Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question)

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am going to be purchasing Windows 10 Pro for my new upcoming gaming pc and I have a question will I be able to create a local account? I have read a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JMatzelle993, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question)

I am going to be purchasing Windows 10 Pro for my new upcoming gaming pc and I have a question will I be able to create a local account?

I have read a lot of stuff online about Microsoft hiding this feature and I really don't want to sign up for a Microsoft account since I really only use Google and Gmail.

submitted by /u/JMatzelle993
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JMatzelle993, Oct 29, 2019

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts using Local Group Policy Editor

How to Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Starting with local accounts in Windows 10.

Security questions will provide an extra layer of protection for your local account in case you forget your password.

Available security questions for local account:
    • What was your first pet's name?
    • What's the name of the city where you were born?
    • What was your childhood nickname?
    • What's the name of the city where your parents met?
    • What's the first name of your oldest cousin?
    • What's the name of the first school you attended?
    If you already have a reset your password, whereupon clicking youll be prompted to enter the answers to your security questions.

Starting with reset their passwords at sign in.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the use of security questions for local accounts to reset passwords in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable security questions for local accounts.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Security questions for local accounts enabled and disabled in Windows 10

Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question) [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts using Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Credential User Interface

3. In the right pane of Credential User Interface in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Prevent the use of security questions for local accounts policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

NoLocalPasswordResetQuestions DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Use_of_security_questions_for_local_accounts.reg

3. To Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Use_of_security_questions_for_local_accounts.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Zakin Win User

Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question)

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question) :(

Zakin, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question)

1. Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question) - Similar Threads - Pro USB Local

2. Windows and local account question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows and local account question: Hello I'm going to need to switch my harddrive out soon and read that if i used the activation feature and linked my digital license to a Microsoft account I would be able to add windows to my new HD after I change it. The problem I'm having is that when I login my...
  3. windows 10 pro local account.

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 pro local account.: Hi, I am new to desktop and I`m learning as i go, My question is where did I go WRONG? My windows administration account is active. When I visit account settings everything looks and seems ok, but almost any discussion it tells me I need administrative permission to make...
  4. Local Account question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local Account question: Hi, I am in the process of upgrading from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. And once it is upgraded, I want to get a local account, not a MS account. In reading the steps involved in this process, it says that you will come to a window where you are asked to verify your current...
  5. Question about activating Windows 10 License with a local account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about activating Windows 10 License with a local account: I currently have a local account on my newly built PC. I have never previously and do not want to link my Microsoft account to my PC. If I activate Windows 10 now on my local account, what happens to my key? Can I add my Microsoft account later to back up the key to my...
  6. Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro.

Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro.: Hi all! I have a personal laptop (Thinkpad X1 Carbon) that I used to remote into my work computer while at home. I work from home one day a week, and sometimes on weekends, etc. Ironically I actually work on computers for a living, except that I do data analytics and do not...
  7. Windows 10 Pro Local Account

Windows 10 Pro Local Account: I have read that you can't make a local account anymore is this true? Will I not be able to make a local account if I purchase Windows 10 Pro in stores that come with the USB Stick? submitted by /u/JMatzelle993 [link] [comments]...
  8. Local Accounts - Upgrade Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Local Accounts - Upgrade Question: I am building a new tower for my in-laws and nephews. As of now, they want to stay with Windows 7. I'm fine with that, and have a licenses for them. However, I would like to upgrade it to Windows 10 temporarily, to get their license activated. I will roll it back to Windows 7...
  9. Local account installation question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local account installation question: Hey all, just wondering what to look for when I get around to installing 10 after the release as to local account setup. It was tricky with 8/8.1 so want to avoid any problems. Skipping step(s), small worded info on lower part of screen, etc. I did a search here and looks...
  10. Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10: How to: Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, Microsoft added the use of security questions to local accounts in Windows 10. Security questions will provide an extra layer of protection...