Windows 10: Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 How to Mount a Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 You can assign a mount point folder path to a drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

How to: Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

How to Mount a Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

You can assign a mount point folder path to a drive to have the drive appear as a normal folder located where you want.

With you mount an internal or external drive to an empty folder, you will be able to access the contents of the drive from the path of the folder. The contents of the drive will still physically be located on the drive. Anything you save into this folder will actually be saved to the drive.

You can mount a drive with or without a drive letter to an empty folder.

This tutorial will show you how to assign a mount point folder path to a drive to link the folder and drive in Windows 10.

If you mount an external or removable drive to a folder and disconnect the drive, the folder will not open until the drive is connected again.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Mount Drive with Drive Letter to Folder in Disk Management
    • Option Two: Mount Unallocated Drive without Drive Letter to Folder in Disk Management
    • Option Three: Mount Drive with Drive Letter to Folder in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: Unmount Drive from Folder by Permanently Deleting Folder
    • Option Five: Unmount Drive from Folder in Disk Management

OPTION ONE [/i] Mount Drive with Drive Letter to Folder in Disk Management
    1 Create a new empty folder located where you want with a name (ex: "Working Drive") you want. (see screenshot below)

The empty folder must be located on a ReFS drive

Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2 Open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

3 Right click or press and hold on the drive (ex: "F") you want to mount to the folder from step 1, and click/tap on Change Drive Letter and Paths. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Add. (see screenshot below)

5 Perform the following steps: (see screenshots below)
    1) Select (dot) Mount in the following empty NTFS folder.

2) Click/tap on the Browse button.

3) Navigate to and select the empty folder (ex: "Working Drive") from step 1.

4) Click/tap on OK in the "Browse for Drive Path" dialog.

5) Click/tap on OK in the "Add Drive Letter or Path" dialog.

6 You can now close Disk Management if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Mount Unallocated Drive without Drive Letter to Folder in Disk Management
    1 Create a new empty folder located where you want with a name (ex: "Working Drive") you want. (see screenshot below)

2 Open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

3 Right click or press and hold on the unallocated (deleted) drive you want to mount to the folder from step 1, and click/tap on New Simple Volume. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6 Perform the following steps: (see screenshots below)
    1) Select (dot) Mount in the following empty NTFS folder.

2) Click/tap on the Browse button.

3) Navigate to and select the empty folder (ex: "Working Drive") from step 1.

4) Click/tap on OK in the "Browse for Drive Path" dialog.

5) Click/tap on Next in the "New Simple Volume Wizard" dialog.

7 Type a name (volume label) you want for the drive, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

8 Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

9 You can now close Disk Management if you like. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Mount Drive with Drive Letter to Folder in Command Prompt
    You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

2 Open an elevated command prompt.

3 Type diskpart into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot at bottom)

4 Type list volume into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. Make note of the volume number (ex: "4") of the drive (ex: "F") you want to mount to the folder from step 1.

5 Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    select volume ###

Substitute ### in the command above with the actual volume number (ex: "4") of the drive (ex: "F") you want to mount to the folder from step 1.

For example: select volume <4>

6 Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    assign mount="Full path of folder"

Substitute Full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path (ex: "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Working Drive") of the folder from step 1.

For example: assign mount="C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Working Drive"

7 You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Unmount Drive from Folder by Permanently Deleting Folder
    This option will remove the mount point folder path from a drive without affecting the contents of the drive.

1 Permanently delete the folder you mounted the drive to.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Unmount Drive from Folder in Disk Management
    This option will remove the mount point folder path from a drive without affecting the contents of the drive.

The folder will be empty after removing its mount folder path from the drive.

1 Open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

2 Right click or press and hold on the drive (ex: "F") you want to remove a folder path from, and click/tap on Change Drive Letter and Paths. (see screenshot below)

3 Select the folder path you no longer want mounted to the drive, and click/tap on Remove. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5 You can now close Disk Management if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 28, 2018

2. How to mount Drive and Folder in Windows 10.

Hi Thom,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. We recommend you to refer
    Assign a mount point folder path to a drive
    for mounting a drive in Windows 10 and please follow the steps mentioned below to mount folder as virtual drive in Windows 10.

1. Search for cmd in search bar.

2. Right click on Command Prompt in the list and choose
    Run as administrator

3. In the text box behind Browser, type the following command
    subst X: "Location of your folder" (Replace X with the drive letter you would like to name as, and
    "Location of your folder" with the location of the folder you wish to mount as drive with the double codes. For example
    subst G: "D:\<Username>\My videos").

4. Restart the computer and you will see a new drive next to all your other physical drive.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

Drive not mounted

Hi John,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I’m sorry to know that WD passport and
    Seagate Free Agent Goflex Desk drive not mounted in the event window. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and I will be happy to assist you.

Please provide us the following information, to assist you further.

• As you are able to find the drivers in device manager, are you able to find the drivers in Disk management also?
    Please refer the suggestions given by
    Imran Chand in the below link and check if that helps.

External HDD will not mount on one machine

Please let us know, if you need any further help and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, Oct 27, 2019
  5. auto-mount removable drives to NTFS folders

It used to be common to use autorun.inf on removable drives but the proliferation of security threats has rendered this facility useless. So I'd like to have the following Security feature added to currently supported versions of Windows (not just Windows
    10)

1. to auto-mount non-NTFS formatted removable drives to a designated folder

2. no assignment of drive letter(s) & administered from the disk management console.

3. NTFS folder permissions shoult block network access by default on the mount-point.

I know it's possible to disable auto-mounting but it isn't flexible enough to redirect to a pre-designated folder/mount-point.

Is it possible to retro-fit the facility into Windows?

Drive letters should have been eradicated by now as there's no need for a 16-bit subsystem.

technogeist2k10, Oct 27, 2019
  6. John32667 Win User
    Drive not mounted

Hi ,

my WD passport (500gb) and my Seagate FreeAgent Goflex Desk (2TB) do no longer mount on my Surface Pro 3 with window 10. I can see both in device manager, am mentioned the driver are up to date but in th event window I get the message drive not mounted.
    They do not appear on the computer.

any suggestions? thanks

John32667, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

1. Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Mount Drive Folder

2. Moving data folders to NTFS drive mounted on Raspberrypi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving data folders to NTFS drive mounted on Raspberrypi: I have been doing this for a while, but I want to make sure I am doing it the right way.I have a RaspberryPI RPI with a mounted NTFS 1TB drive using SAMBA to share with PC'sOn my Windows 11 pc I move my data folders one by one using the 'location' under properties.Here is...
  3. Moving data folders to NTFS drive mounted on Raspberrypi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving data folders to NTFS drive mounted on Raspberrypi: I have been doing this for a while, but I want to make sure I am doing it the right way.I have a RaspberryPI RPI with a mounted NTFS 1TB drive using SAMBA to share with PC'sOn my Windows 11 pc I move my data folders one by one using the 'location' under properties.Here is...
  4. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10: Hello,I have just followed instructions to mount a hard drive as a folder in Windows 10. I will be using this to store music files.Rather than the internal SSD.What I would like some information on is this. If I have the hard drive connected to my computer and I make a Clone...
  5. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10: Hello,I have just followed instructions to mount a hard drive as a folder in Windows 10. I will be using this to store music files.Rather than the internal SSD.What I would like some information on is this. If I have the hard drive connected to my computer and I make a Clone...
  6. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10: How to: Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 How to Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 In Windows, you can mount any folder at any location as a virtual drive with a drive letter. When you mount a...
  8. Mounting a Folder as shared network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mounting a Folder as shared network drive: Hi there not sure if it's me or has W10 changed the way you mount network drives I used to be able to add say HDD2/Music as a "Network drive" on say Z. Now it seems I can only mount HDD2 as a network drive. (I.e top level directory rather than one of the subfolders - in...
  9. Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted: [img] You can see from the image above that random drives get drive letters assigned to them for no reason. In addition to that, I can't even remove the drive letters, unless I use diskpart, but then that doesn't stick between reboots. Any ideas? 41103
  10. Explorer can't load folders/drives with mounted network drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer can't load folders/drives with mounted network drives.: [img] As you see in the screenshot Explorer just sits there trying to load the folder I've requested. This happens, seemingly, randomly, at least I haven't been able to find a pattern. If I unmount all network drives the problem disappears. Sometimes it loads within a...