Windows 10: Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings

Discus and support Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings How to Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings

How to: Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings

How to Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

Starting with Windows Security app.

Exploit protection is built into Windows 10 to help protect your device against attacks. Out of the box, your device is already set up with the protection settings that work best for most people.

Exploit protection is part of Windows Defender Exploit Guard. Exploit protection helps protect devices from malware that use exploits to spread and infect. It consists of a number of mitigations that can be applied at either the operating system level, or at the individual app level.

You configure these settings using the Windows Defender Security Center on an individual machine, and then export the configuration as an XML file as a backup and that you can deploy to other machines. When you export the settings, all settings for both app-level and system-level mitigations are saved. This means you don't need to export a file from both the System settings and Program settings sections - either section will export all settings.

For more information, see also:
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to change Exploit protection settings in Windows Security in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable Exploit protection settings.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Exploit protection settings disabled (grayed out) in Windows Defender Security Center

Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows components\Windows Defender Security Center\App and browser protection

3. In the right pane of App and browser protection in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Prevent users from modifying settings policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured[/B] is the default setting.

6. To Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender Security Center\App and Browser protection

DisallowExploitProtectionOverride DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_changing_Exploit_protection_settings.reg

Download

3. To Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_changing_Exploit_protection_settings.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 4, 2015

2. Exploit Protection Settings

The Exploit Protection settings are preconfigured; and home users should generally just leave them alone:

The Use default configuration for each of the mitigation settings indicates our recommendation for a base level of protection for everyday usage for home users. Enterprise deployments should consider the protection required for
    their individual needs and may need to modify configuration away from the defaults.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...er-exploit-guard/customize-exploit-protection

Apply mitigations to help prevent attacks through vulnerabilities

The preconfigured applications have been optimized by Microsoft – and adding customizations for other apps requires both a rationale and an understanding of the potential consequences, since haphazardly changing the default settings for an app can
    easily render it dysfunctional.

It’s ironic that these application mitigations are exposed in the Windows Defender Security Center interface, while the safe and simple Windows Defender configuration options are only available via the PowerShell Set-MpPreference command line:

Set-MpPreference (defender)

The Set-MpPreference cmdlet now also includes the parameters for Attack Surface Reduction and Block at First Sight:

Windows Defender Detection rate

GreginMich, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem

@roy111, the screenshots in Brink's tutorial show all the Exploit protection settings in English, that should help you navigate the "Italian" ones...
    Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

This lists all the settings and describes what each one does.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...oit-protection

4. Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings

Exploit Protection Settings

Open Windows Defender Security Center and click on
    App & browser control
    and there find Exploit protection settings
    and you could change settings for Exploit protection from there.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Oct 27, 2019
  5. AndreTen Win User
    AndreTen, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications
    that no longer launch properly.

An acceptable solution is to add exclusions for the offending applications.

I have been trying to add an exclusion for these application but without any luck. The only way to get the applications to work is to disable the feature through gpedit. Here the option:

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Network Protection\Prevent users and apps from accessing dangerous websites"

These are standalone Win10Pro machines running version 1803. I've tried the following:

1) Using gpedit, adding the application exe and path to

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus\Exclusions\Path Exclusions"

2) Using Defender Security Center - App&browser Control - Exploit protection settings - Program Settings

Adding each application and then disabling ALL system options.

I'm kinda stuck at the moment and I'm hoping I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Dave

DavidLawrence9, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings

1. Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Defender

2. Exploit Protect/System Settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Exploit Protect/System Settings: Hey there!I just have a simple question to ask, nothing too technical.I was just wondering for the sake of knowledge and education,what is the difference between, "Use default On" vs "On by default" in the exploit protection settings?If you can explain, can you do so in...
  3. exploit protection prgram settings

exploit protection prgram settings: what would the default for exploit protection prgram settings look like? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/exploit-protection-prgram-settings/e1a72e2b-5556-4831-b4e8-4263db95898a
  4. Exploit protection settings

Exploit protection settings: 1. I do not understand the "System settings" options under EXPLOIT PROTECTION in Windows Defender set up section. What does "Use default on vs. "On by default mean? What is the safest? 2, What is SEHOP? What is "heap integrity" What is "High-entropy ASLR...
  5. WINDOWS DEFENDER EXPLOIT PROTECTION POWERSHELL SCRIPTS TO ENABLE PROCESS MIGITATION...

WINDOWS DEFENDER EXPLOIT PROTECTION POWERSHELL SCRIPTS TO ENABLE PROCESS MIGITATION...: i am sharing some PowerShell scripts to enable certain process migration components for the various application settings The following components are recommended to enable different applications Dep BottomUp ForceRelocateImages EnableExportAddressFilterPlus...
  6. WINDOWS DEFENDER EXPLOIT PROTECTION POWERSHELL SCRIPTS TO ENABLE OR DISABLE PROCESS...

WINDOWS DEFENDER EXPLOIT PROTECTION POWERSHELL SCRIPTS TO ENABLE OR DISABLE PROCESS...: I am sharing some PowerShell scripts to enable migration process components at system level Just open WINDOWS POWERSHELL run as administrator and enter the following commands to enable Set-ProcessMitigation System -enable AllowStoreSignedBinaries...
  7. WINDOWS DEFENDER EXPLOIT PROTECTION POWERSHELL SCRIPTS TO ENABLE OR DISABLE PROCESS...

WINDOWS DEFENDER EXPLOIT PROTECTION POWERSHELL SCRIPTS TO ENABLE OR DISABLE PROCESS...: I am sharing some PowerShell scripts to enable migration process components at system level Just open WINDOWS POWERSHELL run as administrator and enter the following commands to enable Set-ProcessMitigation System -enable AllowStoreSignedBinaries...
  8. Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem

Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem: Hi guys, For some strange reason my System settings tab is not there in my Exploit Protection settings, only Program settings is visible. Any suggestions on what is happening? 106098
  9. Enable Windows Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Windows Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection in Windows 10: How to: Enable Windows Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection in Windows 10 Network protection is a feature that is part of version 1709[/b]. It helps to prevent users from using...
  10. Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 Starting with Windows Defender Security Center. Exploit protection is built into Windows 10 to help protect your device...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. DisallowExploitProtectionOverride