Windows 10: Turn On or Off Show Most Used Apps at Top of Share in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Show Most Used Apps at Top of Share in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Show Most Used Apps at Top of Share in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show Most Often Used Apps at Top of Share List in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Show Most Used Apps at Top of Share in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Show Most Used Apps at Top of Share in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Show Most Often Used Apps at Top of Share List in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Show Most Used Apps at Top of Share in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 15007 released on January 12th 2017.

Information In Windows 10, you can directly share files using installed UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps such as Mail, Twitter, OneNote, Cortana Reminders, Facebook, etc...

UWP apps that you have turned on to use for sharing files will be listed as an available option in the Share charm.

By default, the apps you use most often to share will show at the top of the app list in the Share charm for quicker usage.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to show apps you use most often at the top of the app list in the Share charm for your account in Windows 10.

Note Starting with Windows 10 build 15002, Microsoft has redesigned the Windows sharing experience to be more app-focused and integrated with where you are sharing from. The new Windows Share experience will pop-up the new share flyout within the app you are sharing from and give you a list of applications you can share to. This list changes based on your usage.

Starting with Windows 10 build 16199, the Share flyout will now include contacts from your People app to share with.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Show Most Often Used Apps at Top of Share Charm List in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Show Most Often Used Apps at Top of Share Charm List using a BAT file

EXAMPLE: Show most used apps listed at top in Share charm turned on and off

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Show Most Often Used Apps at Top of Share Charm List in Settings
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to add the Share Settings page.

2. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

3. Click/tap on Share on the left side, and turn on (default) or off Show apps I use most often at the top of the app list under Sharing options on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Show Most Often Used Apps at Top of Share Charm List using a BAT file

Note The .bat files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Start_TrackShareContractMFU DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Show Most Often Used Apps at Top of Share Charm List
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Show_apps_used_most_often_at_top_of_list.bat

Download

3. To Turn Off Show Most Often Used Apps at Top of Share Charm List
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Show_apps_used_most_often_at_top_of_list.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop,

5. Unblock the .bat file.

6. Run the .bat file.

7. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 10, 2017

2. Network share not working properly using W 10

Hi Rudi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the methods and check if it helps:

Method 1: I suggest you to run home group troubleshooter as below and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search area on the taskbar and select
      Troubleshooting
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Home Group.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Also try the below steps and check if it helps.

• Turn off media sharing via Window Media Player on all the machines that show

up in Network as a Media Sharing Device.
    • Tools -> Options -> Library tab -> Configure Sharing... button
    • Uncheck "Share my media to:”
    • Uncheck "Find media that others are sharing" doesn't seem to do it, maybe

require a reboot.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    I'm still seeing start menu ads dispite turning them off

Hello BreadedChicken, and welcome to Ten Forums. Turn On or Off Show Most Used Apps at Top of Share in Windows 10 :)

The Occasionally show suggestions in Start setting is only for the Suggested apps shown in the All Apps list in the Start menu instead.

*Arrow Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

You can also turn off automatic installation of suggested apps to completely stop them. Be sure to also read the blue note box at the top of the tutorial below for more info.

*Arrow Turn Off Automatic Installation of Suggested Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Arnie Est Win User

How to make shared photo directory visible in PICTURES app in WindowsMoblie 10?

Hello Piotr,

Shared photos from OneDrive can only be viewed by the owner of the photos on the Photos app. The person you shared it with can only view or edit it on OneDrive. We would recommend that you send a suggestion in
    Feedback Hub app to make this feature available on Windows 10 Mobile.

To send a suggestion, you can follow the steps below:

• Go to All apps, search for the Feedback Hub
      app.
    • Open the menu icon at the top left side.
    • Select Feedback, then at the top right side, tap the add button (+).
    • Select Suggestion and fill up the box with the details needed.
    • Select the right category for the suggestion and then submit.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Arnie Est, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Karen Her Win User
    turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 - Notification Settings not showing Apps?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience. I will definitely assist you.

I appreciate the steps that you have done. I suggest you please follow the below steps and check if it helps:

• Type notification on the search bar and click on
      notification & action settings.

• And click on select which icons appear on the taskbar.

• Turn on show app notification separately for each app.
    Hope this information helps, post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Show Most Used Apps at Top of Share in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Show

2. How to enable Show most used apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable Show most used apps?: I want to enable "Show most used apps" for Windows 11 but it seems disabled. How can I enable this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-show-most-used-apps/c2bb9dda-0810-41e6-b828-4e59c4ca8257
  3. Cant turn on "Show most used apps" on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant turn on "Show most used apps" on Windows 11: Hello,It seems that I cant activate "Show most used apps" on windows 11. The option is completely greyd out. Not sure how to go about enabling it. Any help will be appreciated.Thx...
  4. Cant turn on "Show most used apps" on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant turn on "Show most used apps" on Windows 11: Hello,It seems that I cant activate "Show most used apps" on windows 11. The option is completely greyd out. Not sure how to go about enabling it. Any help will be appreciated.Thx...
  5. Unable to turn off/on "Show most used app" option using registry keys in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to turn off/on "Show most used app" option using registry keys in Windows 10: Hi , I am creating a VBscript to turn off/on "Show most used app" option using registry keys. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_TrackProgs, But when i am changing the Start_TrackProgs value to "1" it is disabling the...
  6. Turn On or Off Always on Top mode for Calculator app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Always on Top mode for Calculator app in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Always on Top mode for Calculator app in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Always on Top mode for Calculator app in Windows 10 The Windows Calculator app included in Windows 10 is a simple yet powerful calculator that includes standard, scientific,...
  7. Turn On or Off Show Frequent Top Sites in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Show Frequent Top Sites in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Show Frequent Top Sites in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show Frequent Top Sites in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for...
  8. Turn On or Off App Suggestions in Share flyout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off App Suggestions in Share flyout in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off App Suggestions in Share flyout in Windows 10 [img] Information The Windows sharing experience in Windows 10 allows you to share web pages in Microsoft Edge from installed UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps such as Mail, Twitter, OneNote, Cortana...
  9. Turn On or Off Share Across Devices for Apps in Window 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Share Across Devices for Apps in Window 10: How to: Turn On or Off Share Across Devices for Apps in Window 10 How to Turn On or Off Share Across Devices for Apps in Windows 10 The Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 introduced a new privacy option in Settings to let apps on your other devices open apps and...
  10. Turn On or Off Apps to Share from in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Apps to Share from in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Apps to Share from in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Specific Apps to Share from in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 15007 released on January 12th 2017. [img] Information In...