Windows 10: Start-up item enable / disable access for users

Discus and support Start-up item enable / disable access for users in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Need help to create a group policy to allow users to enable / disable startup items under taskmanager , currently these options are greyed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by shakkeerc, Sep 30, 2019.

1. shakkeerc Win User

Start-up item enable / disable access for users

Hello,

Need help to create a group policy to allow users to enable / disable startup items under taskmanager , currently these options are greyed.

- All client machines are latest version of win 10

- Domain 2016

:)

shakkeerc, Sep 30, 2019

2. Recent items not showing in quick access or start list

Hi there,

I've only just upgraded to windows 10, so still getting to grips. I have the recent items option enabled in both the quick access panel and jump lists, but they're appearing in neither. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

pennywhistle, Sep 30, 2019
  3. Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10

The Last Access Time stamp displays an updated time each file and folder on a NTFS volume was last accessed.

In the System Managed mode, the NTFS driver can enable or disable the Last Access updates during the boot (in particular, when the system volume is mounted). The Last Access updates are enabled for NTFS volumes when the size of the system volume (which is usually mounted as the C: drive) is 128 GB or less. If the system volume is larger, then the Last Access updates are disabled.

In the User Managed mode (recommended), the status of the Last Access updates isnt modified by the system during the boot. "Last Access" will stay enabled or disabled as you set.

[table][tr][td]Value[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]0[/td] [td]User Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]User Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2 (default)[/td] [td]System Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3[/td] [td]System Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Start-up item enable / disable access for users [​IMG]

See also:
    Having the Last Access Time stamp enabled on an older or slower computer may cause file access to take longer.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the NTFS Last Access Time stamp updates for all users in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the Last Access Time stamp.

*Warning This tutorial is only valid in Windows 10 version 1803 and higher.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates using Command
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Last Access Time stamp

*note The details view is not there by default unless added.

OPTION ONE
    Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates using Command
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell console window.

2. Copy and paste the command below you want to use into the elevated console window, and press Enter.
    (User Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled)
    fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 0

OR

(User Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled)
    fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

OR

(Default - System Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled)
    fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 2

OR

(System Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled)
    fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 3
    3. Close the elevated console window.

4. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO
    Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate DWORD

80000000 (hex) = User Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled
    80000001 (hex) = User Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled
    80000002 (hex) = System Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled
    80000003 (hex) = System Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled

1. Do step 2 (user enabled), step 3 (user disabled), step 4 (system enabled), or step 5 (system disabled) below for what you would like to do.

2. User Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

User_Managed,_Last_Access_Updates_Enabled.reg

3. User Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

User_Managed,_Last_Access_Updates_Disabled.reg

4. System Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled
    *note This is the default setting.

DEFAULT_System_Managed,_Last_Access_Updates_Enabled.reg

5. System Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled

System_Managed,_Last_Access_Updates_Disabled.reg

6. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9. Restart the computer to apply.

10. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Shawn Brink, Sep 30, 2019
  4. Start-up item enable / disable access for users

Error Access Denied while acessing the folders from User> AppData folders on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with access files and folders.

Do let us know the complete error code/ error message of this issue?

As you have tried with providing the permissions to each folder and issue persists after the restart, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to disable the third party anti-virus software if installed any and check.

Step 2: As, as a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account and check if this issue persists.

Steps to enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
       4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article with 3-diffrent issues related to accessing the files and folders and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

Start-up item enable / disable access for users

1. Start-up item enable / disable access for users - Similar Threads - Start item enable

2. Start Up Apps not Enabling.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Up Apps not Enabling.: Hii the start up apps are not enabling , i tried enabling it, it gets enabled but when i close the task manager start up window they get again to disabled.Please anyone help me....
  3. Task manager "there are no start-up items to display"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task manager "there are no start-up items to display": I have this problem, now i've seen other ppl have it and some fixes, but none of them work, some said just restore the folder which was 'deleted' some said recreate the folder, i did all of those folder tricks and more, but nothing has worked for me. now is there a fix that...
  4. Start up apps not enabling.

Start up apps not enabling.: Hii the start up apps are not enabling , i tried enabling it, it gets enabled but when i close the task manager start up window they get again to disabled.[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  5. Bluetooth is Disabled on Start-up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth is Disabled on Start-up: I have searched other posts but none have fixed the problem. My bluetooth adapter is disabled when I first turn on my computer. I have to go to device manager to enable it. This only started happening recently. I updated the driver a couple of days ago and now it won't...
  6. Adding Start Menu items to existing user profiles

Adding Start Menu items to existing user profiles: Here's my current scenario... I have windows 10 1709 deployed to my organization via MDT. As part of the MDT deployment process I have implemented a specific start menu using the Import-StartLayout method in my task sequence. This has worked great and all my shortcuts...
  7. Start-up item not starting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start-up item not starting.: In Program Files folder I have a file called "ClocX.exe". If I double-click on it the clock appears on my Desktop. But in Task Manager > Start-up I cannot get ClocX.exe to apear automatically on start-up whatever I do: drag ClocX.exe (or its Shortcut) on to the Start-up...
  8. Disabling start up applications

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disabling start up applications: My new Windows 10 Pro is now set up and running well. Just one thing I really need to take care of now are the seemingly excessive number of programs that load up, slowing boot time. Things like Acronis (for back ups), Samsung Magician, MSI fast boot software, Ccleaner, Adobe...
  9. Enable Recent Items Jump Lists in Start but not on the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Enable Recent Items Jump Lists in Start but not on the taskbar?: Alright, so in Windows 10 there is the option in Settings under Personalization > Start called "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar". Enabling this turns on Recent Items on programs in the Start menu and on the right-click menu on programs on the...
  10. Add, Delete, Enable, or Disable Startup Items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add, Delete, Enable, or Disable Startup Items in Windows 10: How to: Add, Delete, Enable, or Disable Startup Items in Windows 10 How to Add, Delete, Enable, or Disable Startup Items in Windows 10 Startup items are the apps, shortcuts, folders, drivers, etc... that are set to run or open automatically at startup when a user signs...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gpo to allow users to enable startup items