Windows 10: Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10

Discus and support Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10 Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by hazem, Mar 18, 2015.

1. hazem Win User

Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10

How to: Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10

Windows Update Delivery Optimization
    lets you get Windows and Store app updates from sources in addition to Microsoft. This can help you get updates and apps more quickly if you have a limited or unreliable Internet connection. And if you own more than one PC, it can reduce the amount of Internet bandwidth needed to keep all of your PCs up-to-date. Delivery Optimization also sends updates and apps from your PC to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet.

When configuring Delivery Optimization on Windows 10 devices, the first and most important thing to configure is the Download mode, which dictates how Delivery Optimization downloads Windows updates.

You can choose to download updates only from Microsoft, Microsoft and PCs on your local network, or Microsoft and PCs on your local network and internet.

Delivery Optimization works in two ways.

Download updates and apps from other PCs

In addition to downloading updates and apps from Microsoft, Windows will get updates and apps from other PCs that already have them. You can choose which PCs you get these updates from:

PCs on your local network. When Windows downloads an update or app, it will look for other PCs on your local network that have already downloaded the update or app using Delivery Optimization. Windows then downloads parts of the file from those PCs and parts of the file from Microsoft. Windows doesnt download the entire file from one place. Instead, the download is broken down into smaller parts. Windows uses the fastest, most reliable download source for each part of the file.

PCs on your local network and PCs on the Internet. Windows uses the same process as when getting updates and apps from PCs on your local network, and also looks for PCs on the Internet that can be used as a source to download parts of updates and apps.

Send updates and apps to other PCs

When Delivery Optimization is turned on, your PC sends parts of apps or updates that youve downloaded using Delivery Optimization to other PCs on your local network, or on the Internet, depending on your settings.

Delivery Optimization uses locally cached updates. In cases where devices have ample local storage and you would like to cache more content, or if you have limited storage and would like to cache less, use the following settings to adjust the Delivery Optimization cache to suit your scenario:
    • Max Cache Size and Absolute Max Cache Size control the amount of space the Delivery Optimization cache can use.
    • Max Cache Age controls the retention period for each update in the cache.
    • The system drive is the default location for the Delivery Optimization cache. The Modify Cache Drive policy allows administrators to change that location.
    For more details about Delivery Optimization, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to choose a download mode for Delivery Optimization of Windows and Store app updates in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to choose how Windows Updates are delivered.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Choose how you Download Updates in Settings
    • Option Two: Choose how you Download Updates using REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Choose how you Download Updates in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Windows Update on the left side, and click/tap on the Advanced options link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

*note Starting with step 4.

Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Delivery Optimization link. (see screenshot below)

4. Do step 5 (on) or step 6 (off) below for what you would like to do.

5. Turn on get updates from more than one place
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Turn on Allow downloads from other PCs. (see screenshots below)

B) Select (dot) either PCs on my local network or PCs on my local network, and PCs on the Internet.

C) Click/tap on the Advanced options link, and uncheck or check and adjust Download settings and Upload settings bandwidth limits for how you want.

D) When finished, you can close this window if you like.

6. Turn off get updates from more than one place
    A) Turn off Allow downloads from other PCs. (see screenshot below)

B) When finished, you can close this window if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Choose how you Download Updates using REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Settings

DownloadMode string value (REG_SZ)

0 = Off - Download updates only from Microsoft
    1 = Download updates from Microsoft and LAN
    3 = Download updates from Microsoft, LAN, and Internet

1. Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for what you would like to do.

2. Turn on get updates from Microsoft, LAN, and Internet
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 5 below.

Turn_On_Download_Updates_LAN_and_Internet.reg

Download

3. Turn on get updates from Microsoft and LAN
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 5 below.

Turn_On_Download_Updates_LAN.reg

Download

4. Turn off get updates from more than one place - Microsoft only

Turn_Off_Get_updates_from_more_than_one_place.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

hazem, Mar 18, 2015
  2. Mark Bu Win User

Windows Mail App

Hello,

You can check for updates for Windows from: Start -> Settings -> Updates and security -> Windows Updates -> Check for updates. For more information on how to choose how updates are installed, see

this
    article.

You can also check for Mail and Calendar updates from the Store: From Start type "Store", and then click on the store app. Once the Store app is open, select the user icon (next to the search bar in the upper right), and the select "Downloads and updates",
    and then click the "check for updates" button.

You will need to be able to open the Mail app to be able to check the version.

Mark Bu, Mar 18, 2015
  3. I do not have windows store app on my Windows 10, how can I get it?

I do not have windows store app on my windows 10 computer, how can I get it. If I go to the windows store and sign in nothing I choose will download. Nothing happens.

jlmckenzie, Mar 18, 2015
  4. Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10

If you're looking to automate this, you can modify the following registry entry:

Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config] ; off "DownloadMode"=dword:00000000 ; lan only "DownloadMode"=dword:00000002 ; lan and web "DownloadMode"=dword:00000003[/quote] Here's the appropriate reg commands:
    :: off
    Code: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v DownloadMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f[/quote] :: lan
    Code: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v DownloadMode /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f[/quote] :: web
    Code: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v DownloadMode /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f[/quote] And to obtain the current value:
    Code: reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v DownloadMode[/quote] 0 = off, 2 = LAN only, 3 = Web and LAN

shawnkhall, Mar 19, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you Shawn. I added this as Option Two in the tutorial for others. *Smile

Brink, Mar 19, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 18, 2015
  7. 3 = Download updates from Microsoft, LAN, and Internet

Forgive me if I'm being paranoid, but do we really want to download updates from external sources other than Microsoft? If I were a malicious code writer, this is what I'd be targeting.

nigelmercier, Aug 4, 2015
  8. Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10

Yes and no. It depends on how much control you have over the network where you'll be enabling these features. I personally won't enable "internet" as a source for any of my own devices or my clients, but the LAN peering support will help a *lot* of my clients with low bandwidth and metered connections.

shawnkhall, Aug 4, 2015
  9. Gilgamesh Win User
    I have this set to download from PCs on my internal network so I "should" only have to download from MS once.
    How can I verify that secondary PCs are only using my LAN and not MS? I tried logging onto my router and disconnecting my ADSL so that my LAN was still operational; but that stopped patch downloads in their tracks. Usage graphs from my router indicate that the traffic is still using the internet rather than the LAN.
    Thanks

Gilgamesh, Feb 17, 2016
  10. Updates still require contact with WU in order to obtain the available patch list and hashes to ensure the patches they're being offered on the LAN are valid. Further, some updates will never be offered across the LAN (such as updates to WUA). More about the process here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...timization-faq

shawnkhall, Feb 17, 2016
  11. Gilgamesh Win User
    Unfortunately I didn't explain what I did properly (my apologies).
    Whilst I still had my router connected to the Internet I clicked on the Check for Updates button in Windows. My PC queried WU and got a list of the available updates and (being windows 10) immediately started to download them.
    It was at this point that I had my router disconnect from the Internet in the hope that this would force the PC to use my LAN to get the patches from another PC that had previously been patched. But this was a forlorn hope as nothing further was downloaded over the LAN, and I had to reconnect to the Internet for the patches to download from WU.
    Both PCs were Win 10 Home 64 bit but one was UEFI boot and the other was MBR boot but I don't think this should make a difference.

But I did notice something in the link you provided
    This could be read as that updates will be shared IF they are being downloaded simultaneously on multiple PCs.

Gilgamesh, Feb 18, 2016
  12. I think you are correct . It stacks up with my own observations, but as I very seldom have more than one PC on my LAN these days wanting to do updates, it is no longer an issue for me.

Geoff Daniell, Feb 18, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

UPDATE:

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14915 for PC and Mobile

Brink, Aug 30, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Shawn, I was just thinking about this, since it is what they are pushing in 14915, I have been using it a few months now, and haven't really noticed a difference on my PC, maybe it helps others though.
    This could be that I don't update every thing at once.

But I'm side tracking here,
    what I really wanted to post is, if someone really wants or needs to use this option, they need to make sure they DON'T delete the files with Disk Cleanup or any other disk cleaner the has the option.

Cliff S, Aug 31, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Cliff, *Smile

The Delivery Optimization Files option in Disk Cleanup should be safe to delete since it says that it deletes previously downloaded files. I would think that the service would just download the files again if needed after being deleted.

What was your experience?

Brink, Aug 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Choose How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Choose Store App

2. Windows store apps, Windows updates do not download.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows store apps, Windows updates do not download.: This also happened a month ago while trying to update a few apps, such as Forza Horizon 5, and download a few others., but then it was benign enough to the point I could drag it over the line by telling it to continue the update after it ran into a problem enough times....
  3. Windows store apps, Windows updates do not download.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows store apps, Windows updates do not download.: This also happened a month ago while trying to update a few apps, such as Forza Horizon 5, and download a few others., but then it was benign enough to the point I could drag it over the line by telling it to continue the update after it ran into a problem enough times....
  4. Windows store apps, Windows updates do not download.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Store won't download and update the apps.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Store won't download and update the apps.: Hiii, I just updated my Windows Store recently but few moments later it stopped working. So I tried to reboot my PC, then it started working but won't download or update any app. It keeps loading. I tried to troubleshoot, but it print "Hanging and crashing apps". Please...
  6. Windows 10 Microsoft store won't download or update apps

Windows 10 Microsoft store won't download or update apps: I've tried every solution posted online short of completely reinstalling windows, including upgrading windows with the media creation tool. Whenever I try to download updates they all hang on "Downloading..." or Pending. Occasionally one of the downloads will recognize...
  7. cant update windows 10 or download apps from the store ?

cant update windows 10 or download apps from the store ?: getting Code: 0x80070424 error when downloading any apps, im using the profile i registered win 10 to my system so it is all synched to the correct locations. checked windows updates (There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep...
  8. How was this Windows Store app able to download adware to a Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How was this Windows Store app able to download adware to a Windows 10: Apps from the Windows Store run in a highly restricted sandbox and have to be approved before they can be listed. So why was this app able to automatically download an executable file that multiple virus scanners identified as potentially dangerous? How was Windows Store app...
  9. Store apps will not download or update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store apps will not download or update: Yet again I am unable to download or update apps from the Store. I now have fourteen pending or otherwise stuck. In the past I have solved this by turning the Windows Firewall (managed by Norton) back on temporarily but this time it is already on. I have tried resetting the...
  10. Specify How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10: How to: Specify How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10 How to Specify How Windows and Store App Updates are Downloaded in Windows 10 Windows Update Delivery Optimization lets you get Windows and Store app updates from sources in addition to...