Windows 10: Enable or Disable Windows Hello Biometrics in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Windows Hello Biometrics in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Windows Hello Biometrics in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Windows Hello Biometrics in Windows 10 Windows Hello... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ludr, Nov 20, 2015.

1. ludr Win User

Enable or Disable Windows Hello Biometrics in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Windows Hello Biometrics in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Windows Hello Biometrics in Windows 10

Windows Hello biometrics lets you sign in to your devices, apps, online services, and networks using your fingerprint.

For more information about Windows Hello biometrics, see:
    By default, elevate UAC permissions using biometrics unless disabled via policy.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the use of biometrics for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the use of biometrics.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Use of Windows Hello Biometrics in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Use of Windows Hello Biometrics using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Windows Hello biometrics enabled and disabled in Settings

Enable or Disable Windows Hello Biometrics in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Use of Windows Hello Biometrics in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Biometrics

3. In the right pane of Biometrics in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow the use of biometrics policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Use of Windows Hello Biometrics
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Use of Windows Hello Biometrics
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Use of Windows Hello Biometrics using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Biometrics

Enabled DWORD

0 = Disable
    (delete) = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Use of Windows Hello Biometrics
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Windows_Hello_Biometrics.reg

Download

3. To Disable Use of Windows Hello Biometrics
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Windows_Hello_Biometrics.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, OK (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. hsehestedt, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  5. biometric devices

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Enable Biometric option.

I suggest you to enable the Biometrics to pick up the Biometrics setting. This option shall be enable by default. However, I recommend you to follow the steps provided below and check if it enable or not.

• Press Windows logo key + R key.
    • Type gpedit.msc and press
      Enter
      key.
    • Under Computer Configuration, navigate to.
    Administrative Templates Windows Components Biometrics

In the left hand panel of the Windows, double click on the following:

• Allow the use of biometrics
    • Allow users to log on using biometrics
    Select enable option and click on Apply and
    OK button.

Now, restart your computer and follow the instructions provided below.

After restarting the computer, I suggest you to disconnect and reconnect the fingerprint sensor device and check if the drivers are getting detected in Device Manager. If the issue still persist, follow method 2.

Method 2: Reinstall drivers and compatibility mode.

I suggest you to download and install the latest drives for fingerprint sensor device from the manufacture’s website and check if it gets detected.

If the issue still persist, you may also install the drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Follow the steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode.

• Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the installer and click on "Properties".
    • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select previous Operating System from the drop down.
    • Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

After installing the drivers in compatibility mode, follow the method 3 and check if you are able to get the sign in option with Biometric.

Method 3:

• Press Windows logo key + I key.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Go to Sign in options.
    • The fingerprint option will always be visible if there is a WBF-supported fingerprint reader (and its associated driver) installed on the computer.

For more information, refer the following Microsoft help article.

Biometric Devices

Biometric Devices (Windows Drivers)

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Oct 27, 2019
  6. dalchina Win User
    Windows Hello does not work

Hello, please confirm settings are correct and nothing given in this and linked tutorials is disabling the use of 'Hello'.

Which biometric are you using?

Are all device drivers present - no yellow triangles in Device Manager?

To which updates are you referring specifically?

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Windows Hello Biometrics in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Hello

2. Windows hello biometrics and face recognition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows hello biometrics and face recognition: Hello,I have a Dell Latitude 5300 2in 1Online my laptop says that it supports windows hello for fingerprint and face ID,However, in settings it says its unable to find a fingerprint scanner compatible with windows hello and the same but with face recognition. SEE PHOTOI have...
  3. Registry key to identify if Windows Hello Biometric is enabled

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Registry key to identify if Windows Hello Biometric is enabled: Is there a regkey that we can refer to check if user has windows hello biometric is setup on a device. ***Original title: Window hello status on windows 10 devices***...
  4. Windows Hello Biometrics sporadic

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Hello Biometrics sporadic: Windows Hello sign in using Biometrics Fingerprint scanner pre-installed with LG Gram laptop only works sporadically. Every 4-5 days, Windows Hello bypasses the Fingerprint scanner and signs in directly. Even though Windows Hello has been set up with a PIN and Fingerprints,...
  5. Missing Biometrics and Windows Hello Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing Biometrics and Windows Hello Files: Biometrics is missing in Device Manager on my Alienware 17 R4, One of the possible solutions I found on the Web was to go to C:\Windows\System32\WinBioPlugIns\FaceDriver, right clich on Helloface.inf and select Install. I did that but it didnt restore the Biometrics option...
  6. windows hello biometric recognition

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows hello biometric recognition: I am using windows 10 pro on my device. Initially, windows hello biometric recognition was being support on my device. But now it shows that windows hello is isn't available on my device. Can anyone help me out?...
  7. Disable or Enable Domain Users Sign in using Biometrics on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disable or Enable Domain Users Sign in using Biometrics on Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 supports the use of Biometrics. It already supports PIN, Password and Picture Password on all computers, but given the proper hardware, Windows 10 also supports facial scanning, Iris scanning as well as fingerprint scanning. You can find these [...] This...
  8. Enable or Disable Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics: How to: Enable or Disable Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics How to Enable or Disable Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics Windows Hello biometrics lets you sign in to your devices, apps, online services, and networks using your fingerprint....
  9. Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics: How to: Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics How to Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics Windows Hello biometrics lets you sign in to your devices, apps, online services, and networks using your...
  10. Windows Hello brings biometric security to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Hello brings biometric security to Windows 10: While not yet present in the technical preview of Windows 10, a new feature called Windows Hello will bring biometric security to Windows 10 in a native format, essentially eliminating the need for passwords. Instead, you'll be able to log into your Windows device using your...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to enable biometrics on alienware