Windows 10: Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10

Discus and support Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 How to Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 [img] Information add more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10

How to: Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10

How to Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10

Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information add more drives to the storage pool.

You can create a simple, mirror (two-way or three-way), or parity storage space:
    • Simple spaces are designed for increased performance, but don't protect your files from drive failure. They're best for temporary data (such as video rendering files), image editor scratch files, and intermediary compiler object files. Simple spaces require at least two drives to be useful.
    • Mirror spaces are designed for increased performance and protect your files from drive failure by keeping multiple copies. Two-way mirror spaces make two copies of your files and can tolerate one drive failure, while three-way mirror spaces can tolerate two drive failures. Mirror spaces are good for storing a broad range of data, from a general-purpose file share to a VHD library. When a mirror space is formatted with the Resilient File System (ReFS), Windows will automatically maintain your data integrity, which makes your files even more resilient to drive failure. Two-way mirror spaces require at least two drives, and three-way mirror spaces require at least five drives.
    • Parity spaces are designed for storage efficiency and protect your files from drive failure by keeping multiple copies. Parity spaces are best for archival data and streaming media, like music and videos. This storage layout requires at least three drives to protect you from a single drive failure and at least seven drives to protect you from two drive failures.
    This tutorial will show you how to use Storage Spaces to create a new pool and storage space in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to create a new pool and storage space.

Here's How:

1. Add or connect the drives that you want to group together with Storage Spaces.

Note These drives can be internal or external hard drives, or solid state drives. You can use a variety of types of drives with Storage Spaces, including USB, SATA, and SAS drives.

The number of required drives will depend on if you want to create a simple, mirror (two-way or three-way), or parity storage space. See info at the top of this tutorial for how many drives will be required.

2. Open Settings, click/tap on the System icon, click/tap on Storage on the left side, and click/tap on the Manage Storage Spaces link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note You can also open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Storage Spaces icon instead.

3. Click/tap on the Create a new pool and storage space link. (see screenshots below)

4. Click/tap on Yes if prompted by UAC.

5. Select (check) the disks you want to add to the new storage space to create a storage pool, and then select Create pool. (see screenshot below)

Warning Windows will permanently delete all partitions and files on selected formatted drives (disks).

Be sure to back up anything you do not want to lose to another disk first.

6. Enter a name (ex: "Storage space") you want for this storage space. (see screenshot below step 10)

7. Select a drive letter (ex: "E") you want for this storage space. (see screenshot below step 10)

8. Select a step 10)

Note REFS will only be available if previously enabled.

*Arrow Enable or Disable ReFS File System in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 - Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

9. Select a Simple, Two-way mirror, Three-way mirror, or Parity resiliency type you want for this storage space. (see screenshot below step 10)

10. Enter the maximum size you want this storage space can reach, and click/tap on Create storage space. (see screenshot below)

11. The new storage pool and storage space will now be created. (see screenshot below)

Note The physical drives are the disks you selected in step 5 above.

12. This storage space (virtual drive) will now show up as a drive (ex: "E") in This PC for users to use like any other drive on the PC. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 21, 2016
  2. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

3. create storage pool

I had a USB storage device that became damaged and unserviceable attached to my laptop I had a storage pool with this storage device . I deleted the storage device and did the necessary steps that i know to unattached the device from the memory. I plugged
    in a new storage device and tried to create a new storage pool. I keep getting the error r unable to create because it is being used by other apps.

RussellGlidewell, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10

create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

Dear all,

I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out.

I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still unable to create storage space.

Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 f8242173-2fc8-44f9-9db2-f2048944f85d?upload=true.jpg

Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 983fb3f3-1157-475d-a6af-93225ec5eedc?upload=true.jpg

nightearth, Oct 26, 2019
  5. yu gnomi Win User
    I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool

Several years ago I purchased 2 refurbished Hitachi drives, installed them in my PC and used Windows Storage Space feature to configure them as a Storage Pool with 1 Simple Space and 1 Mirrored Space like so:

This set-up remained the same, even though I removed the drives from inside my PC and put them in a dual HDD enclosure, and also when I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I am able to write to and read from these existing Storage Spaces, without problems.

Now, however, I want to make a third storage space from same pool, to experiment with BitLocker - mainly to see how badly it hurts performance:

After it finishes creating the new Storage Space, it gives me an error:

The new Storage Space appears in Storage Space UI (from Control Panel):

But not in File Explorer:

Which makes it completely useless, as far as I can tell.

Attempting to delete the new Storage Space repeats the same error given when the space was created, attempting to change the Storage Space gives a different error:

I am able to delete these useless spaces via Powershell method found in one of Brink's tutorials, but I would rather be able to make a functional new Storage Space. Anyone know how to fix this?

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked, and I think Disk Management shows the new Storage Space as Disk 8.

- - - Updated - - -

A bit more: right-clicking on Disk 8 in Disk Management's UI, brings up more options which led me to this tab:

The text in the box at the bottom in full is:
    Device STORAGE\Disk\{41546632-4b54-40e7-9961-15d5ccdb3843} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_&Prod_&Rev_PMAP\070165E12DFCF469&0Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}Location Path: Migration Rank: 0xF0008000FFFFF120Present: falseStatus: 0xC0000719

yu gnomi, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Any way to downgrade ver. of MS Storage spaces volume w/o data loss?

1. Install Windows 1607 & 1709 dual boot system
    2. Connect two free disks
    3. Boot into 1607
    4. Create storage pool, assign two free disks, create two-way mirror volume
    5. Copy data to new volume
    6. Reboot into 1709
    7. Upgrade your Storage Space pool to gain new features as MS suggests
    8. Reboot into 1607
    9. Your Storage Space configuration looks now as in the picture, volume is inaccessible
    10. Notice that doing step 7 was not the smartest idea, data are now accessible only from Windows 1709.

Question: Is it possible to simply revert Storage Spaces metadata back to version 1607? Answer: No. It is necessary to backup data, destroy upgraded pool, create new pool & mirror in Windows 1607, and restore data.

Is it so hard to understand what necros asks for?

muchomurka, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10

1. Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Pool Storage

2. How to Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: [ATTACH]With Storage Spaces, you can group two or more drives together in a storage […] This article How to Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Create New Pool does not work on Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create New Pool does not work on Storage Spaces: No matter what I try, the app "Storage Spaces" cannot create a new pool. I tried reconnecting and disconnecting my USB drives and nothing worked. Do you have any suggestions on how to RAID USB drives together as one? Thanks in advanced....
  4. Deleted a storage pool cant create a new storage pool after format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted a storage pool cant create a new storage pool after format: Hello , i have an issue this the storage pool system i used to have a storage pool with my 2 hdd and SSD together I deleted that before I formatted and deleted the the storage pool tryring to create a new storage pool i keep getting cant prepare drives Close all application...
  5. create storage pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    create storage pool: I had a USB storage device that became damaged and unserviceable attached to my laptop I had a storage pool with this storage device . I deleted the storage device and did the necessary steps that i know to unattached the device from the memory. I plugged in a new storage...
  6. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces: Dear all, I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out. I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still...
  7. Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to change the name, drive letter, and size of a storage space...
  8. Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you created a storage pool in Windows 8.1 and either remove drives from pools...
  9. Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Create a Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to create a storage space for a storage pool in Windows...
  10. Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you create a new storage pool, it is named Storage pool by default. You may want to...