Windows 10: Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10 Displays (especially on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10

Displays (especially on laptops and tablets) may utilize ambient light sensors to detect surrounding levels of light.

The adaptive brightness feature in Windows monitors ambient light sensors to detect changes in ambient light and automatically adjust the display brightness as needed to match surrounding lighting conditions.

While adaptive brightness is useful to help save battery life, it may at times cause your display brightness level to be too dark.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to enable or disable adaptive brightness in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Power Options
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness for Current Power Plan in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: To Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness for Specific Power Plan in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Power Options

*note This option will affect all users that use the same power plan you set this for.
    1. Open the advanced Power Options for your power plan.

2. In your current active power plan's (ex: High Performance) advanced settings, expand open Display and Enable adaptive brightness. (see screenshot below step 3)

3. Turn on or off Enable adaptive brightness for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness for Current Power Plan in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (Enable - On battery)
    Code:
    OR

(Enable - Plugged in)
    Code:
    OR

(Disable - On battery)
    Code:
    OR

(Disable - Plugged in)
    Code:
    3. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to apply the change. You can now close the command prompt if you like.
    *Arrow powercfg -SetActive SCHEME_CURRENT

OPTION THREE [/i] To Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness for Specific Power Plan in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. Make note of the GUID number (ex: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c) of the power plan you want to apply this to. (see screenshot below)

*note The power plan (ex: High performance) with a * to the right of it is your current active power plan scheme.
    *Arrow powercfg /L

3. Enter the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (On battery)
    Code:
    OR

(Plugged in)
    Code:
    Note Substitute GUID in the command above with the actual GUID from step 2 above for the power plan you want to apply this to.

Substitute Index in the command above with the number below for the default action you want set for adaptive brightness.

[table][tr][td]Index Number[/td] [td]Action[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]0[/td] [td]Disable[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]Enable[/td] [/tr] [/table]

For example: Set to "Enable" for the High performance power plan GUID (8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c)

Code:

4. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to apply the change. You can now close the command prompt if you like. (see screenshot below)

*note This command will set the power plan for the GUID as your restart the computer to apply the changes instead of doing this step.
    *Arrow powercfg -SetActive GUID

*note Substitute GUID in the command above with the same GUID from step 2 above for the power plan you want to apply this to.

For example: powercfg -SetActive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel

*note If you have Intel graphics, then what you have set in the Intel HD Graphics and Media Control Panel may override what you have set in Windows Power Options.

If you do not have Intel graphics, then this option does not apply to you.
    1. Right click or press and hold on your desktop, and click/tap on Intel Graphics Settings to open the Intel HD Graphics and Media Control Panel.

2. Click/tap on the Power icon. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (enable) or step 5 (disable) below for what you want.

4. To Enable Adaptive Brightness in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel
    A) Select On Battery or Plugged in, and select the plan (ex: "Balanced Mode") for what you want to apply this to. (see screenshot below)

B) Select (check) Enable under Display Power Saving Technology, and adjust the slider to the level you want.

C) Click/tap on Apply, and go to step 6 below.

5. To Disable Adaptive Brightness in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel
    A) Select On Battery or Plugged in, and select the plan (ex: "Balanced Mode") for what you want to apply this to. (see screenshot below)

B) Select (check) Disable under Display Power Saving Technology, and click/tap on Apply, and go to step 6 below.

6. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

*note Your changes will automatically be reverted in 15 seconds if you do not click/tap on Yes to confirm.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 29, 2017

2. How to disable adaptive brightness by default

Hi Mohsin,

If you're having issue with disabling the adaptive brightness, we suggest checking this
    thread and follow the troubleshooting steps provided by Sagnik_Chakraborty
    to troubleshoot the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Reymichael Ros, Oct 26, 2019
  3. How to disable adaptive brightness by default

I followed the steps listed in the linked thread, and still no change. I don't believe that the linked thread is dealing with the same issues that I am dealing with.

Furthermore, I do not understand why I would ever need to change registry settings, or restore default power settings. To be clear, this isn't a bug that is causing my brightness to be lower than it should, this is obviously an intended feature of
    Windows to enable adaptive brightness so that the screen adapts in differently lit environments.
    Either I'm wrong, and this isn't an intended feature (in which case, why is it there at all), or I'm right and this is an intended feature, and my point
    still stands: Why can't I disable adaptive brightness and leave it disabled permanently?

I'm quite disappointed that something as crucial as the brightness of one's screen is not implemented correctly. This should be fixed ASAP.

As for this thread and my concerns, I would still like to see if there is a solution that can be provided. Thank you.

Mohsin Ismail, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10

Adaptive brightness automatically enables

Thanks for your reply but I already have stated that "One thing that I noticed is that after every startup adaptive brightness settings automatically enables (I tried to change it through advanced
    power option and also from services using services.msc in the run)".

Kindly let me know why it automatically enables after every reboot and how to resolve this issue.

AbdullahIrfan, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Wise Move Win User
    How to Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10

Hi,

There many articles on "How to Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10"

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Display ->
    Enable adaptive brightness.

But my Windows 10 doesn't have an option "Enable adaptive brightness".

Screenshot attached.

Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10 0813411c-198d-4c28-be1c-0abb429cdcbb?upload=true.png

Wise Move, Oct 26, 2019
  6. xkm1948 Win User
    PSA Windows 10 + Adaptive Voltage/Offset voltage and you

I have speed step and all the other power saving option enabled.

So now after setting the system power profile, disable fast boot in uefi, disable hybrid sleep in windows 10 my system has been BSOD free.

xkm1948, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Adaptive

2. Disable Adaptive Brightness

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disable Adaptive Brightness: Machine: Lenovo P52OS: Windows10 Pro, 64-bitCPU+GPU: i7 8850H + integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630GPU 2: Nvidia Quadro P2000I cannot disable adaptive brightness. This is an ongoing issue that has been reported several times. I have tried numerous solutions but nothing seems to...
  3. Disable Adaptive Brightness

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Adaptive Brightness: Machine: Lenovo P52. OS: Windows10 Pro, 64-bit. CPU+GPU: i7 8850H + integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630.GPU 2: Nvidia Quadro P2000I cannot disable adaptive brightness. This is an ongoing issue that has been reported several times. I have tried numerous solutions but nothing...
  4. Disable Adaptive Brightness

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Adaptive Brightness: Machine: Lenovo P52. OS: Windows10 Pro, 64-bit. CPU+GPU: i7 8850H + integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630.GPU 2: Nvidia Quadro P2000I cannot disable adaptive brightness. This is an ongoing issue that has been reported several times. I have tried numerous solutions but nothing...
  5. Disable adaptive brightness Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable adaptive brightness Windows 10: My laptop display dims when viewing something dark, for instance Spotify. When I alt-tab back to my browser displaying a white web page it will brighten again. This makes no sense to me and I'd like to disable it. I've had the issue on three different laptops so far.Under...
  6. Disable adaptive brightness Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable adaptive brightness Windows 10: My laptop display dims when viewing something dark, for instance Spotify. When I alt-tab back to my browser displaying a white web page it will brighten again. This makes no sense to me and I'd like to disable it. I've had the issue on three different laptops so far.Under...
  7. Disable adaptive brightness Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Disable Adaptive Brightness

Disable Adaptive Brightness: How do I disable adaptive brightness on my machine? I've googled this and none of the solutions seem to work, I amn not talking about night light settings, I am talking about the fact that my screen continuously dims and brightens based on the relative brightness of the page...
  9. Enable adaptive brightness

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enable adaptive brightness: Hi! I want to stop disable adaptive brightness but I can't find the option on Windows. I went to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Edit Plan Settings>Advanced Settings> Display and it only appears Turn off display after, there is no enable adaptive brightness....
  10. How to Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10: How to Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-or-disable-adaptive-brightness-in/fc99b1e4-5756-406d-b89f-221f06143b01