Windows 10: Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows

Discus and support Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows How to Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with a VHD or VHDX File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by edblocked, Jul 12, 2018.

1. edblocked Win User

Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows

How to: Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows

How to Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with a VHD or VHDX File in Windows

You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block hackers from accessing the system files they rely on to discover your password, or from accessing your drive by physically removing it from your PC and installing it in a different one. You can still sign in to Windows and use your files as you normally would.

New files are automatically encrypted when you add them to a drive that uses BitLocker. However, if you copy these files to another drive or a different PC, they're automatically decrypted.

BitLocker can encrypt the drive Windows is installed on (the removable data drive (such as an external hard drive or USB flash drive).

You can also use BitLocker to encrypted a mounted as a drive. You can copy and move this VHD or VHDX file to any Windows computer as a portable encrypted container file. When you mount the VHD or VHDX file on a computer and try to open the encrypted drive for it, you will be prompted for your BitLocker password before it will open.

You can save files into this BitLocker drive for VHD or VHDX file when unlocked like any other drive, and unmount the drive when you like to secure it.

This tutorial will show you how to create a portable BitLocker encrypted container file using a mounted VHD or VHDX file in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note BitLocker Drive Encryption is only available in the Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education editions.

*note You must be signed in as an VHD or VHDX file and encrypt with BitLocker.

Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows [​IMG]
    Warning When you unlock the BitLocker encrypted mounted VHD/VHDX container file (drive) with your BitLocker password, all users on the computer will be able to access the drive just like any other fixed data drive until you either change permissions for the drive.

If you want to copy or move the VHD or VHDX file to another location or computer, be sure you unmount the drive for it first.

EXAMPLE: VHD or VHDX file mounted as BitLocker encrypted drive

Here's How:

1. If you don't already have one, create and set up a new VHD or VHDX file.

2. Mount the VHD or VHDX file as a drive.

3. In File Explorer (Win+E), right click or press and hold on the drive (ex: "F") for the mounted VHD or VHDX file, and click/tap on Turn on BitLocker. (see screenshot below)

4. Check Use a password to unlock the drive, enter a password you want to use to unlock the drive with, reenter your password to confim, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5. Select how (Microsoft account, USB, file, and/or print) you want to back up your BitLocker recovery key for this drive, and click/tap on Next when finished. (see screenshots below)

Note Microsoft account = This option is only available when you are signed in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account. It will save the BitLocker recovery key to your OneDrive account online at https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey.

USB flash drive = This option will save the BitLocker recovery key to a selected USB flash drive.

File = This option will save the BitLocker recovery key .TXT file to a location you select.

Print = This option will print the BitLocker recovery key to the selected printer.

6. Select (dot) Encrypt entire drive, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. Select (dot) New encryption mode or Compatible mode for what is best for how you will use the mounted VHD or VHDX drive, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note New encryption mode (XTS-AES 128-bit) = Select this mode if this drive will only be used on devices running Windows 10 version 1511 or higher. It will not work on an older version of Windows (ex: Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8/8.1).

Compatible mode (AES-CBC 128-bit) = Select this mode if this drive is going to be used on an older version of Windows (ex: Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8/8.1). It will still work on all versions of Windows 10.

8. Click/tap on Start encrypting when ready. (see screenshot below)

9. When encryption has finished, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

*note This could take a long time to finish depending on the size of the drive and how much data on the drive is being encrypted.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

edblocked, Jul 12, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Create Elevated Task to Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup

Correct. It will prompt for the BitLocker password to unlock it once you are signed in and on your desktop.

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. tfwul Win User

Thanks a lot for this splendid manual.

Wonder what will happen when the VHD is Bitlocker encrypted.
    See tutorial: "How to Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with a VHD or VHDX File in Windows"
    Will it start and but prompt user for the credentials?

Thanks.

tfwul, Oct 27, 2019
  4. DavidY Win User

I've been doing a slightly older version of this for years with Bitlocker-encrypted VHDs.
    As mentioned, it does prompt for a Bitlocker password on startup, but it is possible to miss the prompt.
    If that happens, I right-click the drive in File Explorer and select the option to Unlock Drive.
    I've also found that adding a slight delay to the auto-mount task (one of the options on the screenshot at step 9 above) means that I'm more likely to see the password prompt on my very old laptop.

DavidY, Oct 27, 2019
  5. MarkS.1 Win User
    Bitlocker VHD not mounting

When I try to mount my bitlocker-encrypted VHD file, I get the following error message:

Couldn't Mount File, Make sure the file is in NTFS volume and isn't a compressed folder or volume

When I previously and successfully mounted the vhd, I was prompted for the BitLocker password. But now there is no password prompt and I get the latter error.

How do I get this vhd to mount?

MarkS.1, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Bitlocker VHD Errors

I have a number of VHD's which are encrypted with bitlocker. When I either double click one of the VHD files or right click and select the 'Mount' option I get an error 'Location is not available' 'X:\ is not accessible' 'Access is denied'. Then the tab
    appears which lets me enter the bitlocker password for the VHD and it mounts. Is there a way to prevent the error screen coming up every time prior to entering the password?

Thanks

Steve

blues-riff, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows - Similar Threads - Create BitLocker Encrypted

2. How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]VMDK, VHDX, and VHD are file formats of Virtual drives. They are unique and unlike other files, you can not just double-click on them to open the file. This is a complete guide on how to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10. What are VMDK, VHDX, and VHD files?...
  3. How to convert Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    How to convert Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using PowerShell: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have a VHDX file and you want to make it compatible with some other virtual machine that supports VHD format, then this post shows, how you can convert the Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using Windows PowerShell so [...] This post How to convert Hyper-V...
  4. How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you different ways using which you can natively mount or unmount VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk files in Windows 10. VHD and VHDX files cannot be mounted from removable media that isn’t formatted [...] This post How to Mount or...
  5. How to create and set up new VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create and set up new VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Today, we will see how to create and set up (initialized and formatted) a new VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk file in Windows 10 using Disk Management. But before we begin, we will see what is a VHD and [...] This post How to create and set up new VHD or VHDX...
  6. How to BitLocker encrypt a VHD or VHDX Container file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to BitLocker encrypt a VHD or VHDX Container file in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can use BitLocker to encrypt a VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) file mounted as a drive. In this post, we will show you how to create a portable BitLocker encrypted container file using a mounted VHD or VHDX [...] This post How to BitLocker encrypt a VHD...
  7. Bitlocker VHD not mounting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker VHD not mounting: When I try to mount my bitlocker-encrypted VHD file, I get the following error message: Couldn't Mount File, Make sure the file is in NTFS volume and isn't a compressed folder or volume When I previously and successfully mounted the vhd, I was prompted for the BitLocker...
  8. Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10: How to: Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10 How to Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as...
  9. Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: How to: Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 How to Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as...
  10. Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: How to: Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 How to Mount or Unmount VHD and VHDX File in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as disk...