Windows 10: Add or Remove Mixed Reality page from Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Mixed Reality page from Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Mixed Reality page from Settings in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Mixed Reality from Main Page of Settings in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by bjm, Jan 30, 2018.

1. BJM
    bjm Win User

Add or Remove Mixed Reality page from Settings in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Mixed Reality page from Settings in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Mixed Reality from Main Page of Settings in Windows 10

Microsoft will be bringing Mixed Reality to Windows 10 in the Creators Update when released to the general public on April 2017.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15019, some Insiders will unexpectedly see a Mixed Reality entry on the main page of Settings that includes Audio and speech, Environment, Headset display, Spaces, and Uninstall settings.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15025, Insiders will no longer see a Mixed Reality entry on the main page of Settings by default.

The Mixed Reality icon showing in Settings depends on the tests which Windows 10 performs during installation. If the hardware meets the HoloLens minimum requirements below, then the icon is visible. Otherwise, it is hidden by default.

[table][tr] Minimum Recommended [/tr] [tr][td]Processor[/td] [td]Notebook: Intel Mobile Core i5 7th generation CPU, Dual-Core with Hyper Threading Desktop:Intel Desktop i5 6th generation CPU, Dual-Core with Hyper Threading OR AMD FX4350 4.2Ghz Quad-Core equivalent[/td] [td]Desktop: Intel Desktop i7 6th generation (6 Core) OR AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (6 Core, 12 threads)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]GPU[/td] [td]Notebook: NVIDIA GTX 965M, AMD RX 460M (2GB) equivalent or greater DX12 capable GPU Desktop: NVIDIA GTX 960/1050, AMD Radeon RX 460 (2GB) equivalent or greater DX12 capable GPU[/td] [td]Desktop: NVIDIA GTX 980/1060, AMD Radeon RX 480 (2GB) equivalent or greater DX12 capable GPU[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]GPU driver WDDM version[/td] [td]WDDM 2.2 driver[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Thermal Design Power[/td] [td]15W or greater[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Graphics display ports[/td] [td]1x available graphics display port for headset (HDMI 1.4 or DisplayPort 1.2 for 60Hz headsets, HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 for 90Hz headsets)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Display resolution[/td] [td]Resolution: SVGA (800x600) or greater Bit depth: 32 bits of color per pixel[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Memory[/td] [td]8 GB of RAM or greater[/td] [td]16 GB of RAM or greater[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Storage[/td] [td]>10 GB additional free space[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]USB Ports[/td] [td]1x available USB port for headset (USB 3.0 Type-A) Note: USB must supply a minimum of 900mA[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Bluetooth[/td] [td]Bluetooth 4.0 (for accessory connectivity)[/td] [/tr] [/table]

The Mixed Reality feature in Settings is still a work in progress in Windows 10. If you are a Windows Insider with build 15025 or later (ex: build 15031) installed, you can manually add Mixed Reality back to the main page of Settings to give it a play with.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Mixed reality from the main page of Settings for your account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Mixed reality in Settings

Add or Remove Mixed Reality page from Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic

FirstRunSucceeded DWORD

0 = Remove
    1 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add Mixed Reality to Main Page of Settings
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Mixed_reality_to_Settings_page.reg

Download

3. To Remove Mixed Reality from Main Page of Settings
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Mixed_reality_from_Settings_page.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Romel Ram Win User

Mixed Reality Endless Setup

Hi,

We understand that you're having issues setting up Mixed Reality. We have provided the articles below as your guide in setting up and troubleshooting:

Set up Windows Mixed Reality

Windows Mixed Reality Setup FAQ

Kindly post back if you have further concerns.

Romel Ram, Jan 30, 2018
  3. mixed reality in 1703

hi joydeep sir do i need any vr head sets to view mixed reality or i can simply use mixed reality in windows 10 1703.or there will be an app to view mixed reality without vr headsets.

[ Moved from: Windows>Windows 10>Performance & System failures>PC ]

JoydeepSarkar685, Jan 30, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Deleting the folder may cause issues with the actual app.

Brink, Jan 30, 2018
  5. BJM
    bjm Win User
    My machine does not support Mixed Reality. I manually changed the reg dword to gain access to the Mixed Reality Icon on Settings page.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The grayed out Mixed Reality Portal app on All Apps list in Start menu from the uninstall option in Mixed Reality settings seems to be a bug in Windows 10 and should hopefully be fixed in a future Windows 10 version.

Brink, Jan 30, 2018
  7. BJM
    bjm Win User
    And, so it's okay to simply delete HoloShell folder? and any remnants e.g., in System Apps > HolographicFirstRun?

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I wouldn't recommend to do so since it may have unknown consequences.

Brink, Jan 30, 2018
  9. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Hmm, Okay. So, removing the Mixed Reality from Main Page of Settings is cosmetic?
    And Uninstall was not really an Uninstall of the app.

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct. The Settings page is just a simple cosmetic on/off toggle.

The Uninstall option in Settings will remove user info and return Windows Mixed Reality to default settings. Preinstalled mixed reality apps will not be uninstalled.

Brink, Jan 30, 2018
  11. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Okay, then we best leave sleeping apps lie.
    Thanks!
    Regards w Respect

12. Lmbrt Win User
    Hello Shawn, *Smile

It may be of some interest that applying the registry change effectively adds Mixed reality to Settings, but the "Uninstall" button does not appear, at least under 1709, leaving room for a thin grey bar without any instructions and when trying to click on it, nothing happens.

Even more interestingly, after having successfully uninstalled the HolographicFirstRun package with the Get-appx... commands in PowerShell, Mixed Reality Portal disappeared in the Start menu and, after a while, the "Uninstall" button reappeared in Settings allowing to uninstall Windows Mixed Reality.

It may well be a coincidence, of course... *Confused

Lmbrt, Mar 1, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Lamberto, *Smile

It may have been a coincidence. The Uninstall button shows for me right after adding. Odd.

Brink, Mar 1, 2018
  14. Lmbrt Win User
    Actually, the small anonymous button seems to be reported by quite a few users on the net which brings me to think that it is not an isolated case, but not a generalized one either.

What leaves me puzzled is that the real button reappeared after a while and I don't know whether it was just a matter of waiting or the fact that the HolographicFirstRun package had been uninstalled.

Odd anyway, because clicking on it allowed me to Uninstall Mixed reality and prompt for a reboot after which even the registry key disappeared. In fact, I (wrongly) thought that this would not be possible after having removed the corresponding package... *Confused

Lmbrt, Mar 1, 2018
  15. Lmbrt Win User
    Hello again, *Smile

After having looked into a couple of different PC's, I would say that... you are right as usual.

1. The small grey button does NOT appear on all of them and I think we can infer that it is a random phenomenon possibly due to a bug that may well be fixed in future releases.
    2. As a consequence, I would infer as well that there is NO apparent strong relation between the Settings | Mixed reality stuff and the Mixed Reality Portal app / Start menu entry.

That having been said, IMHO I would rather uninstall first the Settings part, after having trimmed the registry key as you suggest, and then, if one wishes to get rid of the Start menu entry (that should be grayed out by this time), uninstall (not delete, as you advised) the HolographicFirstRun package (which, in turn, is not exactly a smooth procedure...).

Would you concur with such a sequence or would you do it the other way round?

Thanks a lot *Biggrin

Lmbrt, Mar 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Mixed Reality page from Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Mixed

2. Windows Mixed Reality "Couldn't install Windows Mixed Reality".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Mixed Reality "Couldn't install Windows Mixed Reality".: I was recently using my HP Reverb G2 for VR games the other day. But, I updated my pc last night with the recent KB5034467. Now I receive the "Couldn't install Windows Mixed Reality". Yes, I've tried uninstalling the software, unplugging and plugging the headset back in, and...
  3. Windows Mixed Reality "Couldn't install Windows Mixed Reality".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mixed Reality "Couldn't install Windows Mixed Reality".: I was recently using my HP Reverb G2 for VR games the other day. But, I updated my pc last night with the recent KB5034467. Now I receive the "Couldn't install Windows Mixed Reality". Yes, I've tried uninstalling the software, unplugging and plugging the headset back in, and...
  4. How to configure Mixed Reality settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to configure Mixed Reality settings in Windows 10: Mixed Reality blends real-world and virtual content into hybrid environments where physical and digital objects coexist and interact. In this post, we will show you how to configure Mixed Reality settings in Windows 10. [ATTACH] Configure Mixed Reality settings in Windows...
  5. Windows Mixed Reality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Mixed Reality: When I am playing in the Windows Mixed Reality portal it will just stop displaying in the headset and keep displaying on the PC. 64 Bit Windows 10 Pro with 32GB Ram. NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Video Card. Not sure what to do to fix this. My first thought is a video card with...
  6. Window 10 mixed reality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 10 mixed reality: are you able to play Forza horizon 3 on windows mixed reality https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-mixed-reality/f43e8b34-48a5-45c2-a7d4-64c4c048bcca
  7. Remove Mixed Reality from the Start Menu

Remove Mixed Reality from the Start Menu: Is there any way to get Mixed Reality Portal off my start menu? I went through the Uninstall but it's still there in the menu, and if I accidentally click on it, it becomes apparent that the "uninstall" was a sad joke. Any help would be appreciated....
  8. Mixed Reality

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mixed Reality: Can you tell me where to find short 360 videos to download and watch them on my Lenovo laptop without the internet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/mixed-reality/8bca6bdc-d5fe-4593-a782-0e1ba7d1bee7
  9. Mixed Reality

Mixed Reality: How do I uninstal 'mixed reality' and any associated apps from my PC? I didn't ask for it, and don't want it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_entertainment/mixed-reality/934ba3dd-999b-485c-a0a7-abb531ca80da
  10. remove "Mixed Reality Portal" from the start menu

remove "Mixed Reality Portal" from the start menu: how about a means to remove it from the start menu? So disappointed in microsofts implementation of the start menu and inability to sort/customize it. Even the ability to hide the icon without removing would be acceptable to me but noooooooo... 85172

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove package holoshell