Windows 10: Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10 [img] Information Most people running Windows like having multiple apps running at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Most people running Windows like having multiple apps running at the same time – and often, what’s running in the background can drain your battery.

You may remember some of the power experiments Microsoft did back in January 2017 with Windows 10 build 15002. Power Throttling was one of those experiments, and showed to have up to 11% savings in CPU power consumption for some of the most strenuous use cases.

In Windows 10 build 16176, Microsoft leveraged modern silicon capabilities to run background work in a power-efficient manner, thereby enhancing battery life significantly while still giving users access to powerful multitasking capabilities of Windows. With Power Throttling, when background work is running, Windows places the CPU in its most energy efficient operating modes – work gets done, but the minimal possible battery is spent on that work.

How does it work? To give great performance to the apps you’re using, while at the same time power throttling background work, Microsoft built a sophisticated detection system into Windows. The OS identifies work that is important to you (apps in the foreground, apps playing music, as well as other categories of important work we infer from the demands of running apps and the apps the user interacts with). While this detection works well for most apps, if you happen to notice an app that is negatively impacted by Power Throttling, Microsoft really wants to know!! You can do 3 things:
    1. Provide feedback. Run the Feedback Hub and file feedback under the Power and Battery > Throttled Applications category.

2. Control Power Throttling system-wide, using the Power Slider. Windows works hardest to keep the processor in its efficient ranges when you’ve selected Battery saver, Better battery or Better Performance, and turns off completely when you’ve selected Best Performance.

3. Opt individual apps out from Power Throttling by unchecking Let Windows decide when this app can run in the background in Battery usage by app, and unchecking Reduce work app does when in background.
    Starting with Windows 10 version 1709, you can enable or disable Power Throttling. If you enable Power Throttling, users will be able to apply their own Power Throttling settings as noted above.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Power Throttling for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable Power Throttling.

Note Power Throttling is currently available only for processors with Intel’s Speed Shift technology, available in Intel’s 6th-gen (and beyond) Core processors – Microsoft is working on expanding support to other processors as well over the next few months.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Power Throttling using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Power Throttling using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Power Throttling in Task Manager

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Power Throttling using Local Group Policy Editor

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Power Throttling Settings

3. In the right pane of Power Throttling Settings in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off Power Throttling policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Power Throttling
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Power Throttling
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Power Throttling using a REG file

Note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerThrottling

PowerThrottlingOff DWORD

0 = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Power Throttling
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Power_Throttling.reg

Download

3. To Disable Power Throttling
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Power_Throttling.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 15, 2016
  2. Brink Win User
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Introducing Power Throttling in Windows 10

Source: Introducing Power Throttling - Windows Experience Blog

See also:

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Power Throttling in Windows 10

So I came across this page:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/power-...ing-windows-10

that talks about which processes use power throttling and when I follow the directions and click select columns I do not see an option to tick Power Throttling. Win 10 Pro. Anyone else who does not see the Power Throttling option? TIA.

phaedruspress, Oct 26, 2019
  6. xkm1948 Win User
    PSA Windows 10 + Adaptive Voltage/Offset voltage and you

I have speed step and all the other power saving option enabled.

So now after setting the system power profile, disable fast boot in uefi, disable hybrid sleep in windows 10 my system has been BSOD free.

xkm1948, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Power Throttling in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Power

2. Enabling Power Throttling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling Power Throttling: Due to having tweaking the regedit my power throttling was deleted. I don't know how to restore it back. Any glues?I have Ideapad gaming 3 16iah7. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enabling-power-throttling/a7d94f65-d569-41e5-a2e9-343021990618
  3. Enabling Power Throttling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling Power Throttling: Due to having tweaking the regedit my power throttling was deleted. I don't know how to restore it back. Any glues?I have Ideapad gaming 3 16iah7. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enabling-power-throttling/a7d94f65-d569-41e5-a2e9-343021990618
  4. What's power throttling?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's power throttling?: Is it ok to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-power-throttling/5ec1d432-5f2c-49ce-9a50-a277d43b825d
  5. What's power throttling?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's power throttling?: Is it ok to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-power-throttling/5ec1d432-5f2c-49ce-9a50-a277d43b825d
  6. How to enable Power Throttling?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to enable Power Throttling?: I followed a guide to disable throttling on my laptop https://www.maketecheasier.com/disable-power-throttling-windows10/ And now the task manager cpu is stuck at 43% usage on battery and when plugged in it reaches 100%. I'm not sure if reformatting is my only option now....
  7. Windows is power throttling for no reason.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows is power throttling for no reason.: So I have been using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility recently and it just started power throttling while I am idle. Anyone know why? I usually get a CPU clock speed of 3.8 - 4 GHz but now all I get is 2.20 which is the lowest my i7 processor can go. I have tried restarting...
  8. Power Throttling in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Power Throttling in Windows 10: So I came across this page: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/power-...ing-windows-10 that talks about which processes use power throttling and when I follow the directions and click select columns I do not see an option to tick Power Throttling. Win 10 Pro. Anyone else who...
  9. Enable or Disable Google Chrome Background Tab Throttling in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Google Chrome Background Tab Throttling in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Google Chrome Background Tab Throttling in Windows How to Enable or Disable Google Chrome Background Tab Throttling in Windows The stable channel of Google Chrome 57 for desktop ships with the background tab throttling power optimization...
  10. Introducing Power Throttling in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Power Throttling in Windows 10: You may remember some of our January power experiments we mentioned in Build 15002’s release notes. Power Throttling was one of those experiments, and showed up to 11% savings in CPU power consumption for some of the most strenuous use cases. We’ve been hard at work making...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. thewindowsclub power-throttling-windows-10