Windows 10: Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 Microsoft uses... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by 2JJ1, Aug 12, 2015.

1. 2JJ1 Win User

Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10

Microsoft uses Windows diagnostic data to focus their decisions and efforts to provide you with the most robust and valuable platform possible. By participating in the diagnostic data programs, you have a voice in the operating systems development, improving the overall product experience and quality through your insights.

Starting with delete the Windows Diagnostic Data that Microsoft has collected from your device.

Starting with Windows 10 version 1809, you can use a new group policy to control whether the Delete diagnostic data button is enabled in Diagnostic & Feedback Settings page.

If you enable this policy setting, the Delete diagnostic data button will be disabled in Settings page, preventing the deletion of diagnostic data collected by Microsoft from the device.

If you disable or don't configure this policy setting, the Delete diagnostic data button will be enabled in Settings page, which allows people to erase all diagnostic data collected by Microsoft from that device.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to delete diagnostic data for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable delete diagnostic data.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Delete button for diagnostic data disabled in Settings

Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Data Collection and Preview Builds

3. In the right pane of Data Collection and Preview Builds in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Disable deleting diagnostic data policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Delete Diagnostic Data
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Delete Diagnostic Data
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection

DisableDeviceDelete DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Delete Diagnostic Data
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Delete_diagnostic_data.reg

Download

3. To Disable Delete Diagnostic Data
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Delete_diagnostic_data.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, OK (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10

Tutorial updated to add Option 3 and 4 to enable/disable Diagnostic Data Viewer using group policy. *Smile

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Privacy tweaks...

• Turn Cortana Off. Bring up the Start menu and start typing. Click on the notebook icon in the left sidebar and choose Settings. From there, you can turn off Cortana.
    • Search online and include web results. When you turn off Cortana, you’ll see this option appear. You can turn it off if you’d rather not get web search suggestions from the Start menu, which log your typing and send it back to Microsoft so you can get live-updating predictions, just like you do on Google.com or in Chrome and Firefox.
    • Getting to Know You. In Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, & Typing, you’ll find a feature called “Getting to Know You”. This is probably the most sweeping privacy setting on the system, and even after turning off Cortana, you’ll have to disable this setting. Just click the “Stop Getting to Know Me” button to turn it off.
    • Cloud Info. Turning off Getting to Know You removes info from your device, but you’ll have to remove it from the cloud separately. In that same window, click “Go to Bing and manage personal info for all your devices” to clear the Getting to Know You Data from your Microsoft account.

• If you head to Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostics, you’ll see two settings:
    • Feedback frequency: Windows will occasionally ask you for feedback so you can send Microsoft your thoughts on Windows 10. If you’d rather it not bug you with such things, you can change it to Never.
    • Diagnostic and usage data: This feature can send a lot of data back to Microsoft, including how often you use certain apps, which apps you use most often, and memory snapshots (which can inadvertently include parts of a document you’re working on if something crashes). You can change this to Full, Enhanced, or Basic. You can read more about what each of these to here.
    Microsoft doesn’t let you turn off diagnostics completely, except on Enterprise versions of Windows. The Basic setting, they say, is data that is “vital to the operation of Windows”, including Windows Update and malicious software protection.

some may be duplicated. I found this info on Lifehacker, if anyone wants the full article.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  4. FrankS Win User

Diagnostic Data Viewer needs...

Yes I ran it thus: Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10
    But since I posted I've realised that it wouldn't be of help anyway.
    My problem, which I've been attempting to resolve, is that my PC will not update from version 1809 to version 1903.
    The last attempt using Windows 10 update Assistant fails with the error: 0xc1420121
    Having tried various methods to fix it I finally discovered that my PC is 'to old'. There's a Microsoft list somewhere that lists PCs that have been successfully tested & my model is not among them.
    I guess I'm not surprised since it is rather long in the tooth but what's irritating is that it runs extremely well. I spent the last couple of weeks editing videos & creating soundtracks. OK, it's a little slow but it works fine & I'm not in a great hurry.
    So, eventually I'll need a new PC since MS will stop supporting version 1809 shortly.
    From what I've read, version 1903 is no great shakes anyway, I guess it's mainly security issues that are of concern but Hey Ho, I can't afford to buy a new PC so I'll just stick with what I've got.
    Thanks for replying.

FrankS, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Microsoft to Introduce Telemetry Data Viewer for Windows

Remember all that talk and noise regarding Microsoft's "automagical" telemetry data collection, and how that spurred the company to create a "telemetry-less" version of its Windows 10 operating system for the Chinese market? It seems Microsoft is keen to keep giving users more information on exactly what information is gathered and when - slowly but assuredly striving for greater transparency, and looking to garner increased trust from consumers and enterprises alike.

The much awaited capability is being baked in to the next major Windows 10 release, and Microsoft is giving Windows Insiders an early preview of the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer utility. Adding to this new utility are some changes to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard that will enable users to see and manage more data associated with their Microsoft accounts. Available to everyone in the Microsoft Store, the Diagnostic Data Viewer is separate from the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard, and "allows you to see, search, and take action with your diagnostic data." It's not clear yet what sort of telemetry features users will be able to stop Microsoft from collecting, if any. However, at least now you'll be able to look at exactly which processes and services are collecting data form your system. The diagnostic data that will be viewable in the new utility follows.

Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 yDvisPRlBWJ8AKA6_thm.jpg

• Common Data, like the Operating System's name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and so on.
    • Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties and capabilities, preferences and settings, peripherals, and device network information.
    • Product and Service Performance data that show device health, performance and reliability data, movie consumption functionality on the device and device file queries. It's important to note that this functionality is not intended to capture user viewing or, listening habits.
    • Product and Service Usage data includes details about the usage of the device, operating system, applications, and services.
    • Software Setup and Inventory such as installed applications and install history, device update information.
    Microsoft Privacy Dashboard
    Updates to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard include a new Activity History page, which aims to provide a clear and easy to navigate way to see the data that is saved with users' Microsoft accounts. The Microsoft Privacy Dashboard further allows users to manage their data and change what data is collected by adjusting the privacy settings on their devices or browser at any time.

In the coming months, Microsoft will keep the slow roll-out of additional features that will allow users to:
    • View and manage media consumption data, as well as product and service activity on the Activity History page
    • Export for any of the data you see on the dashboard
    • Delete specific items to allow for greater individual control

Raevenlord, Oct 27, 2019
  6. dalchina Win User
    Diagnostic Data Viewer needs...

Hi, did you install it thus?
    Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10

- and if not, now did you do that?

Have you ever run it successfully? Or have you only just installed it?

Noted you have Home. Some Home users attempt to add Group Policy - if you did and tried to use that, the outcome is uncertain.

That service is regarded by some as so-called 'spying' by MS.
    Have you run some utility to disable telemetry?

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Delete

2. Diagnostics and data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Diagnostics and data: Why are my settings for Diagnostics and Data greyed out. I am the only person using this computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostics-and-data/3062f3a9-5fca-4633-a43b-ee79ca9bff14
  3. Diagnostics and data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Diagnostics and data: Why are my settings for Diagnostics and Data greyed out. I am the only person using this computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostics-and-data/3062f3a9-5fca-4633-a43b-ee79ca9bff14
  4. How to disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 11: [ATTACH]In this post, we will help you disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 11. Users of the Windows 11/10 operating system can easily enable and use Diagnostic Data Viewer that helps to view the information (or diagnostic data) sent to Microsoft from the user system. If...
  5. Diagnostics data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Diagnostics data: Hello!I bought my pc 8 months agoits not school computer,and I can't put this to send full diagnostics data,is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostics-data/aefb85d2-03f5-4443-9a3d-986b0f1da574
  6. Diagnostics data

in Windows 10 Customization
    Diagnostics data: Hello!I bought my pc 8 months agoits not school computer,and I can't put this to send full diagnostics data,is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostics-data/aefb85d2-03f5-4443-9a3d-986b0f1da574
  7. Diagnostic Data displays Optional as disabled.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Diagnostic Data displays Optional as disabled.: Hello Team,I am looking out to enable the option for Diagnostic Data = "Optional". Noticed it being disabled I would need pointers which would help me in enabling the option for selection.Thanks & Regards!...
  8. Diagnostic data

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Diagnostic data: How long Microsoft retain its collected customer diagnostic data ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostic-data/e431ffc5-1b83-48ca-b775-864d097677d5
  9. Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10: How to: Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 How to Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 Microsoft uses Windows diagnostic data to focus their decisions and efforts to provide you with the most robust and valuable platform possible. By participating in the diagnostic...
  10. Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10 Microsoft uses Windows diagnostic data to focus their decisions and efforts to provide you with the most robust and valuable platform possible....