proper values
    if is yours .

c

oneLess, Jan 9, 2017
Thema:

1. See Wireless Network Security Key Password in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Wireless Network Security

2. Windows 10 network security key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 network security key: Cannot connect to wifi via desktop wirelessWhen security key is entered it says “Some information has changed…Wifi works on other devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-network-security-key/7810132b-0022-46a9-babb-4df16e92655c
  3. Windows 10 network security key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 network security key: Cannot connect to wifi via desktop wirelessWhen security key is entered it says “Some information has changed…Wifi works on other devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-network-security-key/7810132b-0022-46a9-babb-4df16e92655c
  4. Windows 10 network security key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot find network wireless security key in windows 10 or windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find network wireless security key in windows 10 or windows 11.: Hi,10I've spent hours trying to find my wireless network security key in my windows 10 and windows 11 desktop pcs. My pcs are connected together in a switch and then to a patch cable to a modem router. All is working fine, but cannot find wireless security key. Please...
  6. Cannot find network wireless security key in windows 10 or windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot find network wireless security key in windows 10 or windows 11.: Hi,10I've spent hours trying to find my wireless network security key in my windows 10 and windows 11 desktop pcs. My pcs are connected together in a switch and then to a patch cable to a modem router. All is working fine, but cannot find wireless security key. Please...
  7. Cannot find network wireless security key in windows 10 or windows 11.

8. wireless network key

wireless network key: where do i find/change my wireless network key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wireless-network-key/241d3636-d2af-4063-b577-771f093ecc6e
  9. Cannot see wireless networks

Cannot see wireless networks: I am unable to connect to the internet. The problem started after I tried to restart my network settings (for unrelated reasons). Once my computer restarted, I was no longer able to see any wireless networks in the toolbar, nor can I see any available networks to connect to...
  10. See List of Wireless Network Profiles in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See List of Wireless Network Profiles in Windows 10: How to: See List of Wireless Network Profiles in Windows 10 How to See List of Wireless Network Profiles in Windows 10 [img] Information When you password key, and security information to be able to connect to a wireless network. This tutorial will show you how to...