Windows 10: Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10

Discus and support Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10 How to Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10

How to: Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10

How to Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10

Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Tablet mode makes Windows easier and more intuitive to use with touch on devices like 2-in-1s, or when you don't want to use a keyboard and mouse.

You will see the desktop by default on a typical laptop or desktop.

Tablet mode will be turned on by default on tablets.

On a convertible PC (laptop/tablet hybrid), detaching or attaching the keyboard will prompt you by default to switch in and out of tablet mode.

This tutorial will show you how to select to automatically use tablet mode or desktop mode when you sign in to Windows 10.

Note Tablet mode does not support multiple displays.

To enable tablet mode on a PC with multiple displays, press the Win+P keys to open Project, and click/tap on PC screen only.

To undo this, press the Win+P keys, and click/tap on Extend.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set to Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in in Settings
    • Option Two: Set to Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Set to Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Tablet Mode on the left side, and select Use tablet mode, Use desktop mode, or Use the appropriate mode for my hardware under When I sign in on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Set to Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell

SignInMode DWORD

0 = Use the appropriate mode for my hardware
    1 = Use desktop mode
    2 = Use tablet mode

1. Do step 2 (tablet mode), step 3 (desktop mode), or step 4 (appropriate mode for hardware) below for what you would like to do.

2. Set to "Use tablet mode"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Use_tablet_mode_when_sign_in.reg

Download

3. Set to "Use desktop mode"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Use_desktop_mode_when_sign_in.reg

Download

4. Set to "Use the appropriate mode for my hardware"

Use_appropriate_mode_for_hardware_when_sign_in.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. If prompted, click on Run, OK (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 15, 2017

2. Tablet Mode in Windows 10

Hi,

Tablet mode is a new feature that should automatically activate when you detach a tablet from its base or dock. Also, in tablet mode, the Desktop is unavailable.

To disable the Tablet mode in Windows 10, you may follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button.
    • Launch the Settings app.
    • Tap on System in the left pane of the screen; then, scroll down to the bottom until you see
      Tablet Mode.
    • Verify if the toggle is set to either on or off based on your preference.

We appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Virtual Desktops in Tablet Mode

Hi,

I realize that you want to keep virtual desktop after switching to tablet mode. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Have you installed all pending updates on the pc?

After switching to the tablet mode, click on the “Task View” icon in the Taskbar to check if that helps.

I suggest you to sign out from the current user account, restart the computer and then sign in to the Admin account to check if this helps.

Some problems can be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and select Sign out. Once you’ve signed out, sign back in to your account.

Also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps.
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10

After windows update desktop stuck on tablet mode.

Hi,  

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

In order to assist you better, I would like to know the following queries:

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• Did the issue started after installing any Particular Windows Update? If yes, please provide the KB number of the Windows Update?
    To find the KB number of the Windows update
    please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + I key.

• From the window select Update & Security.

• Click on Windows Update.

• Click on Advanced Options.

• Click View your update history.

I would suggest you to try changing the mode and check if it helps.

Please follow the steps below to change the mode:

• On the bottom right of the task bar click on
      open Notification Center

• From the notification menu, if Tablet mode is highlighted click on the
      Tablet mode.

• This will help it to get back to Desktop mode.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

JuzarAli1709, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Tablet and Desktop Mode

Hello,

I was wonder why you can't have the tablet tile and its side menu setup on the official desktop in Windows 10? The reason I ask is because gone are shortcuts in Desktop Mode. Live tiles are a natural modernization of the old shortcuts we use to be able
    to place on the desktop. Tablet mode has functionality restrictions that aren't present in Desktop, but in Desktop there are no tiles (shortcuts) immediately available like in Tablet mode. Instead one must go into the Start Menu and then select a tile.
    It is cumbersome and doesn't make much sense. And yes, I do have my Start Menu set to full screen mode, but again, you have to take a couple of steps just to access tiles (shortcuts). Seems rather silly to me. Will there ever be a way to have the tablet
    tile "desktop" available in the full Desktop Mode? It seems this would be a very simple thing to do by Microsoft.

Thank you.

Sinister-Veridicus, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Tablet Mode toggle greyed out - NOT connected to a different monitor

Hi,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to sign-out from the current user account, restart the computer, sign-in and check if it helps.

Follow the below to enable Tablet mode on Windows 10:

• Press Windows+ I keys, click on System icon.
    • Click on Tablet Mode on the left side, and select Use tablet mode,
      Use desktop mode, or Use the appropriate mode for my hardware under
      When I sign in on the right side for what you want.
    • When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of accessing Tablet mode for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10

1. Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Tablet Mode Desktop

2. Tablet mode not enabling when flipping the screen into tablet mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tablet mode not enabling when flipping the screen into tablet mode.: I have an LG Gram it is a 2-1 so it usually would have tablet mode enabled whenever I flipped my screen around but this no longer works. It is one Windows 11 OS build 22621.1485, version 22H2. Is this issue related to Windows 11?...
  3. Tablet mode not enabling when flipping the screen into tablet mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tablet mode not enabling when flipping the screen into tablet mode.: I have an LG Gram it is a 2-1 so it usually would have tablet mode enabled whenever I flipped my screen around but this no longer works. It is one Windows 11 OS build 22621.1485, version 22H2. Is this issue related to Windows 11?...
  4. Tablet Mode: "Use the appropriate mode when signing in" not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tablet Mode: "Use the appropriate mode when signing in" not working: Surface Pro 7 here. For some reason this option doesn't work for me when signing in/booting up. The desktop and tablet mode options do work though. Anyone else have encountered this problem and found a fix that doesn't involve reinstalling windows? submitted by...
  5. Start button switches to tablet mode and desktop mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button switches to tablet mode and desktop mode: I have an HP laptop. Windows is up to date. I have recently switched to running in desktop mode but when i left click the start button instead of getting the start menu it switches to tablet mode. How do i fix this? Ive searched everywhere. if i right click it brings up...
  6. what is the difference between tablet mode and desktop mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what is the difference between tablet mode and desktop mode: what is the difference between tablet mode and desktop mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-tablet-mode-and/8c87c268-ef51-40ab-a143-66b0da01d2de
  7. can't use tablet mode

can't use tablet mode: hello I just bought an acer desktop and even if I turn on the tablet mode on I cannot use it (touchscreen feature won't work) is there no touch screen feature in this acer desktop so that I can use tablet mode??...
  8. Getting back to desktop mode from tablet mode.

Getting back to desktop mode from tablet mode.: I have a Lenova 2 in 1 ideapad with Windows 10. When I switched from tablet back to laptop my desktop will not change back to desktop mode with a start up menu and items showing that i had saved to desktop. I figured out how to get taskbar items back....
  9. Are Moden Apps the same in desktop mode as tablet mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are Moden Apps the same in desktop mode as tablet mode?: My apologies if this question seems basic, but I really am confused. I'm trying to understand why I would want to use tablet mode. Apart from the minimize, maximize and "x" buttons found in desktop mode. Aren't the modern tile apps that you can launch straight from the...
  10. Access desktop in Tablet mode?

in Windows 10 Support
    Access desktop in Tablet mode?: I am upgrading from 8 on a PC I used as a media center. The metro start screen was great for using on a TV. In Windows 10 however it seems the only way to have this be the default boot screen is to enable "Tablet Mode". I am fine with this however when in Tablet Mode it seems...