Windows 10: Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Discus and support Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

How to: Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information create virtual drives called storage spaces. These storage spaces typically store two copies of your data so if one of your drives fails, you still have an intact copy of your data. If you run low on capacity, just add more drives to the storage pool.

These drives can be internal or external hard drives, or solid state drives. You can use a variety of types of drives with Storage Spaces, including USB, SATA, and SAS drives.

This tutorial will show you how to add drives to a storage pool for storage spaces in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to add drives to the storage pool.

Here's How:

1. Add or connect the drive(s) that you want to add to the storage pool.

2. Open Settings, click/tap on the System icon, click/tap on Storage on the left side, and click/tap on the Manage Storage Spaces link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note You can also open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Storage Spaces icon instead.

3. Click/tap on the Change settings button, click/tap on Yes if prompted by UAC, and click/tap on the Add drives link for the storage pool you want to add drives to. (see screenshot below)

4. Select (check) the disk(s) (drives) you want to add to the storage pool, check (default) or uncheck to optimize drive usage to spread existing data across all drives for what you want, and then select Add drives. (see screenshot below)

Note When you add new drives to an existing pool, it's a good idea to optimize drive usage. This will move some of your data to the newly added drive to make the best use of the pool's capacity.

Warning Windows will permanently delete all partitions and files on selected formatted drives (disks).

Be sure to back up anything you do not want to lose to another disk first.

5. The selected disk(s) (drives) will now be added to the storage pool. (see screenshot below)

Tip If you like, you can click/tap on the Change link for the storage space above to change the maximum storage space size to what you want since you just added a drive(s) to have more space available.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 21, 2016
  2. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

3. chuck1212 Win User
    Storage Spaces Pool - How to find enumerated drive number?

Hi All,

When creating a Storage Spaces Pool, the member drives are no longer listed in Disk Management.

My system has been hanging every so often and when I checked the Windows logs, I see a lot of critical error messages about Harddisk/DR10 having a bad block. Since Disk Management no longer lists the individual pool drives, how do I find out which DR10 is one of the pool member drives?

I've tried mini partition tool to see if it can see the drives, it doesn't. It can only see what Disk Management sees and that's only non-storage spaces pooled drives.

Many thanks!
    Chuck

chuck1212, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Storage pool

Hello,

Storage Spaces is a technology in Windows and Windows Server that can help protect your data from drive failures. It is conceptually similar to RAID, implemented in software. You can use Storage Spaces to group three or more drives together into a storage pool
    and then use capacity from that pool to create Storage Spaces. These typically store extra copies of your data so if one of your drives fails, you still have an intact copy of your data. If you run low on capacity, just add more drives to the storage pool.

In setting up a storage space, it's recommended that you use a hard drive that doesn't contain important files as the drive will be formatted to mirror the host drive.

For more information regarding Storage Spaces, read this
    FAQ page

Hope the information I provided helps.

Ferdz Amp, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

We just released a couple of new Storage Spaces features with the
    Windows 10 November update
    :

• Optimize drive usage to make the best use of all of your drives after adding drives
    • Safely remove a drive from a pool by automatically moving data off the drive and onto other drives in the pool.
    To make use of these features you'll have to install the
    Windows 10 November update.
    Our latest Help content briefly covers the new Storage Spaces functionality:

Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Cheers!

Jason Gerend - Senior Content Developer for Storage Spaces

Jason Gerend_MSFT, Oct 26, 2019
  6. MikeBar Win User
    When adding a journal for storage spaces, is the journal added to the storage pool or a the storage space?

I'm planning to create 2 storage spaces, 1 for backup and 1 for my main data. I was going to add 1 journal to each storage space, but it looks like the journal applies to the storage pool, not the storage space. Is that the case? if it is, is the better
    approach to add 2 SSD drives to the storage pool as journals? If I add 2 drives as journals, how do I change the friendly name of the drives? Both of my drives that I want to use as journals have the same exact name.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeBar, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Drives Storage

2. How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Essentially, Storage Spaces stores two copies of your data so if one of your […] This article How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Add Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add Storage Pool: Hey guys, I am have trouble a storage pool to my small HP stream it comes up with error 0x00000032 If someone could give me step by step instructions on how to fix this it would be much appreciated. Thanks...
  4. Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to change the name, drive letter, and size of a storage space...
  5. Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you add drives to a storage pool, the hardware...
  6. Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you created a storage pool in Windows 8.1 and either remove drives from pools...
  7. Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Create a Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to create a storage space for a storage pool in Windows...
  8. Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you upgraded an existing pool, you'll be able to remove a drive...
  9. Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information create virtual drives called storage spaces. These storage spaces typically store two copies of...
  10. Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you create a new storage pool, it is named Storage pool by default. You may want to...