Windows 10: Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10

Discus and support Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10 How to Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by jimbo45, Mar 31, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10

How to: Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10

How to Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10

Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10.

You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select to save to. You can select to save backups to an internal hard drive, externally connected drive (ex: USB drive), or you can save to a drive on a network. You can add, remove, and exclude folders to be backed up by File History.

The default folders in your "C:\Users\(user name)" profile folder are added by default to be backed up by File History.

Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files.

This tutorial will show you how to change how often you want to save copies of your files with File History for your account in Windows 10.

Warning Making new backups with File History is no longer supported starting with Windows 10 build 16215.

You can still restore files from an existing File History backup though.

File History will eventually be replaced by a new feature called Timeline.

Update: File History is back in Windows 10 build 16226.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change how Often to Save File History in Settings
    • Option Two: To Change how Often to Save File History in Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change how Often to Save File History in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the More options on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Choose how often you want to save copies of your files in the Back up my files drop menu at the top. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change how Often to Save File History in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the File History icon.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced settings link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Choose how often you want to save copies of your files in the Save copies of files drop menu. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close the File History control panel if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

jimbo45, Mar 31, 2017

2. File history saves only files when the size changes

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you have an issues with finding modification date for the files, I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

I would like to inform that, by default you will be able to see the created on, accessed and modified dates when you right click on the file and select properties.

Also, I suggest you to change the settings the File History and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key and type File History and select
      File History Settings.
    • Click on More option, See advanced settings, wait a while and click on
      Advanced settings.
    • Under Versions you will see the options:
    • Save copies of files
    • Keep saved versions
    Modify them according and check if it helps.

To know more about File Explorer in Windows 10 refer to: What's changed
    in File Explorer

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  3. File History saves and shows empty folders

Hi Jeffrey,

I recommend you to select a different File History drive and check if the issue persists.

Also I suggest you to Change how long File History keeps files.

Refer the below steps

1. Press Windows key + X from the Keyboard and click on Control panel.

2. Control panel Window will be open, change the View by: Category to Large icons to Small icons.

3. Click on File history and click on Advanced settings.

4. Next to Save copies of files, tap or click the list, and choose a time interval.

5. Next to Keep saved versions, tap or click the list, and choose a time interval.

6.Click on Save changes

Note:
    File History doesn't automatically delete versions of files older than the time interval you choose unless your drive is getting full and space is needed to back up more recent versions

Also, I suggest to Reconnect the drive and Reselect your File History drive

Refer the below link and check if helps

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...f3eda7c5b2b/reconnect-your-file-history-drive

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Ashwin V S, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10

File History defaults vs what I want to save

Hi Jim,

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the computer connected to a Domain network?
    • From when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to try the steps in the following article which will help you to fix common File History issues.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

(Applies to Windows 10)

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Backing up Windows 10. Error "File history drive cannot save copies of all my files because of limitations with my File History drives file system"

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the below:

• Did you make any hardware or software changes prior to this issue?

• What is the anti-virus program installed on your computer?

• Please provide us a screenshot which shows the error message.
    I suggest you to stop File History service, restart the computer and then set it as Automatic from the services and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Steps:-

1. Press Windows key + R and openRun command window.

2. Type services.msc and hit
    Enter.

3. Right click on File History from the list.

4. Select Stop. Restart the computer and repeat the first three steps.

5. Click on Properties and set the set
    Startup type to Automatic.

6. Click on Apply and
    Ok.

Also, I suggest you to try the below steps and configure the drive on File History and check if it helps.

Steps:-

1. Type File History in the search box, and then tap or click
    File History.

2. Tap or click Select drive.

3. On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
    OK.

Refer the steps given in the below articles and check if it helps:

File History in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17128/windows-8-file-history

Note: This also applies to Windows 10

Backup and restore your files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17143/windows-10-back-up-your-files

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10

1. Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Often Save

2. Save File History on All Changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Save File History on All Changes: Is there a way to configure File History, or an alternate tool to log all changes in my files so I can roll back to any point? I'm sure we had this in an old version of Windows, but I can't find it now.Thanks...
  3. Save File History on All Changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save File History on All Changes: Is there a way to configure File History, or an alternate tool to log all changes in my files so I can roll back to any point? I'm sure we had this in an old version of Windows, but I can't find it now.Thanks...
  4. How to stop Win 10 File History constantly changing the window to File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to stop Win 10 File History constantly changing the window to File Explorer?: I'm using Win 10 Backup File History with the default setttings from Setting > Backup to copy my hard disk. Unfortuately it keeps beeping and changing the active window to File Explorer. Can I stop this and how please?Many thanks...
  5. Windows 10 files and changes not being saved

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 files and changes not being saved: Hello! I have been facing an issue with my laptop lately, Whenever I download something or save anything, it doesn't save after I restart my laptop. For instance, If i create a notepad file and then immediately restart my laptop, it will be gone. The weird part is, it...
  6. "File history" no longer saves anything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "File history" no longer saves anything: the backup log indicates this error message : Unable to analyze changes to user libraries and save modified files for configuration C: \\ Users \\ Jean Michel \\ AppData \\ Local \\ Microsoft \\ Windows \\ FileHistory \\ Configuration \\ Config. [ATTACH]...
  7. Changing drive location of a file and how it is saved in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing drive location of a file and how it is saved in Windows 10: My SSD in WIndows 10 is consstantly popping up as full, despite my having already changed the location for new files to my HHD. I have found that the culprit eating up all oh the memory in my SSD is the Roaming file in AppData. I am pretty positive it is my Adobe editing...
  8. Windows 10: How to change where certain files are saved?

Windows 10: How to change where certain files are saved?: I did a full restart of my laptop a while ago and so everything was reverted back to factory settings, I guess. But for some reason, when I save things like .rar files, it saves them in a weird location (This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Users > Me > AppData > Local > Temp). I want...
  9. History of the location of transferred or saved file

History of the location of transferred or saved file: How or where can I find the logs or history of the location of the files. What I want is something like this: Copied From: C:\Users\lj\Desktop\letter.doc To: D:\Files\letter.doc Not necessary that it would look like that, as long as it shows a history or show the...
  10. Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10: How to: Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10 How to Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically...