Windows 10: Change Diagnostic and Usage Data Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Diagnostic and Usage Data Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Diagnostic Data Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Diagnostic Data Settings in Windows 10 As you use Windows, we collect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by nohelpno1, Nov 26, 2016.

1. nohelpno1 Win User

Change Diagnostic and Usage Data Settings in Windows 10

How to: Change Diagnostic Data Settings in Windows 10

How to Change Diagnostic Data Settings in Windows 10

As you use Windows, we collect diagnostic information, and to make sure we're listening to you, our customer, we've also built ways for you to send us feedback anytime, and at specific times, like when Windows 10 asks you a question about how something is working for you.

There are two levels of diagnostic data: Basic and Full. Microsoft uses diagnostic data to keep Windows secure and up to date, troubleshoot problems, and make product improvements as described in more detail below. Regardless of your selection, your device will be just as secure and will operate normally. This data is transmitted to Microsoft and stored with one or more unique identifiers that can help us recognize an individual user on an individual device and understand the device's service issues and use patterns.
    • Basic diagnostic data is information about your device, its settings and capabilities, and whether it is performing properly. This is the minimum level of diagnostic data needed to help keep your device reliable, secure, and operating normally.
    • Full diagnostic data includes all data collected with Basic, along with information about the websites you browse, how you use apps and features, plus additional information about device health, device activity (sometimes referred to as usage), and enhanced error reporting. At Full, Microsoft also collects the memory state of your device when a system or app crash occurs (which may unintentionally include parts of a file you were using when a problem occurred). While your device will be just as secure and operate normally if you choose the Basic level of diagnostics, the additional information we collect at Full makes it easier for us to identify and fix issues and make product improvements that benefit all Windows customers.
    See also:
    Starting with Let Microsoft provide more tailored experiences with relevant tips and recommendations by using your diagnostic data" has been added.

Starting with standard user can now make changes to the Diagnostic Data levels. When an administrator sets the Diagnostic Data level, a user can choose to update the Diagnostic Data setting . This control also provides notifications when these settings have been changed by another user or an administrator.

Starting with delete the Windows Diagnostic Data that Microsoft has collected from your device.

This tutorial will show you how to choose how much diagnostic data your want to send to Microsoft about your Windows 10 device.

You must be signed in as an administrator to change diagnostic data settings.

Contents
    • Option One: To Change Diagnostic Data Collection Settings during Windows Setup
    • Option Two: To Change Diagnostic Data Collection Settings in Settings
    • Option Three: To Change Diagnostic Data Collection Settings using a REG file
    • Option Four: To Force Diagnostic Data Collection Setting in Group Policy
    • Option Five: To Force Diagnostic Data Collection Setting using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Diagnostic Data Collection Settings during Windows Setup
    1 When you get to Choose privacy settings for your device during Windows Setup while doing a clean install of Windows 10, you can select Basic or Full for the Diagnostics data privacy setting. (see screenshots below)

Change Diagnostic and Usage Data Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Diagnostic Data Collection Settings in Settings
    Option Four and Option Five will override this option.

1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

2 Click/tap on Feedback & diagnostics on the left side, then select Basic or Full for the Diagnostic and usage data you want to send on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Full is the default setting.

If you set to receive Option Three, Option Four, or Option Five below instead.

3 When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Diagnostic Data Collection Settings using a REG file
    Option Four and Option Five will override this option.

This option sets the same setting in Option Two, but via Registry Editor instead.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection

AllowTelemetry DWORD

0 = Security (Enterprise and Education editions only)
    1 = Basic
    2 = Enhanced
    3 = Full (Recommended)

1 Do step 2 (Security), step 3 (Basic), step 4 (Enhanced), or step 5 (Full) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Send "Security" Diagnostic and Usage Data
    Setting to "Security" applies to enterprise, EDU, IoT and server devices only. Setting this on other devices is equivalent to choosing "Basic".

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Security_diagnostic_and_usage_data.reg

Download

3. To Send "Basic" Diagnostic and Usage Data
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Basic_diagnostic_and_usage_data.reg

Download

4. To Send "Enhanced" Diagnostic and Usage Data

Enhanced_diagnostic_and_usage_data.reg

Download

5. To Send "Full" Diagnostic and Usage Data
    This is the default setting.

Full_diagnostic_and_usage_data.reg

Download
    6 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Force Diagnostic Data Collection Setting in Group Policy
    The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

1 Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2 In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Data Collection and Preview Builds

3 In the right pane of Data Collection and Preview Builds in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow Telemetry policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4 Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (force) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Restore Default Diagnostic and Usage Data Collection Setting
    This step will allow you to use Option Two and Option Three above.

A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

Not Configured[/I]
    is the default setting.

6. To Force a Diagnostic and Usage Data Collection Setting
    This step will override and prevent you from using Option Two and Option Three above.

A) Select (dot) Enabled, select the Security (Enterprise Only), Basic, Enhanced, or Full value under Options you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7 When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FIVE
    To Force Diagnostic Data Collection Setting using a REG file
    This option sets the same setting in Option Four, but via Registry Editor instead.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection

AllowTelemetry DWORD

(delete) = Default. Allows you to use Option Two and Option Three above.
    0 = Security (Enterprise and Education editions only)
    1 = Basic
    2 = Enhanced
    3 = Full

1 Do step 2 (Security), step 3 (Basic), step 4 (Enhanced), step 5 (Full), or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Force Send "Security" Diagnostic and Usage Data
    Setting to "Security" applies to enterprise, EDU, IoT and server devices only. Setting this on other devices is equivalent to choosing "Basic".

This step will override and prevent you from using Option Two and Option Three above.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

Force_Security_diagnostic_and_usage_data.reg

Download

3. To Force Send "Basic" Diagnostic and Usage Data

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

Force_Basic_diagnostic_and_usage_data.reg

Download

4. To Force Send "Enhanced" Diagnostic and Usage Data

Force_Enhanced_diagnostic_and_usage_data.reg

Download

5. To Force Send "Full" Diagnostic and Usage Data

Force_Full_diagnostic_and_usage_data.reg

Download

6. To Restore Default Not Configured Diagnostic and Usage Data Setting
    This setting allows you to use Option Two and Option Three above.

Default_Not_Configured_diagnostic_and_usage_data.reg

Download

7 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

8 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

9 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

10 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

nohelpno1, Nov 26, 2016
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 26, 2016
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Can't use windows spotlight on lockscreen

Hi,

Kindly check if you can change the Diagnostic and usage data
    to Full (Recommended). The Diagnostic and usage data
    may be set to Basic that is why you're seeing the "Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization" message. To do this follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Click Privacy.
    • Select Feedback & diagnostics.
    • Under Diagnostic and usage data, click the drop-down menu, and then choose
      Full (Recommended).
    If you're able to change it, restart the computer and check if your concern will still occur.

Let us know if you're able to change the settings of Diagnostic and usage data.

Argel Obm, Nov 26, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Nov 26, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello ameeralhindi, *Smile

Setting a value of 0 for "Security" applies to enterprise, EDU, IoT and server devices only. Setting a value of 0 for other devices is equivalent to choosing a value of 1.

Brink, Jan 5, 2017
  6. Oh thanks man i just wonder if it's possible to completely disable it now.

ameeralhindi, Jan 8, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I don't think you can fully disable it in Windows 10 Home or Pro editions. Setting it to basic is about it.

You could try disabling the two services below and restart the computer to stop this, but it could cause unknown issues.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Diagnostics Tracking Service

Connected User Experiences and Telemetry

Brink, Jan 8, 2017
  8. Change Diagnostic and Usage Data Settings in Windows 10

I already disabled them, Thanks sir. *Smile

ameeralhindi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Diagnostic and Usage Data Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Diagnostic Usage

2. Diagnostics and data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Diagnostics and data: Why are my settings for Diagnostics and Data greyed out. I am the only person using this computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostics-and-data/3062f3a9-5fca-4633-a43b-ee79ca9bff14
  3. optional diagnostic data unable to be changed

in Windows 10 Customization
    optional diagnostic data unable to be changed: I was trying to sign up for the windows insider programme, it asked me to turn diagnostic data from required to optional. It allows me to change it, but as soon as I exit the page the setting will go back to requiredis this a oversight on my end?thanks in advance...
  4. Problems changing the diagnostic data option

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problems changing the diagnostic data option: I'm interested in trialing the Windows 11 build however to do that I need to turn on "Optional diagnostic data". When I turn this on and go to any other part of settings or close settings it disables this and goes back to the "Required diagnostic data" option. I've looked to...
  5. Can't change value for Diagnostic and usage data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't change value for Diagnostic and usage data: Hi! I discovered I'm not picking up Microsoft Reward Points since my Privacy settings were incorrect. I went to 'Diagnostic and usage data' and found it was set to 'Basic'. Unfortunately, the field is greyed out, and I am unable to change it to another option. Does anyone...
  6. I don't see the option to change "diagnostic and usage data"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I don't see the option to change "diagnostic and usage data": I wanted to join Windows Insider, but it said I need to set diagnostic data settings and I don't see it anywhere. I saw a post that said I should change "AllowTelemetry" setting in Registry Editor to 3 and startup service called "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry", but...
  7. Unable to change 'Diagnostic Data' value under 'Diagnostics and Feedback' in Privacy settings.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to change 'Diagnostic Data' value under 'Diagnostics and Feedback' in Privacy settings.: I recently tried to apply for the Windows Insider program to get preview builds. The settings app then prompted me to set the Diagnostic Data option to 'Full' in order to receive preview builds. When I go to the Diagnostic Data tab, the options to change the value to either...
  8. Data usage settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data usage settings: Hi, in Setting on Network & Internet I am using Data usage. In Edit limit is has the option of Limit time button Monthly. Then Monthly reset date. I entered 1 from the drop down box and clicked Save. Upon returning to page I note that the reset date displays reset date as...
  9. Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10: Microsoft released a new build to the Windows 10 Insider channel recently which brings the build number to 19577. The accompanying blog post highlights the changes in that version and the very first entry reveals that Microsoft will change diagnostic data naming in future...
  10. How to change diagnostic data to basic?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change diagnostic data to basic?: Privacy -> Diagnostics & Feedback -> Diagnostic Data I am presented with two options, "Basic" and "Full" and neither are greyed out. The default is "Full" but I select "Basic." Then I leave the page and come back to it later, and "Full" is selected again. I've gone back and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. diagnostic and usage setting