Windows 10: Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information BitLocker can encrypt the drive Windows is installed on (the removable data drive (such as an external hard drive or USB flash drive).

You can choose how you want to unlock an encrypted data drive: with a password or a smart card. For removable data drives encrypted with BitLocker To Go, you can set the drive to automatically unlock when you sign in to the PC. For fixed data drives, you can also set the drive to automatically unlock when you unlock the PC, if you prefer, as long as the operating system drive is BitLocker-protected.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off auto-unlock for a fixed or removable data drive encrypted by BitLocker in Windows 10.

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn on or off auto-unlock on a fixed data drive.

BitLocker Drive Encryption is only available in Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education editions.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off BitLocker Auto-unlock for Drive in BitLocker Manager
    • Option Two: To Turn On BitLocker Auto-unlock for Drive while Unlocking Drive
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off BitLocker Auto-unlock for Drive in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Turn On or Off BitLocker Auto-unlock for Drive in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off BitLocker Auto-unlock for Drive in BitLocker Manager
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the BitLocker Drive Encryption icon.

2. Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn On Auto-unlock for Drive Encrypted by BitLocker
    A) Expand open the fixed data drive or removable data drive you want to turn on auto-unlock for. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Turn on auto-unlock, and go to step 5 below.

4. To Turn Off Auto-unlock for Drive Encrypted by BitLocker
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Expand open the fixed data drive or removable data drive you want to turn on auto-unlock for. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Turn off auto-unlock, and go to step 5 below.

5. You can now close the BitLocker Drive Encryption control panel if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On BitLocker Auto-unlock for Drive while Unlocking Drive
    1. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Click/tap on to open a locked fixed or removable data drive (ex: "F") you want to turn on auto-unlock for. (see screenshot below)

3. Enter the password to unlock this drive, and click/tap on the More options link. (see screenshot below)

4. Check the Automatically unlock on this PC box, and click tap on Unlock. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off BitLocker Auto-unlock for Drive in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn On Auto-unlock for Fixed or Removable Data Drive Encrypted by BitLocker
    A) Type the command below in the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow manage-bde -autounlock -enable <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter of the encrypted drive you want to turn on auto-unlock.

For example: manage-bde -autounlock -enable D:

4. To Turn Off Auto-unlock for Fixed or Removable Data Drive Encrypted by BitLocker
    A) Type the command below in the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow manage-bde -autounlock -disable <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter of the encrypted drive you want to turn off auto-unlock.

For example: manage-bde -autounlock -disable D:

5. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Turn On or Off BitLocker Auto-unlock for Drive in PowerShell

Note To see more usage options for the Enable-BitLockerAutoUnlock command, see: Enable-BitLockerAutoUnlock | Microsoft Docs

To see more usage options for the Disable-BitLockerAutoUnlock command, see: Disable-BitLockerAutoUnlock | Microsoft Docs

To see more details about the Clear-BitLockerAutoUnlock command, see: Clear-BitLockerAutoUnlock | Microsoft Docs

1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Do step 3 (on), step 4 (off - specific drive), or step 5 (off - all drives) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn On Auto-unlock for Specific Fixed or Removable Data Drive Encrypted by BitLocker
    A) Type the command below in the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Enable-BitLockerAutoUnlock -MountPoint "<drive letter>:"

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter of the encrypted drive you want to turn on auto-unlock.

For example: Enable-BitLockerAutoUnlock -MountPoint "F:"

4. To Turn Off Auto-unlock for Specific Fixed or Removable Data Drive Encrypted by BitLocker
    A) Type the command below in the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Disable-BitLockerAutoUnlock -MountPoint "<drive letter>:"

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter of the encrypted drive you want to turn off auto-unlock.

For example: Disable-BitLockerAutoUnlock -MountPoint "F:"

5. To Turn Off Auto-unlock for All Fixed Data Drives Encrypted by BitLocker
    A) Type the command below in the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and go to step 6 below.

*Arrow Clear-BitLockerAutoUnlock
    6. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 13, 2017
  2. mike1899 Win User

Turning on Bitlocker's auto-unlock on partitioned drive

I have Windows 10 Pro running on a 500GB hard drive which is partitioned into C: for Windows programs and D: where I keep my documents. I want to secure my documents and personal files from unauthorized access.

Anyone with a Linux bootable USB stick can boot a computer from the USB stick and then access all files on the hard drive. To prevent this I have used Bitlocker to encrypt my D: drive. The drive now cannot be accessed if laptop is booted externally.

I now want to turn on "auto-unlock", so that when I boot into Windows through the laptops' Window OS the D: drive is automatically unlocked. When I select "turn on auto-unlock" on the Bitlocker Drive Encryption screen I get the error message "The operating
    system drive is not protected by Bitlocker Drive Encryption."

Why will it not allow me auto unlock the drive?

Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 6fa64bb4-2463-4748-b5f0-772a379a25df.png

mike1899, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Pro Bitlocker will not auto unlock on boot

I have recently upgraded two identical PCs from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (

Version 1511 Build 10586.36). One of the PCs is having trouble with the Bitlocker Auto Unlock feature.

PCs are both Intel NUC5i7RYH. Each has a Samsung internal SSD and two Western Digital External hard drives. I have enabled bitlocker on all three drives. The external drives on one of the PCs will not auto unlock on boot.

The details on the problem PC:

I have enabled bitlocker on two external hard drives with auto unlock enabled. However, after every boot from a power off state the external drive is still locked. If I log out and then in again the drive is auto unlocked as expected. But, if I power down
    the PC and restart then the drive is not auto unlocked and requires a password be entered.

I know of three ways to enable auto unlock and have tried them all.

1. I have entered the drive password by double-clicking the locked drive. The drive asks for the password and then in the advanced area I have checked the box to auto unlock.

2. I have right clicked the drive in Windows Explorer and chosen Manage Bitlocker. I have Turned off Auto Unlock and then Turned it back on. This doesn't fix the issue.

3. I have run the command line tools from Power Shell as an administrator: Enable-BitLockerAutoUnlock -MountPoint "E:". The command reports that the drive is auto unlocked. However, it is not.

Anyone run across this one before? Any ideas as to what else to try? I reported this issue through the Microsoft Answer Tech and was told that they couldn't fix it. If it can't be fixed is there a way to add it to a list for future consideration of bug
    fixes through the Windows Update process?

Steve103297, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. JacquesBl Win User
    BitLocker: turn on auto-unlock without encrypting OS Drive (SSD)

I have the following configuration:

C (OS Drive) - SSD (128Gb)

D (Data Drive) - Normal Disk (1Tb)

D is encrypted using BitLocker but C is not encrypted.

I want to turn on auto-unlock on D, but get the following message: "The operating system drive is not protected by BitLocker Drive Encryption." - is there a way around this? I would ideally not want to encrypt my SSD.

I've moved my page file to D, but since the drive must be manually unlocked I get page file errors.

Thanks!

JacquesBl, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 automatically locks the unlocked BitLocker encrypted USB drive

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my issue. First of all, there is no "turn off auto bit lock", but there is "turn off auto-unlock" or "turn on auto-unlock", and my settings show "auto-unlock" is turned off. Secondly, I don't want my
    USB drive to "auto-unlock", but I do want it to stay "unlocked" after I manually unlock it. However, the problem I am having now is that when I unlock the USB drive and open a file, then after being idle for a while, Windows will automatically lock the drive,
    so I cannot save the changes I have made to the file until I unlock the drive again.

Penguin360, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Auto

2. Auto Unlock BitLocked drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto Unlock BitLocked drives: Hi.I am just seeking some advice for the following desired implementation for encrypting drives and doing backups.I have a set of 5 USB external drives, which I have encrypted using BitLocker on a Windows 10 PC.All these drives have the same drive label, which is required for...
  3. Auto Unlock BitLocked drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto Unlock BitLocked drives: Hi.I am just seeking some advice for the following desired implementation for encrypting drives and doing backups.I have a set of 5 USB external drives, which I have encrypted using BitLocker on a Windows 10 PC.All these drives have the same drive label, which is required for...
  4. Auto Unlock BitLocked drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Bitlocker not auto unlocking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker not auto unlocking: So, we have many systems about 15 of them in which we have a removable device USB that is encrypted by Bitlocker. We have set the system up so that the drive auto unlocks. However, if the OS is rebooted the drive will not auto unlock. I have even tried running the power shell...
  6. Bitlocker not auto unlocking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker not auto unlocking: So, we have many systems about 15 of them in which we have a removable device USB that is encrypted by Bitlocker. We have set the system up so that the drive auto unlocks. However, if the OS is rebooted the drive will not auto unlock. I have even tried running the power shell...
  7. Bitlocker not auto unlocking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. BitLocker Auto-Unlock

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BitLocker Auto-Unlock: I want to have BitLocker enabled, but I want to turn on auto-unlock so I don’t have to continuously enter my BitLocker password. I’ve seen some systems with this setting in Manage BitLocker, but I do not see it on mine. Does anyone know why I don’t see it? Also is there...
  9. Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock: I have two PCs, one with Windows Pro and one with Windows Home You can only set up and configure Bitlocker on Pro. I have an external SSD which I encrypted with Bitlocker. I selected the Auto Unlock feature when connecting the SSD to my Windows Home PC, and as you can't...
  10. Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can turn BitLocker Auto-unlock for fixed or removable Data Drives, on or off using BitLocker Manager, Command Prompt, and PowerShell. In this post, we will show you how you can enable or disable auto-unlock for a fixed or removable [...] This post Turn...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. iitit Explorer

2. what is bitlocker auto-unlock

3. policy preventing use Automatically unlock this drive on this computer

4. should I bitlocker auto unlock my fixed drive in windos 10