Windows 10: Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Tonyb, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Tonyb Win User

Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10

Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block hackers from accessing the system files they rely on to discover your password, or from accessing your drive by physically removing it from your PC and installing it in a different one. You can still sign in to Windows and use your files as you normally would.

New files are automatically encrypted when you add them to a drive that uses BitLocker. However, if you copy these files to another drive or a different PC, they're automatically decrypted.

BitLocker can encrypt the drive Windows is installed on (the fixed data drives (such as internal hard drives). You can also use BitLocker To Go to help protect all files stored on a removable data drive (such as an external hard drive or USB flash drive).

BitLocker To Go is BitLocker Drive Encryption on removable data drives. This includes the encryption of USB flash drives, SD cards, external hard disk drives, and other drives formatted by using the NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, or exFAT file systems.

You can choose how you want to unlock an encrypted data drive: with a password or a smart card. For removable data drives encrypted with BitLocker To Go, you can set the drive to automatically unlock when you sign in to the PC.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off BitLocker To Go to encrypt or decrypt a removable data drive in Windows 10.

Note BitLocker Drive Encryption is only available in Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education editions.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On BitLocker for a Removable Data Drive in BitLocker Manager
    • Option Two: To Turn Off BitLocker for a Removable Data Drive in BitLocker Manager
    • Option Three: To Turn Off BitLocker for a Removable Data Drive in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Turn Off BitLocker for a Removable Data Drive in PowerShell

EXAMPLE: Enter password to unlock data drive encrypted by BitLocker

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On BitLocker for a Removable Data Drive in BitLocker Manager
    1. If you like, set a default encryption method (XTS-AES or AES-CBC) and cipher strength (128 bit or 256 bit) you want used by BitLocker. BitLocker Drive Encryption uses AES-CBC 128 bit by default for removable data drives.

2. Do step 3, step 4, or step 5 below for how you would like to manage BitLocker.

3. Right click or press and hold on the removable data drive (ex: F: ) you want to encrypt, click/tap on Turn on BitLocker, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Select the removable data drive (ex: F: ) you want to encrypt, click/tap on the "Drive Tools" Manage tab, click/tap on the BitLocker button in the ribbon, click/tap on Turn on BitLocker, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the BitLocker Drive Encryption icon.
    A) Expand open the removable data drive (ex: F: ) you want to encrypt under Removable data drives - BitLocker To Go, click/tap on Turn on BitLocker, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Choose how (password or smart card) you want to unlock this drive, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. Select how (Microsoft account, file, and/or print) you want to back up your BitLocker recovery key for this drive, and click/tap on Next when finished. (see screenshot below)

Note Microsoft account = This option is only available when you are signed in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account. It will save the BitLocker recovery key to your OneDrive account online at Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online..

File = This option will save the BitLocker recovery key .TXT file to a location you select.

Print = This option will print the BitLocker recovery key to the selected printer.

8. Select (dot) how much of your drive to encrypt right now, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Note It is recommended to select Encrypt entire drive.

9. Select (dot) which encryption mode to use, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Note If you did step 1 above to set a default encryption method and cipher strength, then you will not have this setting available since BitLocker will use what you set in step 1 instead.

New encryption mode (XTS-AES 128-bit) = Select this mode if this is a fixed drive or if this drive will only be used on devices running at least Windows 10 (version 1511) or later.

Compatible mode (AES-CBC 128-bit) = Select this mode if this is a removable drive that you're going to use on an older version of Windows (ex: Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8/8.1).

10. Click/tap on Start encrypting when ready. (see screenshot below)

11. The removable data drive will now start encrypting. (see screenshot below)

Note This could take a long time to finish depending on the size of the drive and how much data on the drive is being encrypted.

12. When encryption has finished, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn Off BitLocker for a Removable Data Drive in BitLocker Manager
    1. If you have not already, unlock the removable data drive encrypted by BitLocker.

2. Do step 3, step 4, or step 5 below for how you would like to manage BitLocker.

3. Right click or press and hold on the encrypted removable data drive (ex: F: ), click/tap on Manage BitLocker, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Select the encrypted removable data drive (ex: F: ), click/tap on the "Drive Tools" Manage tab, click/tap on the BitLocker button in the ribbon, click/tap on Manage BitLocker, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Open the step 6 below.

6. Expand open the encrypted removable data drive (ex: F: ) under Removable data drives - BitLocker To Go, and click/tap on Turn off BitLocker. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Turn off BitLocker to confirm. (see screenshot below)

8. The removable data drive will now start decrypting. (see screenshot below)

9. When decryption has finished, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn Off BitLocker for a Removable Data Drive in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below in the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow manage-bde -off <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter of the encrypted drive you want to decrypt.

For example: manage-bde -off E:

Tip You can check the status of BitLocker for the drive at anytime.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Turn Off BitLocker for a Removable Data Drive in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated Powershell.

2. Type the command below in the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "<drive letter>:"

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter of the encrypted drive you want to decrypt.

For example: Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "F:"

Tip You can check the status of BitLocker for the drive at anytime.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Tonyb, Jan 19, 2016
  2. SiSig_ Win User
    SiSig_, Jan 19, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 19, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Tony, *Smile

If the 1 TB drive is full of data, then yeah it can take a long time to finish. I'd let it sit until finished if you like.

Brink, Jan 19, 2016
  5. Tonyb Win User
    nope its empty nothing on it is wired how its taking a long time, but it's a notebook style drive a small seagate backup plus drive so could that be why?.

Tonyb, Jan 19, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It shouldn't normally take that long on an empty drive, but if it's a 5400 RPM drive, then it will be slower.

Brink, Jan 19, 2016
  7. Tonyb Win User
    ok i will give it time i will see if i can check the speed on it as well. yes its a 5400 rpm drive wired as i just bought it must been old stock.

Tonyb, Jan 19, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hopefully it'll hurry up and finished for you. It's just that a 5400 RPM will be a bit slower than a 7200 RPM model. *Smile

Brink, Jan 19, 2016
  9. Tonyb Win User
    yea hope so i want to store my banking info and tax info on it that's why encrypting it.

Tonyb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off BitLocker

2. Files and data lost after turning off bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and data lost after turning off bitlocker: I had a flash drive with files pictures and videos on it and I want to keep it protected I wanted to keep them on my pc so I decided to move them I forgot the password to my bitlocker but I had the recovery key which I used to turn off the bitlocker it took almost 9 hours...
  3. Files and data lost after turning off bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and data lost after turning off bitlocker: I had a flash drive with files pictures and videos on it and I want to keep it protected I wanted to keep them on my pc so I decided to move them I forgot the password to my bitlocker but I had the recovery key which I used to turn off the bitlocker it took almost 9 hours...
  4. Files and data lost after turning off bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Turn on bitlocker for data drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn on bitlocker for data drive: Hi I have an issue with enabling bitlocker on the d:\ drive of my laptop System : DELL - Inspiron 15 5593 Windows 10 Pro 16 gb RAM 512gb System SSD 1 Tb Data SSD I have successfully set up bitlocker on the OS drive with Require TPM and Require PIN using gpedit.msc...
  6. Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can turn BitLocker Auto-unlock for fixed or removable Data Drives, on or off using BitLocker Manager, Command Prompt, and PowerShell. In this post, we will show you how you can enable or disable auto-unlock for a fixed or removable [...] This post Turn...
  7. Unlock BitLocker Encrypted Fixed or Removable Data Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Unlock BitLocker Encrypted Fixed or Removable Data Drive in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the OS, Fixed & Removable drives that addresses threats of unauthorized access. In this post, we show you how to use password or recovery key to unlock a drive [...] This post...
  8. Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can...
  9. Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker can encrypt the drive Windows is installed on (the removable data drive (such as an external hard drive...
  10. Turn On or Off BitLocker for Fixed Data Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off BitLocker for Fixed Data Drives in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off BitLocker for Fixed Data Drives in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Fixed Data Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off bit locker unencrypts data

2. win 10 turn off bitlocker on removable

3. windows bitlocker turn off removable drives

4. after disconnecting the bitlocker encrypted device i cant reconnect it,
  5. bitlocker drive encryption for removable drives,
  6. turn off bitlocker seagate backup plus,
  7. turn off bitlocker drive encryption windows 10 removable drives