Windows 10: Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

Discus and support Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 How to Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

How to: Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

How to Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10.

You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select to save to. You can select to save backups to an internal hard drive, externally connected drive (ex: USB drive), or you can save to a drive on a network. You can add, remove, and exclude folders to be backed up by File History.

Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove folders to be excluded from being backed up by File History for your account in Windows 10.

Warning Making new backups with File History is no longer supported starting with Windows 10 build 16215.

You can still restore files from an existing File History backup though.

File History will eventually be replaced by a new feature called Timeline.

Update: File History is back in Windows 10 build 16226.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add Folders to be Excluded by File History in Settings
    • Option Two: To Remove Folders from being Excluded by File History in Settings
    • Option Three: To Add Folders to be Excluded by File History in Control Panel
    • Option Four: To Remove Folders from being Excluded by File History in Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add Folders to be Excluded by File History in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the More options on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Scroll down to the Exclude these folders section, and click/tap on Add a folder. (see screenshot below)

4. Browse to and select a drive, folder, or library you want to exclude, and click/tap on Choose this folder. (see screenshot below)

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 above if you want to exclude any other folders.

6. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.(see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Remove Folders from being Excluded by File History in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the More options link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Scroll down to the Exclude these folders section, and click/tap on an excluded folder you no longer want to be excluded. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Remove. (see screenshot below)

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 above if you want to remove any other folders from being excluded.

6. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Add Folders to be Excluded by File History in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the File History icon.

2. Click/tap on the Exclude folders link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Add button. (see screenshot below)

4. Browse to and select a drive, folder, or library you want to exclude, and click/tap on Select folder. (see screenshot below)

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 above if you want to exclude any other folders.

6. When finished, click/tap on Save changes to apply. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now close the File History Control Panel if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Remove Folders from being Excluded by File History in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the File History icon.

2. Click/tap on the Exclude folders link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Select an excluded folder you no longer want to be excluded, and click/tap on Remove. (see screenshot below)

4. Repeat step 3 above if you want to remove any other folders from being excluded.

5. When finished, click/tap on Save changes to apply. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close the File History Control Panel if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 29, 2015

2. File History won't exclude folders

I just tried to exclude C:\Users\Donny\Downloads using the legacy control panel File History interface. When I clicked "Select Folder" the folder was added to the excluded folders list. When I clicked "Save changes" and went back into the excluded folders
    list, C:\Users\Donny\Downloads was not listed at all.

So certainly not fixed for me.

Donny Murgatroyd, Oct 26, 2019
  3. neuroking Win User
    File History won't exclude folders

The 'remove this drive' technique appeared to work, but when I checked the drive, the folders were still being backed up. Opened the modern file history settings and the folders were still removed from the backup list. I tried to add them manually to the
    excluded folders list and they disappeared like before. After a reboot, and I think opening the 'classic' file history control panel without making changes, the removed folders were back on the list and could not be removed.

I also did the same steps above, but manually deleted the backed up folders from the drive after removing them. Still no dice.

Everything is back to where it was before. Somehow I got a folder to stay in the classic and modern control panel exclude lists, but I can't add any more. One thing to note, the exclude list, I think, must contain folders within the backed up folder list.
    I know it makes no sense to exclude a folder that isn't backed up anyway (i.e.-not a subfolder of a backed up folder), but it seems a likely place for some weird settings reset bug to occur.

My guess is that there is some interaction between the modern and classic control panels that causes them to reset these lists, compounded by the added functionality of selecting the folders in the modern settings. Something along the lines of the File History
    engine checks the classic control panel for exclusions, then checks the modern settings for inclusions, finds a conflict, and reverts to the previous folder lists. Some type of weird tug-o-war over settings, and the underlying triggers are automatically called
    from both sides in non-intuitive (to users) ways.

My solution was to ditch FH altogether and switch over to SynBackSE for versioning. Not a solution for everyone, I know, but there is something fundamentally messed up with FH, and I'd rather not gamble with my thesis backups.

neuroking, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

"Exclude from File History" does not exclude folder

As I reported in a previous post, File History in Windows 10 keeps filling up my backup drive:

"File History" saves multiple copies of MP3 files (until all available
    space on disk is consumed)

To avoid the issue, this morning I purged the music files from the backup drive and then added the folder to the list of excluded folders and libraries as shown below:

Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 f1cb3b66-cc08-4036-a91b-36a94c5873db.png

Next, I clicked the Run now link in File History and waited for it to finish, only to discover that it is still copying files from the excluded folder, as you can see in the screenshots below -- which simply show the disk usage on the backup
    drive File History is configured to use (the second screenshot is a "drilldown" on the ~30 GB
    E folder shown in the first screenshot):

Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 819f2799-d788-4164-9676-43986c0f4002.png

Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 dd88ff63-9acc-4abf-82a6-4bdbee3531dc.png

Even though I excluded the folder, File History still copied the 30 GB of music to the backup drive.

This appears to be a bug in Windows 8 as well:

File history refuses to exclude a library I selected to exclude.

File History seems fundamentally broken in more ways than one. Or am I just missing something?

Jeremy Jameson, Oct 26, 2019
  5. quuuux Win User
    File History won't exclude folders

Hello,

I see the exact same behavior on my fresh Windows 10 installation.

Excluding folders does not work... it does not matter whether I try to exclude the folder in the modern file history settings dialog or the extended classic Windows dialog. In both dialogs I can select the folder to be excluded but after returning to the
    overview, no folder has been added to the list of excluded folders.

In addition there seems to be an inconsistency between the modern and the classic dialog. In the modern dialog, the folders to be backed up can selected by the user. I wasn't able to find the corresponding functionality in the classic dialog.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

quuuux, Oct 26, 2019
  6. File History won't exclude folders

I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:

Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off

Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive

Delete the File History folder in your external drive.

Start using File History again.

After these steps, I can add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive".

Hope this can help you.

Vincenzo Carbone, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

1. Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Exclude Folders File

2. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  3. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  4. Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History: I've been using File History & generally like the way it works. However, if I open a Word file, e.g. Utilities.doc, Word also creates a temporary file, ~$ilities.doc. If I have it open for awhile, File History may back up this file also. Over time, I've found various files...
  5. Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive: Hello anyone, When I activated File History I left the Videos folder, which contains my movies and series, in theBack up these folders list. That filled up my 1 TB backup drive quickly, so I removed that folder from the list. Now how do I remove excluded folders from my...
  6. Exclude Folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exclude Folder.: Hey guys, I have a folder in my Windoes 10 Explorer that I want to exclude from media scanning, so it won't appear in anywhere except Explorer. Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of .NOMEDIA folder like the one in Android. Thank you very much....
  7. Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded: Hello, My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list. The issue...
  8. Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders.: Hi, Today I tried to exclude files and folders in Windows Defender. Although I managed to select a file nothing was shown in the exclude window. I tried different files and folders on other drives but nothing was actually selected by Defender. Is this a bug? OS:...
  9. file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10: Directories are added spontaneously to the include and exclude list. Some of these directories existed in the past but no longer exist. Adding some entries generates additional entries while adding others has no effect (that is, the directory is not added)....
  10. Restore Files or Folders from File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Files or Folders from File History in Windows 10: How to: Restore Files or Folders from File History in Windows 10 How to Restore Files or Folders from File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History (if...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file history exclude everything except desktop