Windows 10: Choose When to Restart for Windows Update in Windows 10

Discus and support Choose When to Restart for Windows Update in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Choose When to Restart for Windows Update in Windows 10 Choose How Updates are Installed for When to Restart Windows 10 [img] Warning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Choose When to Restart for Windows Update in Windows 10

How to: Choose When to Restart for Windows Update in Windows 10

Choose How Updates are Installed for When to Restart Windows 10

Choose When to Restart for Windows Update in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 14316 released on April 6th 2016.

The new feature for this is:
    Information In Windows 10, updates will be automatically downloaded and installed whenever they’re available. (Unless you’re on a metered connection, in which case the updates won’t download until you opt to get them.)

Sometimes your PC may need to restart to finish installing the updates. To prevent those restarts from happening at the most inconvenient time, you can choose how updates are installed.

Automatic (recommended) = Keep everything running smoothly. Windows will restart your device automatically when you're not using it. Updates won't download over a metered connection (where charges may apply).

Notify to schedule restart = You'll be asked to schedule a restart to finish installing updates. Updates won't download over a metered connection (where charges may apply).

This tutorial will show you how to choose how updates are installed for when to restart the PC to finish installing updates in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Windows Update "A restart has been scheduled"

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & recovery icon.

2. Click/tap on Advanced options on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. In the drop down menu under Choose how updates are installed, select Automatic (default) or Notify to schedule restart for what you want. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Night Hawk, Oct 23, 2015

2. I want to change when Windows 10 updates are applied?

WYSIWYG.

If you're running Win10 Home edition, you can't change the time updates are installed - you can't choose which updates are installed either.

You CAN choose when your computer restarts after an update's installed (vs. restarting automatically). See

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-choose-how-updates-are-installed

Nice, huh?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 23, 2015
  3. USAF-Ryan Win User
    Receiving "error 0xc1900204" when attempting to update Windows 10

Hello,

I am receiving an error message "error 0xc1900204" when attempting to update Windows 10 on my laptop. When I attempt to update, Windows states that updates are available.

These are the updates: • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3163017).

• Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586.

When I choose to install the updates, Windows will download and install the updates and then I'll choose to restart. When the computer restarts, I recieve the message that Windows is installing the updates, it restarts again and then says "We couldn't complete
    the updates. Undoing Changes." After this, it says the reason is "error 0xc1900204". My laptop keeps freezing on certain programs and this update is supposed to fix that but it just won't happen.

I'm running Windows 10 Home with an Nvidia GTX970M GPU, 16 GB of RAM, Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (64 bit) with a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.

Thoughts?

USAF-Ryan, Oct 23, 2015
Thema:

Choose When to Restart for Windows Update in Windows 10

1. Choose When to Restart for Windows Update in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Choose Restart Update

2. Dual booted Windows 11 and Windows 10 but system restarts when we choose Windows 10 and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual booted Windows 11 and Windows 10 but system restarts when we choose Windows 10 and...: I have recently dual booted Windows 11 and Windows 10. But the problem is that when I choose Windows 10 to boot, the system is restarting and then entering Windows 10 properly. Is there anyway I can directly enter both OS without restarting my PC. Please help....
  3. Dual booted Windows 11 and Windows 10 but system restarts when we choose Windows 10 and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual booted Windows 11 and Windows 10 but system restarts when we choose Windows 10 and...: I have recently dual booted Windows 11 and Windows 10. But the problem is that when I choose Windows 10 to boot, the system is restarting and then entering Windows 10 properly. Is there anyway I can directly enter both OS without restarting my PC. Please help....
  4. Windows updated even when I choose not to.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updated even when I choose not to.: I recently had a prompt to update my windows when shutting down the PC, but because I had to leave I choose not to, I didn't have the time to wait for the install to finish, but then the install happened anyway. How do I stop this? It isn't really a problem that the machine...
  5. Windows updated even when I choose not to.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updated even when I choose not to.: I recently had a prompt to update my windows when shutting down the PC, but because I had to leave I choose not to, I didn't have the time to wait for the install to finish, but then the install happened anyway. How do I stop this? It isn't really a problem that the machine...
  6. Windows updated even when I choose not to.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. I choose Windows 10 volume 2 but it keeps restarting

in Windows 10 Customization
    I choose Windows 10 volume 2 but it keeps restarting: Hello, I had a problem with the system and then I choosed to reset and keep my files. When I came to choose the windows version, there were 2 windows 10 volume 2 Whenever I choose one of these, the laptop will load then restart, then it will restart again and again how can i...
  8. Stuck at restart screen when windows 10 is updating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck at restart screen when windows 10 is updating: Hi I need some help because my laptop is stuck at the restart screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-at-restart-screen-when-windows-10-is/3469b91b-883b-4bc4-9ad0-b4c721fa8801
  9. choose manually windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    choose manually windows 10 updates: I want to choose manually windows 10 updates just as before with windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/choose-manually-windows-10-updates/b741ada7-a4ce-41c0-85fa-4a750ec86d83
  10. Choose when to install updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Choose when to install updates?: I have windows 10 Pro. When I go to check updates, if any are available it will automatically download and Install. Isn't there a way I can set things up so that I can choose when to download and install? 23409