Windows 10: Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10

Discus and support Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10 How to Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10

How to: Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10

How to Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10

Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows Media Player 12 (WMP) is included in Windows 10 by default. Windows Media Player allows you to play audio and video files on your local machine and on the Internet. You can also organize your digital media collection, sync digital media files to a portable device, shop online for digital media content, and more with Windows Media Player.

Windows Media Player is not the default app by default in Windows 10 though. The Groove Music app is the default music player. The Movies & TV app is the default video player. The Photos app is the the default photo viewer.

If you like, you can turn on or off the Windows Media Player feature to no longer have it available for all users on the PC. Turning off Windows Media Player will not uninstall it, or save any hard drive space.

If you like, you can install or uninstall the Windows Media Player feature to no longer have it available for all users on the PC. Uninstalling Windows Media Player will have it no longer available to turn on or off, and will free up around 57.4 MB of space on the Windows drive.

This tutorial will show you how to either turn on/off or install or uninstall Windows Media Player for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to either turn on/off or install or uninstall Windows Media Player.

Note If you have a N edition of Windows 10 installed, you will need to download and install the Media Feature Pack to have Windows Media Player available.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Windows Media Player in Windows Features
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Windows Media Player in PowerShell
    EXAMPLE: Windows Media Player

OPTION ONE [/i] To Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Apps icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage optional features link under Apps & features on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (install) or step 5 (uninstall) below for what you want to do.

4. To Install Windows Media Player in Windows 10
    A) Click/tap on Add a feature in Manage optional features. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Windows Media Player, click/tap on Install, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10
    A) Scroll down in Manage optional features and click/tap on Windows Media Player, click/tap on Uninstall, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Windows Media Player will now be installed or uninstalled. When finished, you can close Settings if you like. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Windows Media Player in Windows Features
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Programs and Features icon.

Note You can also press the Win+R keys to open Run, type OptionalFeatures.exe into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Windows Features at step 3 below.

2. Click/tap on the Turn Windows features on or off link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (on) or step 5 (off) below for what you want to do.

4. To Turn On Windows Media Player in Windows 10
    A) Expand open Media Features, check Windows Media Player, click/tap on OK to apply, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Turn Off Windows Media Player in Windows 10
    A) Expand open Media Features, and uncheck Windows Media Player. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on OK to apply, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Windows will now apply the changes. (see screenshots below)

7. Windows Media Player will now be turned on or off. Click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Windows Media Player in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Turn on Windows Media Player)
    *Arrow Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature –FeatureName "WindowsMediaPlayer" -All -Online

OR

(Turn off Windows Media Player)
    *Arrow Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature –FeatureName "WindowsMediaPlayer" -Online
    3. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell window if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 12, 2018

2. Faulty Windows Media Player

Windows Mesdis Player developed a fault (Played jerky an missed bits) so I down loaded Media Player 10.

It's no better. Any suggestions (I run Windows 98)

christieau, Oct 26, 2019
  3. New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10

THRiLL KiLL, Oct 26, 2019
  5. whyalsop Win User
    Windows Media Player 11 Too Dark

Same Problem

My media player 10 worked perfectly until windows update gave me media player 11. I had the same dark/purple videos showing up as well. I uninstalled 11 and went back to 10, uninstalled my k-lite codec pack and reinstalled it, but I still have the same problem! Anybody know what this is?

whyalsop, Oct 26, 2019
  6. KJM
    KJM Win User
    Windows Media Player 11 Too Dark

Downloading the newest NVIdia Update solved the problem for me

Thema:

Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10

1. Install or Uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Install Uninstall Media

2. Media Player be installed on Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Player be installed on Windows 11.: Can Windows Media Player be installed on Windows 11? I recently purchased a new desktop with Windows 11 but it has no media player for CD's. Or, is there another recommended play option?...
  3. Accidentally uninstalled windows media player. Is there a way to reinstall it on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally uninstalled windows media player. Is there a way to reinstall it on windows 10?: Accidentally uninstalled windows media player. Is there a way to reinstall it on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidentally-uninstalled-windows-media-player-is/eb4ed8aa-939e-4f72-af8f-1b5b3c29b924
  4. Accidentally uninstalled windows media player. Is there a way to reinstall it on windows 10?

Accidentally uninstalled windows media player. Is there a way to reinstall it on windows 10?: Accidentally uninstalled windows media player. Is there a way to reinstall it on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidentally-uninstalled-windows-media-player-is/eb4ed8aa-939e-4f72-af8f-1b5b3c29b924
  5. Accidentally uninstalled windows media player. Is there a way to reinstall it on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Accidentally uninstall Media Player Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally uninstall Media Player Windows 11.: I accidentally uninstall Media Player on my Windows 11. Could anyone please tell me how to retrieve or download it. Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidentally-uninstall-media-player-windows-11/3fe3eca6-9cac-4c9b-bf28-b8e114a3df02
  7. Accidentally uninstall Media Player Windows 11.

Accidentally uninstall Media Player Windows 11.: I accidentally uninstall Media Player on my Windows 11. Could anyone please tell me how to retrieve or download it. Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidentally-uninstall-media-player-windows-11/3fe3eca6-9cac-4c9b-bf28-b8e114a3df02
  8. Uninstall current version of Windows Media Player and install Win Media Player 12.0

in Windows 10 Customization
    Uninstall current version of Windows Media Player and install Win Media Player 12.0: I want to RIP CDs to my PC but the current version of Win Media Player does not have that capability. Is it possible to uninstall the current version and then in stall version 12.0. I have a IBuyPower 79C5FQ1, with 160 GB RAM and lots of storage space. Thanks...
  9. Installing Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing Windows Media Player: I was copying CDs to mp3 format to my Music folder on my PC. I have a read/write cd/dvd drive. Somehow (probably stupidly) I uninstall Windows Media Player and can't figure out how to get it back. I have search on the web and tried numerous things. Can you Help....
  10. Uninstalling Windows Media Player

Uninstalling Windows Media Player: Since I rarely use Windows Media Player these days after they changed things in Windows 8, is it worth actually uninstalling it or will that cause some problems because some facilities are tied to the software? 3051