Windows 10: Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10 Windows 10 includes a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10

Windows 10 includes a built-in feature to let you scroll inactive windows by just hovering over them with the pointer without your currently active window losing focus.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off scroll inactive windows when hovering over them for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2. Click/tap on Mouse on the left side, and turn on (default) or off Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them under Mouse on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

MouseWheelRouting DWORD

0 = off
    2 = on

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_scroll_inactive_windows.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_scroll_inactive_windows.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 15, 2016
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. scroll inactive window

Hi,

To address your concern with Scroll Inactive Window, we suggest that you update the driver of your mouse. Check this link
    for the steps.

Let us know how it goes.

MaRoselle Cag, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10

scroll inactive window

Windows 10 "scroll inactive window" does not work even if turned on in settings.

This function was working before the latest build.

Have turned this function "off" in settings and still no joy.

Inactive windows include Office 2003 programs, Adobe PDF files, Microsoft Edge, Windows Explorer windows, HP printer functions,,,,,,,

MAD

M A Drouin, Oct 26, 2019
  5. GregSheridan, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Rohn007 Win User
    Scroll While Hovering Over Inactive Window

Here are a couple of articles that describe how to set the feature. Maybe the setting was "improved" by MS and you just have to turn it back on.

https://winaero.com/blog/disable-scrolling-inac...

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/243...

...........********************************...........

**************** BS Disclaimer **************

...........********************************...........

Standard boilerplate legalistic bafflegab disclaimer for any links to non-Microsoft websites:

The link(s) to non MS-page(s) appears to be providing accurate, safe information. I suggest you stick with the “manual” instructions. Unless I explicitly suggest it, avoid downloading their “utilities”. Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site
    before you decide to download and install it. Sometimes they include 3rd party programs, "unwanted" programs that are automatically installed during a standard install. So, if offered, do a "custom" install and carefully read each step. One of the steps MAY
    give you an option to install, or NOT, "additional" programs. 99.9% of the time you don't want to let them be installed. For example, when you install Adobe Player you are given the option of installing 2 additional "free trial" programs: Potentially Unwanted
    Programs: MacAfee Security Scan and MacAfee Safe Connect. The option to install is turned on, you have to manually turn it off. Those are PUP's. If you click "OK"/"Next" without paying attention you get the 2 "extra" programs.

As well, watch out for ads on the site. They may advertise products that include PUPs. Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

............**********************************...........

*************** End Disclaimer *****************

............**********************************...........

Rohn007, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Scroll Inactive Windows in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Scroll

2. How to turn off bluetooth on inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off bluetooth on inactivity: Hi, Is there a way to make bluetooth automatically turn off on Windows 11 when it isn't connected to any device for a period of time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-bluetooth-on-inactivity/5b08b37c-46b5-475b-b30e-1d70563426fb
  3. How to turn off bluetooth on inactivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off bluetooth on inactivity: Hi, Is there a way to make bluetooth automatically turn off on Windows 11 when it isn't connected to any device for a period of time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-bluetooth-on-inactivity/5b08b37c-46b5-475b-b30e-1d70563426fb
  4. How to disable Inactive Scrolling in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Inactive Scrolling in Windows 10: Microsoft has introduced one of the most polarizing features in Windows 10, Inactive Scrolling. Before the introduction of this feature, you would have to select a window to activate it, and then only could you scroll through the content. However, with this feature enabled,...
  5. scroll inactive windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    scroll inactive windows: This setting is making windows very difficult to use. Even when off in the settings it stays on and make it difficult to move through my open tabs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scroll-inactive-windows/a82d0105-ce2b-4e3f-acba-deba93a6499a
  6. Bug - Windows scroll inactive windows?

Bug - Windows scroll inactive windows?: TLDR - scrolling inactive windows seems to work at the application level, not the window level, as it should. Bug? Or some other way to get proper behavior? ----- Hi, Been googling around a good bit, but unfortunately, can't seem to find an answer to my issue....
  7. Turn off auto scroll

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn off auto scroll: How do I turn off auto scroll on my HP laptop running windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-auto-scroll/b414d54b-d266-4497-a9f2-e0f4432dfc8b
  8. Inactive windows scrolling on the touchpad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inactive windows scrolling on the touchpad: When my start screen isn’t open or a USB mouse isn’t plugged in, I cannot use the inactive windows scrolling on the touchpad. In the mouse setting I found that inactive windows option is on. I tried to update drivers with no avail. It is HPX360 laptop, a newly bought machine...
  9. Turn off scrolling hints

Turn off scrolling hints: Hello, could you please help to turn off this scroll hints? These images of 'arrows' and 'wheel' which appears when mouse on scroll bars. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-scrolling-hints/13c7f580-21be-42e3-941f-a702bdda472e
  10. Scrolling inactive windows doesn't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Scrolling inactive windows doesn't work: Hello! I have installed the Win 10 enterprise LTSB the trial version. So far, so good, with the exception of two details: - The scrolling of inactive windows isn't working properly. I mean, it works only when the "Settings" window is the active, then I can scroll the...