Windows 10: Kill a Process in Windows 10

Discus and support Kill a Process in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Kill a Process in Windows 10 [img] Information A process is an instance of a program that is being executed. Each process running in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Geoff Daniell, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Kill a Process in Windows 10

How to: Kill a Process in Windows 10

Kill a Process in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information A process is an instance of a program that is being executed. Each process running in Windows is assigned a unique decimal number called the process ID, or PID.

If you notice a running process is reducing your computer's performance because it's hung, not responding, using a high percentage of CPU and/or memory resources, then you can kill the process to end it.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to kill a process in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Kill a Process in Task Manager Processes Tab

Note The Processes tab in Task Manager will show you a list of all apps, background processes, and Windows processes that are currently running under only your account.

1. Open Task Manager in more details view.

2. Do step 3 (parent) or step 4 (child) below for which process your want to kill.

3. To Kill Parent Process and its Child Processes

Note For example, to kill Google Chrome and all of its opened tabs and windows.

A) Click/tap on the Processes tab. (see screenshots below)

B) Select a parent process you want to kill, and perform one of the actions below:
    • Press the Delete key.
    • Click/tap on the End task button. Explorer will have a Restart button instead.
    • Right click or press and hold on the process, and click/tap on End task.
    C) When finished, go to step 5 below.

4. To Kill Only a Child Process

Note For example, to only kill a subprocess (ex: opened drive) instead of all "Windows Explorer" processes.

A) Click/tap on the Processes tab. (see screenshot below)

B) Expand open the parent process (ex: "Windows Explorer) of the child process (ex: "MyBook F:") you want to kill.

C) Select the child process you want to kill, and perform one of the actions below:
    • Press the Delete key.
    • Click/tap on the End task button.
    D) When finished, go to step 5 below.

5. You can now close Task Manager if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Kill a Process in Task Manager Details Tab

Note If you are signed in as a standard user, the Details tab in Task Manager will show you a list of all processes currently running under only your account and a description of each process.

If you are signed in as an administrator, the Details tab in Task Manager will also show you a list of all processes currently running on the computer from all users.

1. Open Task Manager in more details view.

2. Click/tap on the Details tab, select a process you want to kill, and perform one of the actions below: (see screenshot below)
    • Press the Delete key.
    • Click/tap on the End task button.

3. Click/tap on End process to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can now close Task Manager if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Kill a Process in Command Prompt
    1. Open a elevated command prompt.

2. Type tasklist into the command prompt, and press Enter to see a list of all currently running processes. Make note of the Image Name and PID of the process (ex: OneDrive) you want to kill. (see screenshots below)

3. Do step 4 (Image Name) or step 5 (PID) below for how you want to kill the process.

4. To Kill Process using Image Name
    A) Type the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

(To forcefully kill only this process)
    *Arrow taskkill /IM Image Name /F

OR

(To forcefully kill this process and any child processes started by it)
    *Arrow taskkill /IM Image Name /T /F

Note Substitute Image Name in the command above with the actual Image Name (ex: "OneDrive.exe") from step 2 above for the process you want to kill.

For example: taskkill /IM OneDrive.exe /F

Tip If you would like to kill multiple processes at once in one command line, then you would just add an additional /IM Image Name for each process.

For example:

(Two processes)
    taskkill /IM Image Name /IM Image Name /F

(Three processes)
    taskkill /IM Image Name /IM Image Name /IM Image Name /F

5. To Kill Process using PID
    A) Type the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

(To forcefully kill only this process)
    *Arrow taskkill /PID PID /F

OR

(To forcefully kill this process and any child processes started by it)
    *Arrow taskkill /PID PID /T /F

Note Substitute PID in the command above with the actual PID (ex: "5228") from step 2 above for the process you want to kill.

For example: taskkill /PID 5228 /F

Tip If you would like to kill multiple processes at once in one command line, then you would just add an additional /PID PID for each process.

For example:

(Two processes)
    taskkill /PID PID /PID PID /F

(Three processes)
    taskkill /PID PID /PID PID /PID PID /F

6. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

Note If you get an Access is denied error message, then it means you will need to run the command in an elevated command prompt instead.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Kill a Process in PowerShell

Note To see more usage options for the Stop-Process command, see: Stop-Process | Microsoft Docs

1. Open elevated PowerShell.

2. Type Get-Process into PowerShell, and press Enter to see a list of all currently running processes. Make note of the ProcessName and Id (PID) of the process (ex: OneDrive) you want to kill. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (Name) or step 5 (ID) below for how you want to kill the process.

4. To Kill Process using Name
    A) Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Stop-Process -Name "ProcessName" -Force

Note Substitute ProcessName in the command above with the actual ProcessName (ex: "OneDrive") from step 2 above for the process you want to kill.

For example: Stop-Process -Name "OneDrive" -Force

Tip If you would like to kill multiple processes at once in one command line, then you would just add an additional "ProcessName" separated by a comma for each process.

For example:

(Two processes)
    Stop-Process -Name "ProcessName","ProcessName" -Force

(Three processes)
    Stop-Process -Name "ProcessName","ProcessName","ProcessName" -Force

5. To Kill Process using ID (PID)
    A) Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Stop-Process -ID PID -Force

Note Substitute PID in the command above with the actual Id (ex: "11312") from step 2 above for the process you want to kill.

For example: Stop-Process -ID 11312 -Force

Tip If you would like to kill multiple processes at once in one command line, then you would just add an additional PID separated by a comma for each process.

For example:

(Two processes)
    Stop-Process -ID PID,PID -Force

(Three processes)
    Stop-Process -ID PID,PID,PID -Force

6. When finished, you can close PowerShell if you like.

Note If you get an Access is denied error message, then it means you will need to run the command in an elevated PowerShell instead.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Geoff Daniell, Mar 18, 2016
  2. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Non-existent process needs killing!

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

I would like to inform you that, sometimes task manager doesn't kill the process. It's also possible to kill processes from command line with
    'taskkill'.

taskkill /im process-name /f
    taskkill /pid process-id /f

This can be done by clicking Windows logo+x and selecting Command prompt (admin).

if issue persist, I suggest you to boot in safe mode and check if that helps.

Check the link below to boot in safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further assistance.

Swathi Ravichandran, Oct 26, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Kill a Process in Windows 10

Auto-kill a process

As I said, a trivial Autohotkey script - a permanent loop
    loop {
    If process exists - kill it
    sleep n
    }

(very roughly)

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  5. borgus Win User
    Auto-kill a process

Appreciate the suggestion. I use a .bat file here to do essentially what you describe, but my aim is to automate the process - no user intervention. A specified process opens; it spots and kills it. Closest that I have seen is an app that claims to do this on a schedule.

borgus, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Kill a Process in Windows 10

1. Kill a Process in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Kill Process

2. Microsoft family controls stop working after windows explorer process is killed

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft family controls stop working after windows explorer process is killed: Hi My child is able to kill the windows explorer process via taskmanager and after that for a short while all Microsoft family controls are gone. He can install anything from store etc. Can this be fixed please.Or is there any way to stop this?...
  3. Microsoft family controls stop working after windows explorer process is killed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft family controls stop working after windows explorer process is killed: Hi My child is able to kill the windows explorer process via taskmanager and after that for a short while all Microsoft family controls are gone. He can install anything from store etc. Can this be fixed please.Or is there any way to stop this?...
  4. Microsoft family controls stop working after windows explorer process is killed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 System Tray icon visible after killing process from task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 System Tray icon visible after killing process from task manager: I have my own application.I have handled form exit/application exit system tray dispose.but still only in windows 11 I am facing this issue.When we kill my process from task manager it gets killed. but still tray icon is shown. But once we restart my process we can see 2...
  6. Windows 11 System Tray icon visible after killing process from task manager

Windows 11 System Tray icon visible after killing process from task manager: I have my own application.I have handled form exit/application exit system tray dispose.but still only in windows 11 I am facing this issue.When we kill my process from task manager it gets killed. but still tray icon is shown. But once we restart my process we can see 2...
  7. I have run Process Explorer v17.04 and there is apps with 0 informations that I cannot kill

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have run Process Explorer v17.04 and there is apps with 0 informations that I cannot kill: Hello, I downloaded the last version of Process Explorer v17.04 and run the procexp64 file. I toggled Verify Image Signatures and Check VirusTotal.com to show me more details. It shows me that there is a lot of processes named like the official Windows systems files...
  8. I have run Process Explorer v17.04 and there is apps with 0 informations that I cannot kill

I have run Process Explorer v17.04 and there is apps with 0 informations that I cannot kill: Hello, I downloaded the last version of Process Explorer v17.04 and run the procexp64 file. I toggled Verify Image Signatures and Check VirusTotal.com to show me more details. It shows me that there is a lot of processes named like the official Windows systems files...
  9. I have run Process Explorer v17.04 and there is apps with 0 informations that I cannot kill

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. killed a process, don't know exactly which one and now my sound isn't working at all

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    killed a process, don't know exactly which one and now my sound isn't working at all: i killed a proces, don't know exacty how it was called, but i think there was "audio" and maybe "windows" in the namewas killing it cause it was taking up like 15% CPU so i figured it shouldn't do much useful.now even after restarting multiple times and running the sound...