Windows 10: Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10 How to Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10

How to: Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10

How to Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10

Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information User Rights Assignment policies govern the methods by which a user can log on to a system. User rights are applied at the local device level, and they allow users to perform tasks on a device or in a domain. User rights include logon rights and permissions. Logon rights control who is authorized to log on to a device and how they can log on. User rights permissions control access to computer and domain resources, and they can override permissions that have been set on specific objects.

Each group in Windows has its own default rights and permissions. When a user is a member of a group, the user will be assigned the rights and permissions of the group.

This tutorial will show you how to change User Rights Assignment security policy settings to control users and groups ability to perform tasks in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to change User Rights Assignment.

Note If you remove a user or group from a user right policy, then that user or group will no longer be able to perform the policy on the local PC.

If you add a user or group to a user right policy, then that user or group will now be able to perform the actions of the policy on the local PC.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add Users and Groups for User Rights Assignment in Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: To Remove Users and Groups for User Rights Assignment in Local Security Policy
    • Option Three: To Add and Remove Users and Groups for User Rights Assignment in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add Users and Groups for User Rights Assignment in Local Security Policy

Note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, and click/tap on User Rights Assignment. (see screenshot below step 3)

3. In the right pane of User Rights Assignment, double click/tap on the policy (ex: "Shut down the system") you want to add users and/or groups to. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Add User or Group button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Object Types button. (see screenshot below)

6. Check all the boxes for Object types, and click/tap on the OK. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

8. Click/tap on the Find Now button, select the name of the user or group (ex: "Everyone") you want to add, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

9. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

10. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

11. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Remove Users and Groups for User Rights Assignment in Local Security Policy

Note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, and click/tap on User Rights Assignment. (see screenshot below step 3)

3. In the right pane of User Rights Assignment, double click/tap on the policy (ex: "Shut down the system") you want to remove users and/or groups from. (see screenshot below)

4. Select the user or group (ex: "Everyone") you want to remove, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

Note If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

5. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close Local Security Policy if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Add and Remove Users and Groups for User Rights Assignment in Command Prompt
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to do the following below before continuing on to step 2 below.
    A) Download the ntrights.exe file below from the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools.
    Download
    B) Save the ntrights.zip file to your desktop, and unblock it.

C) Open the ntrights.zip file, copy or move the ntrights.exe file into your C:\Windows\System32 folder, and click/tap on Continue to approve.
    2. Open an elevated command prompt.

3. Type the command you want below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Add user or group to user rights policy)
    *Arrow ntrights +r ConstantName -u "User or Group"

OR

(Remove user or group from user rights policy)
    *Arrow ntrights -r ConstantName -u "User or Group"

Note Substitute ConstantName in the command above with the actual constant name (ex: "SeShutdownPrivilege") from the table below for the user rights assignment security policy (ex: "Shut down the system") you want to add or remove a user or group.

Substitute User or Group in the command above with the actual name of the user or group (ex: "Everyone") you want to add or remove for the policy.

For example: ntrights -r SeShutdownPrivilege -u "Everyone"

[table][tr][td]Policy[/td] [td]Constant Name[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Access Credential Manager as a trusted caller[/td] [td]SeTrustedCredManAccessPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Access this computer from the network[/td] [td]SeNetworkLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Act as part of the operating system[/td] [td]SeTcbPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Add workstations to domain[/td] [td]SeMachineAccountPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Adjust memory quotas for a process[/td] [td]SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Allow log on locally[/td] [td]SeInteractiveLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services[/td] [td]SeRemoteInteractiveLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Back up files and directories[/td] [td]SeBackupPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Bypass traverse checking[/td] [td]SeChangeNotifyPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Change the system time[/td] [td]SeSystemtimePrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Change the time zone[/td] [td]SeTimeZonePrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Create a pagefile[/td] [td]SeCreatePagefilePrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Create a token object[/td] [td]SeCreateTokenPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Create global objects[/td] [td]SeCreateGlobalPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Create permanent shared objects[/td] [td]SeCreatePermanentPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Create symbolic links[/td] [td]SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Debug programs[/td] [td]SeDebugPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Deny access to this computer from the network[/td] [td]SeDenyNetworkLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Deny log on as a batch job[/td] [td]SeDenyBatchLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Deny log on as a service[/td] [td]SeDenyServiceLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Deny log on locally[/td] [td]SeDenyInteractiveLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services[/td] [td]SeDenyRemoteInteractiveLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Enable computer and user accounts to be trusted for delegation[/td] [td]SeEnableDelegationPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Force shutdown from a remote system[/td] [td]SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Generate security audits[/td] [td]SeAuditPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Impersonate a client after authentication[/td] [td]SeImpersonatePrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Increase a process working set[/td] [td]SeIncreaseWorkingSetPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Increase scheduling priority[/td] [td]SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Load and unload device drivers[/td] [td]SeLoadDriverPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Lock pages in memory[/td] [td]SeLockMemoryPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Log on as a batch job[/td] [td]SeBatchLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Log on as a service[/td] [td]SeServiceLogonRight[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Manage auditing and security log[/td] [td]SeSecurityPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Modify an object label[/td] [td]SeRelabelPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Modify firmware environment values[/td] [td]SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Perform volume maintenance tasks[/td] [td]SeManageVolumePrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Profile single process[/td] [td]SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Profile system performance[/td] [td]SeSystemProfilePrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Remove computer from docking station[/td] [td]SeUndockPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Replace a process level token[/td] [td]SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Restore files and directories[/td] [td]SeRestorePrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Shut down the system[/td] [td]SeShutdownPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Synchronize directory service data[/td] [td]SeSyncAgentPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Take ownership of files or other objects[/td] [td]SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege[/td] [/tr] [/table]

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 20, 2017
  2. das10 Win User

How To Give All User Log In Accts. Group Policy Editor Access

I don't think it is possible to allow non-admin accounts to be given full access to the GPE as it would negate some of the Security features of Windows. The closest you can get is by adding "Everyone" to the "User Rights Assignment Security Policy Setting" and then allow "Everyone" access to some of the Settings listed thereunder. Personally, I would leave it alone, and just use an admin account when you need to do Windows house-keeping.

Further info on How to Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings:

Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10 | Tutorials

das10, Oct 26, 2019
  3. How To Give All User Log In Accts. Group Policy Editor Access

Thanks for the input. You know I kind of worked my way around to that conclusion that it "would negate some of the Security features of Windows." I will take a look at the link. Thanks again.

phaedruspress, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10

TIME CHANGE AS IF YOU HAD NOT HEARD ABOUT WHERE IS THE FIX

Hi Daphne,

It seems that this is a common behavior in Windows 10 computers that are part of a domain or organization. When joining a domain, there can be changes made in the Group Policy causing some certain settings to be greyed out. Have you tried changing the time
    through Control Panel? It might be a simple solution but it is something that some users miss out. Having said that, it is still something that I suggest you check out.

Here's how

• Go to Control Panel > Date and Time.
    • Click Change date and time... and then pick the correct date and time.
    • Click OK.

Another thing to try is to assign user permissions to change the date and time through Group Policy Editor.

Here are the steps:

• Press Windows+R, and then enter gpedit.msc.
    • Navigate to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment.
    • Assign users to Group Policy Settings Change the system time and
      Change the time zone.

Let us know how it turns out.

Patricia Yu, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Jizzler Win User
    Single User date/time rights

Control Panel -> Administrative -> Local Security Policies ->Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment

There should be "Change the system time". If anything is different, it's because I'm in Windows 7.

I haven't tried it out before, but since I'm able to add domain accounts here, hopefully you'll be able to specify the user account (or group, if multiple people need the "date" machine) and it'll bypass whatever is set in the GPO.

If it works, no additional GPU processing, etc, and it'll only affect that machine with that user (or group).

Jizzler, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows Security Screen shutdown/restart with GPO

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I will certainly help you with this.

Are you on domain computer?

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

Steps: Try to change the group policy settings.

• Press Windows key+R.

• Type gpedit.msc and press enter.

• Expand the security settings.

• Click on security options.

• On the right pane, double click on Interactive logon: display user information when the session is locked.

• Under local security setting tab, change the dropdown to do not display user information.

• Under the same section,
      double-click on Interactive logon: Do not display last user name.

• Under security setting tab, click on enabled and click on apply.

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10

1. Change User Rights Assignment Security Policy Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change User Rights

2. Changing Security Policies in Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Security Policies in Windows 10 Pro?: I asked a question that got no replies. Basically, I'm stuck trying to install needed drivers for a Seagate storage device. Windows lists it in Other devices with a warning that the drivers for the device were blocked due to policy settings! Now, I know I never did any such...
  3. Changing Security Policies in Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Security Policies in Windows 10 Pro?: I asked a question that got no replies. Basically, I'm stuck trying to install needed drivers for a Seagate storage device. Windows lists it in Other devices with a warning that the drivers for the device were blocked due to policy settings! Now, I know I never did any such...
  4. Changing Security Policies in Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Change bitlocker secure boot policy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change bitlocker secure boot policy: Hi,I currently have Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker enabled and requiring a key/passcode on boot.Now I frequently want to boot my laptop from PXE over the network and to do this I need to keep turning off secure boot. If I turn off secure boot I can't then re-boot back into...
  6. Change bitlocker secure boot policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change bitlocker secure boot policy: Hi,I currently have Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker enabled and requiring a key/passcode on boot.Now I frequently want to boot my laptop from PXE over the network and to do this I need to keep turning off secure boot. If I turn off secure boot I can't then re-boot back into...
  7. Add User or Group button is grayed out in User Rights Assignment

in Windows 10 News
    Add User or Group button is grayed out in User Rights Assignment: [ATTACH]In the scenario where users cannot be added on a Windows Server because the Add User or Group button is grayed out in User Rights Assignment in Domain Controller Local Security Policy settings, this post offers suitable solutions to resolve this issue. You are likely...
  8. Group Policy Applied to users with Admin Rights?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy Applied to users with Admin Rights?: Hello. If I create a group policy to restrict access to a single app or to restrict access to Control Panel, is that policy applied to all USERS including those with Admin rights? I assume that the administrator type account used to create the policy is NOT restricted. Or...
  9. possibilities to assign security group based policy within Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    possibilities to assign security group based policy within Windows Defender: Hello, it is possible to assign security group based policy within Windows Defender under domain policy, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/possibilities-to-assign-security-group-based/ac3bfc7e-45e6-42bb-911f-407febd154f0
  10. How to change security policies in win 10 home

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change security policies in win 10 home: Hi, so I found a mmc snap in for editing security policy settings templates. Well, I decided to create a template to change some of these settings, but I don't know how to enable my settings. I know that in windows pro that you use secpol.msc, but win home does not have this....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. User Rights Assignment: