Windows 10: Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10

Discus and support Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10 How to Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10 ** No longer valid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 25, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10

How to: Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10

How to Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10

** No longer valid since the HomeGroup feature has been removed from Windows 10**

Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10.

Before you can turn on and start using File History to back up your files, you need to first select where your backups are saved. You can select to save backups to an internal hard drive, externally connected drive (ex: USB drive), or you can save to a drive on a network.

If the drive selected as the backup location becomes unavailable, such as when a USB cable is disconnected or the network goes down for maintenance, File History will continue to do its job by saving the copies to a cache on the local drive. Once the backup location becomes available again, the cached contents are transferred to that location and removed from the local drive.

You can also recommend your selected File History drive for other members of your select and save their File History on as well.

This tutorial will show you how to recommend your File History drive to other homegroup members in Windows 10.

Warning Making new backups with File History is no longer supported starting with Windows 10 build 16215.

You can still restore files from an existing File History backup though.

File History will eventually be replaced by a new feature called Timeline.

Update: File History is back in Windows 10 build 16226.

EXAMPLE: Your recommended File History drive on other homegroup member's Windows 8 or Windows 10 PC

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the File History icon.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced settings link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Under the HomeGroup section, check or uncheck (default) the Recommend this drive box for what you want to do, and click/tap on Save changes to apply. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close the File History control panel if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 25, 2015
  2. GaryBetty Win User

How to reconnect file history drive? Windows 10

I cannot reconnect my file history file drive

GaryBetty, Oct 26, 2019
  3. How to reconnect file history drive? Windows 10

Hi Hite,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

This message occurs if your File History drive has been disconnected for long time.

In order to assist you better please confirm a few of things:

• When exactly do you get this popup?
    • What is the exact popup message are you getting?

I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article “Reconnect your File History drive” and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/reconnect-your-file-history-drive

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10

File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Oct 26, 2019
  5. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How to reconnect file history drive? Windows 10

I cannot reconnect my device, I got a notice to reconnect my device I don.t know how please help

marydonato, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10

1. Recommend File History Drive to Homegroup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Recommend File History

2. reconnect file history drive in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reconnect file history drive in windows 10: step by step instructions to reconnect file history drive in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reconnect-file-history-drive-in-windows-10/1167421c-24ef-48b6-82c6-aa61467639b8
  3. reconnect file history drive in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reconnect file history drive in windows 10: step by step instructions to reconnect file history drive in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reconnect-file-history-drive-in-windows-10/1167421c-24ef-48b6-82c6-aa61467639b8
  4. File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History drive: I keep getting reminders to reconnect my File History drive but I dont know how to do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/a235d77c-2a4a-44ab-a636-059ad866d9d1
  5. Recommended backup plan, use google drive for file history?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recommended backup plan, use google drive for file history?: Hi, I'm getting ready for an online/remote job and finally trying to set up an easy and complete back-up process on/for my Windows 10 version 1909 laptop. I have an external hard drive and a google drive account. I'm thinking to use Google Drive for File History - is that...
  6. File history in Windows 10 on C drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    File history in Windows 10 on C drive: As we know that we need to hook up an external drive to use file history, but I am wondering if we can configure file history on the same hard drive or different partition on the same physical drive....
  7. File history drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history drive: I try to do a back-up but keep getting "reconnect file history drive". I use a 64G memory stick but nothing works. HELP?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/34bd6a18-5ded-4c05-81c3-6c41f0b751a4
  8. file history drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file history drive: can anyone help me to rehook up my file history drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/52df8658-6058-4a94-acf4-83ce852d6d00
  9. View Recommended Troubleshooting History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    View Recommended Troubleshooting History in Windows 10: How to: View Recommended Troubleshooting History in Windows 10 How to View Recommended Troubleshooting History in Windows 10 If something isn't working in Windows 10, running a troubleshooter might help. Troubleshooters can find and fix many common problems for you....
  10. Select Drive for File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Select Drive for File History in Windows 10: How to: Select Drive for File History in Windows 10 How to Select a File History Drive in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. Before you can turn on and start using File History to back up your files, you...