Windows 10: Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10 In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10

In Windows, you can configure your keyboard to use a different keyboard layout or input method to type in another language.

The language of your keyboard layout controls the characters that appear on your screen when you type. By using the different layouts, you can type all the characters for the language, including diacritics such as the umlaut () in German and the tilde () in Spanish.

If you have more than one added change your keyboard layout.

The modern Input Indicator automatically shows as a keyboard layout, and allows you to quickly switch keyboard layouts or input methods without having to go through Settings.

If you like, you could turn on the classic language bar, and have it floating on the desktop or docked in the taskbar. The language bar also allows you to quickly switch keyboard layouts or input methods without having to go through Settings.

If you only have one keyboard layout, the Input Indicator and Language Bar will not show even if turned on.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the Language Bar and Input Indicator for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Input Indicator in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Language Bar in Settings
    • Option Three: Change Language Bar to be on Desktop, on Taskbar, or Hidden from "Text Services and Input Languages"
    • Option Four: Change Language Bar to be on Desktop, on Taskbar, or Hidden using a REG file
    • Option Five: Change Language Bar to Floating on Desktop from Docked in the Taskbar
    • Option Six: Change Language Bar to Docked in the Taskbar from Floating on Desktop
    EXAMPLE: Input Indicator and Language Bar

Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10 [​IMG]

(Language Bar docked in the taskbar)

(Language Bar floating on desktop)

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Input Indicator in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Click/tap on Taskbar on the left side, and click/tap on the Turn system icons on or off link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Turn On (default) or Off Input Indicator for what you want. (see screenshot below)

*note If you turn on Input Indicator and do not see it on your taskbar, then go to Settings > Time & Language > Region & language to refresh it and show.

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Language Bar in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2. Click/tap on Typing on the left side, and click/tap on the Advanced keyboard settings link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Check (on) or uncheck (off - default) Use the desktop language bar when it's available for what you want. (see screenshot below)

*note If you check Use the desktop language bar when it's available, it will automatically turn off Input Indicator if already turned on from Option One.

If you uncheck Use the desktop language bar when it's available, it will automatically turn on Input Indicator if already turned on from Option One.

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Change Language Bar to be on Desktop, on Taskbar, or Hidden from "Text Services and Input Languages"
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open step 4 below.

*Arrow rundll32.exe Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL input.dll,,{C07337D3-DB2C-4D0B-9A93-B722A6C106E2}

2. Click/tap on Typing on the left side, and click/tap on the Advanced keyboard settings link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Language bar options link. (see screenshot below)

4. Select (dot) the Floating on Desktop, Docked in the taskbar (default), or Hidden Language Bar you want, and click/tap on OK.

*note Floating on Desktop will only show when Use the desktop language bar when it's available is checked from Option Two above.

Docked in the taskbar will only show when Use the desktop language bar when it's available is checked from Option Two above.

Hidden will override Option Two above, and prevent the language bar from showing.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Change Language Bar to be on Desktop, on Taskbar, or Hidden using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar

ShowStatus DWORD

0 = Floating on desktop
    4 = Docked in the taskbar
    3 = Hidden

1. Do step 2 (desktop), step 3 (taskbar), or step 4 (hidden) below for which language bar you want.

2. Language Bar Floating On Desktop
    *note Floating on Desktop will only show when Use the desktop language bar when it's available is checked from Option Two above.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Language_Bar_floating_on_desktop.reg

Download

3. Language Bar Docked in the Taskbar
    *note This is the default setting. Docked in the taskbar will only show when Use the desktop language bar when it's available is checked from Option Two above.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Language_Bar_docked_in_the_taskbar.reg

Download

4. Language Bar Hidden
    *note Hidden will override Option Two above, and prevent the language bar from showing.

Language_Bar_hidden.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. restart the computer to apply.

9. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Change Language Bar to Floating on Desktop from Docked in the Taskbar
    1. Perform either action below from the language bar docked in the taskbar.

A) Click/tap on the language bar icon on the taskbar notification area, and click/tap on Show the Language bar. (see screenshot below)

OR

B) Right click or press and hold on the language bar icon on the taskbar notification area, and click/tap on Restore the Language bar. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] Change Language Bar to Docked in the Taskbar from Floating on Desktop
    1. Click/tap on the Minimize button on the language bar floating on the desktop. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 24, 2017

2. Turn Language Bar OFF (hide it)

Hi,
    This is the answer, the same as in Windows 8.1
    The Windows Club: Turn Off Language Bar or Input Indicator in Windows 8.1

Also make sure in the last step "The Text Services and Input Languages settings box" 'Hidden'
    Best regards Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10 :)

Flyfisherman, Oct 27, 2019
  3. nxlongth Win User

nxlongth, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Manya53 Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade - Input indicator

Sorry for the mix up in terminology! Let me clarify:

1) Input indicator:
    Settings >
    Personalization > Taskbar >
    Turn system icons on or off. > Input Indicator

2)Language bar:
    Control Panel
    >Clock, Language, and Region
    > Language > Advanced settings >
    Change language bar hot keys >Language bar
    tab > (options Docked in the taskbar and
    Show text labels on the Language bar now turned ‘On’).

I set the
    language bar
    (2) following the steps outlined by you and this is the icon I referred to as
    different language bar icon' in my reply above. It is ‘now docked and available to me’ in the task bar automatically on re-start. I had not noticed this icon for a long time and may have turned it ‘On’ only recently
    through ‘Toolbars’ > language bar in my struggle to find the missing ‘Input Indicator’.

It is the Input Indicator that normally shows up in the system icons area (referred to wrongly as ‘notification area’ by me) that disappears with each re-start and I need to set it
    ever time following setting steps (1). This is the one I would like to set properly and have it available on re-start. The status is as before and I believe that the ‘language bar’ options (2) are not interfering with ‘Input Indicator’ settings

I do not recall having meddled with either of these settings before, the default ones worked well enough for me since I started working with different languages!

(I must wait with the 'test user trial' until a bit later)

Manya53, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Enabling input indicator on lock screen and taskbar

Hi,

For you to enable the input indicator or language bar on lock screen and task bar, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Windows key and select Control Panel.
    • Look for Language, then click it to open.
    • On the left pane, click Advance settings.
    • Under Switching input methods, tick the option Use the desktop language bar when it's available.
    • Click Save to save the changes.

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Language Bar and Input Indicator in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Language

2. Unwanted Input language in language bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted Input language in language bar: So I noticed that, when I open that small keyboard bar in the right bottom corner, I have 2 input languages shown, which I haven't added. Now, I know how to remove them, but the problem is here:1. These 2 languages are shown in that small keyboard layout boxSo CroatianBosnia...
  3. Unwanted Input language in language bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted Input language in language bar: So I noticed that, when I open that small keyboard bar in the right bottom corner, I have 2 input languages shown, which I haven't added. Now, I know how to remove them, but the problem is here:1. These 2 languages are shown in that small keyboard layout boxSo CroatianBosnia...
  4. No Language Input Indicator in my Windows Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Language Input Indicator in my Windows Taskbar: Hi,Failed attempts:1 Right-click empty space on Windows 10 taskbar and then select “Taskbar settings“. Toggle the setting for Input Indicator to On or Off. This will show or hide the input indicator accordingly. This change will take effect immediately. 2 Go to the...
  5. Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10: I have Googled several different ways to turn off this Caps Lock indicator and have gotten stumped at each solution.Under Advanced Display Settings, there is no Screen Configurations tab:There is no Mobility Center when I type that into Windows search.Dell Peripheral Manager...
  6. My input indicator is Missing in the task bar.

My input indicator is Missing in the task bar.: I have tried to turn on in the setting, reinstall the language, ran sfc scan at last tried regedit ctfmon method. All does not work for me. I have found out that, i only can see the input indicator during the app running administration phase, as picture below. Im not sure...
  7. How to turn off Language switch bar

How to turn off Language switch bar: Hello! After last November update, when switching languages, I've started to get this bar with all languages i use (switch between) on the side of the screen. Why microsoft just adding stuff that I don't need and there is no instruction how to remove this trash! So...
  8. How to turn off Language switch bar

How to turn off Language switch bar: Hello! After last November update, when switching languages, I've started to get this bar with all languages i use (switch between) on the side of the screen. Why microsoft just adding stuff that I don't need and there is no instruction how to remove this trash! So...
  9. Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10 The cursor is that blinking line at the end of what you are typing in Windows. Have you ever had an issue finding the text cursor in the middle of a...
  10. Turn Language Bar OFF (hide it)

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn Language Bar OFF (hide it): Hello, I'd like to hide the language bar, as I did with Win7. Currently I have 2 keyboard layouts installed (German, which I use and English) My display language is English, and it seems I cannot remove the English keyboard layout (is it true? suggestions?) Under Win7, when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows input Indicator reg