Windows 10: Create File History shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by RolandMaes63, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Create File History shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Create File History shortcut in Windows 10

How to Create File History shortcut in Windows 10

File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10.

You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select to save to. You can select to save backups to an internal hard drive, externally connected drive (ex: USB drive), or you can save to a drive on a network. You can add, remove, and exclude folders to be backed up by File History.

Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files.

File History takes advantage of a feature built into the NTFS file system called the change journal to keep track of changes to files. Essentially, when any change is made to a file or folder on your hard disk, the change journal is updated with a description of the change and the name of the file or folder. So to determine which files need to be backed up, File History simply consults the NTFS change journal. Using the change journal is fast and efficient and won't use up a lot of system resources like running a conventional backup routine does.

If the drive selected as the backup location becomes unavailable, such as when a USB cable is disconnected or the network goes down for maintenance, File History will continue to do its job by saving the copies to a cache on the local drive. Once the backup location becomes available again, the cached contents are transferred to that location and removed from the local drive.

For more about File History, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to create or download a File History shortcut for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: File History in the Control Panel

Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Download a File History Shortcut
    1 Click/tap on the Download button below to download the File_History_shortcut.zip file.
    Download
    2 Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3 Unblock the .zip file.

4 Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5 If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6 When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create a File History Shortcut
    1 Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2 Copy and paste the location below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow control /name Microsoft.FileHistory

3 Type File History for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)

You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4 Right click or press and hold on the new File History shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.

5 Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

6 In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow C:\Windows\System32\FileHistory.exe

7 Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)

You could use any icon that you would like instead though.

8 Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9 If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

RolandMaes63, Jul 23, 2018
  2. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Flava0ne Win User

Tried both of the VB Scripts that you provided and adding the 9 switch to the batch file but neither was able to create a shortcut to my desktop.

Flava0ne, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Flava0ne Win User

Create File History shortcut in Windows 10

So basically my Batch File will now look like this:

Code: @echo off CreateShortcut.exe "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] Thanks man! *Big Grin Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 :D This does exactly what I want done and I'm able to customize the icon for the shortcut without problems. But I'm not quite sure how to use the [icon file] portion you mentioned that it supports. I tried the following Batch File:

Code: @echo off CreateShortcut.exe "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe" "C:\Users\Administrator\Pictures\Notepad.ico"[/quote] It created the shortcut but didn't change the icon.

Flava0ne, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Hmm, I just tried it and it worked fine. Maybe try running the batch as administrator? Also, right click on the desktop after the shortcut is created and click Refresh.

If the file in the third parameter doesn't exist, it assumes the icon is in the application.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Threw a program together quick for you. It is attached with source in the other. Use it in place of your VBScript.

It supports:
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon index]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file] [icon index]

If "icon index" is missing, it assumes 0. If "icon file" is missing it assumes "path to run." It doesn't presently support arguments to be added to the shortcut nor modifying the working directory (always assumes same directory as "path to run").

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run. Will run natively on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Create File History shortcut in Windows 10

1. Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create File History

2. How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?: I am having a problem creating a desktop shortcut for File History in windows 11. When I right click the desktop, and click on NEW followed by SHORTCUT, I get a message box asking me to type the location of the item. Do any of you know the LOCATION of File History? * Moved...
  3. How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?: I am having a problem creating a desktop shortcut for File History in windows 11. When I right click the desktop, and click on NEW followed by SHORTCUT, I get a message box asking me to type the location of the item. Do any of you know the LOCATION of File History? * Moved...
  4. Creating a reg file or shortcut.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a reg file or shortcut.: Is there any way I can create shortcut or reg file to enable/disable a rule of Inbound and Outbound of Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security? submitted by /u/npc73 [link] [comments]...
  5. How to create a shortcut for File History on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create a shortcut for File History on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]File History is a useful feature in the Windows 10 operating system. This feature makes an automatic back up versions of important files on a computer to internal or external storage on a computer. These files can also be backed [...] This post How to create...
  6. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803. ***Moved From: Windows 10/Files, folders, &...
  7. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803....
  8. CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10: WITH WINDOWS 8 AND PRIOR VERSIONS I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED CREATING A DESKTOP SHORT CUT FOR EASY ACCESS. I AM SEEKING ADVICE ON HOW TO CREATE THESE IN WINDOWS 10. I AM ABLE TO DO THIS WITH SOME WEBSITES BUT NOT ALL. QUITE OFTEN I END UP WITH THE CHOICE OF SAVING AS A...
  9. Backup files that Windows creates with file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup files that Windows creates with file history: Does anyone know where I can see the created Backup files that Windows creates with the file history function?? I defined my file history to backup to NAS, but I can't find the files there and also found no function to see the used share in the settings... *Think 127246
  10. create shortcuts in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    create shortcuts in windows 10: I have a new harddrive and before could create shortcuts to save icons on desktop but this new hard drive will not let me do it and had windows 10 before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts-in-windows-10/9fc8aeae-3ece-406b-adcf-5ecbd3991e61"