Windows 10: New feature update with onedrive desktop backup moves your desktop folder...

Discus and support New feature update with onedrive desktop backup moves your desktop folder... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; what is the black magic? my onedrive folder is C:\onedrive they don't even tell you hey, if we do this we are moving your desktop folder to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by vbpete01, Oct 13, 2019.

1. vbpete01 Win User

New feature update with onedrive desktop backup moves your desktop folder...

what is the black magic?

my onedrive folder is C:\onedrive

they don't even tell you hey, if we do this we are moving your desktop folder to the onedrive folder...... c:\onedrive\desktop

But we will leave and not point you userprofile\desktop folder in place so you can continue to download stuff to it.....

This is ridiculous.

How does this affect profiles on the PC, will everyone use the same desktop folder in c:\onedrive\folder?

:)

vbpete01, Oct 13, 2019
  2. CraigLong Win User

Desktop folder in OneDrive

When you turn on Desktop
    Folder Protection
    your Desktop folder moves into your OneDrive which backs it up and syncs it to your other devices. You can turn off Desktop protection in the OneDrive Settings at the
    Auto Save tab > Update Folders but you will then have to manually move your files back to the Desktop folder in your User's folder. I would leave the Desktop folders alone but just move the files.

CraigLong, Oct 13, 2019
  3. Grant_351 Win User
    OneDrive - Group policy - Important Folders except Desktop

Hi,

I'm interested in using the OneDrive "Important Folders" feature to backup all Documents and Pictures silently when users logon to devices but not the Desktop. I'd like to manage and push the setup out via Group policy settings.

Running the latest ADMX files I can't see this being an option to limit it to just Documents and Pictures folder. The only way to prevent the Desktop from Syncing to OneDrive is to put a folder redirection in which means the GPO setting "Silently move windows
    known folders to OneDrive" doesn't work as it fails on the Desktop.

Grant

Grant_351, Oct 13, 2019
  4. New feature update with onedrive desktop backup moves your desktop folder...

Turn On OneDrive PC Folder Protection for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures Folders

How Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders in Windows 10

OneDrive is free online storage that comes with your Microsoft account. Save your files online to OneDrive and you will be able to view, browse, upload, and share them from any PC, tablet, or phone.

OneDrive is built into Windows 10, and you can find your OneDrive files through File Explorer

If you want an additional layer of protection from ransomware, try saving your files in OneDrive. Its part of the new experiences that arrived with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update.

When you save your files to OneDrive, you can get to them from anywhere and your files are safe in OneDrive if anything happens to your device. Now, you can set up protection for your important folders in Windows (your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders) when using either your personal OneDrive account, or your work or school account.

If a ransomware threat is found on a device, Windows Defender will notify you of the threat, help you remove the ransomware from your device, and give you options to recover your OneDrive files to the state they were in before the attack occurred. For Office 365 Home subscribers, Office 365 Personal subscribers, and OneDrive for Business users, that includes OneDrive Files Restore, which can be used to restore your OneDrive to a previous point in time within the last 30 days. The date and time that Windows Defender detected the attack will be pre-selected in Files Restore, making the process simple and easy to use.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off OneDrive PC folder backup for protection of your files in your Desktop, Documents, or Pictures folders in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On OneDrive PC Folder Protection for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures Folders
    • Option Two: Turn Off OneDrive PC Folder Protection for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures Folders

EXAMPLE: OneDrive PC folder backup syncing Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders

New feature update with onedrive desktop backup moves your desktop folder... [​IMG]
    OPTION ONE
    New feature update with onedrive desktop backup moves your desktop folder... [​IMG]
    Turn On OneDrive PC Folder Protection for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures Folders
    1 Click/tap on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

2 Click/tap on the Backup tab in Microsoft OneDrive settings, and click/tap on the Manage backup button. (see screenshot below)

3 In the Back up your folders dialog box, select (check) the folders you want to backup to OneDrive, and click/tap on the Start backup button. (see screenshots below)

4 You can close the dialog box while your files sync to OneDrive. Or, to watch your files sync, click/tap on View sync progress. When the files finish syncing to OneDrive, they're protected and you can access them from anywhere in Desktop, Documents, or Pictures. When you backup your Desktop folder, the items on your desktop roam with you to your other PC desktops where you're running OneDrive. (see screenshot below)

5 When finished, click/tap on OK in Microsoft OneDrive settings. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    Turn Off OneDrive PC Folder Protection for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures Folders
    When you stop folder backup for a folder, the files you were backing up remain in OneDrive and no longer appear in the folder. You will see a Where are my files shortcut in the folder to take you to its OneDrive folder location. If you no longer want these files in OneDrive, you'll need to move them to a local folder on your PC yourself. Any new files you add to the folder on your PC will no longer be backed up (synced) to OneDrive.

1 Click/tap on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

2 Click/tap on the Backup tab in Microsoft OneDrive settings, and click/tap on the Manage backup button. (see screenshot below)

3 In the Manage folder backup dialog box, click/tap on the Stop backup link of a folder you want to stop syncing to OneDrive. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Stop backup to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

6 Repeat steps 3 to 5 if you want to stop folder backup to OneDrive for any other folder.

7 When finished, close the Manage folder backup dialog box. (see screenshot below)

8 Click/tap on OK in Microsoft OneDrive settings. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

New feature update with onedrive desktop backup moves your desktop folder...

1. New feature update with onedrive desktop backup moves your desktop folder... - Similar Threads - feature update onedrive

2. How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?: Hello,I've asked Onedrive to stop syncingmy desktop and I want me old C:\users...... desktop folder since it is also where the files are stored when I drop something into the desktop.I tried going to properties clicking on Onedrive's desktop folder and changing to default or...
  3. How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?: Hello,I've asked Onedrive to stop syncingmy desktop and I want me old C:\users...... desktop folder since it is also where the files are stored when I drop something into the desktop.I tried going to properties clicking on Onedrive's desktop folder and changing to default or...
  4. Onedrive will not backup my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive will not backup my desktop: I switched to a new laptop and put Onedrive on it. It backups up everything, but I get a message that says, ""the desktop folder contains other important folders and isn't supported for file backup"". Suggestions so I can back up my desktop?R...
  5. Onedrive will not backup my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive will not backup my desktop: I switched to a new laptop and put Onedrive on it. It backups up everything, but I get a message that says, ""the desktop folder contains other important folders and isn't supported for file backup"". Suggestions so I can back up my desktop?R...
  6. Unable to backup Desktop to Onedrive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to backup Desktop to Onedrive.: [ATTACH] Unable to backup Desktop to Onedrive. How to fix this issue ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-backup-desktop-to-onedrive/4d0a202d-16ab-47f5-8bf5-fa19fe9b51bd
  7. OneDrive Desktop backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneDrive Desktop backup: My new laptop has onedrive desktop backup activated. If I turn it off, will I be able to reuse it in the future or is this a one time decision? submitted by /u/wait-_what [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j1dvzr/onedrive_desktop_backup/
  8. How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder: I don't want to use OneDrive (OD) with my W10 (2004) PC because I don't need to access files via other devices and I back up important files to an external hard drive. Also, I don't want to be beholden to Microsoft for monthly fees. Microsoft keeps sending me email messages...
  9. Stop Desktop Backup to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop Desktop Backup to OneDrive: How can I keep the desktop from being backed up to OneDrive? [Original Title: OneDrive] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-desktop-backup-to-onedrive/a1ab5464-302d-44d3-8a4d-2a2f493458d0
  10. OneDrive - backup *separate* desktops?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive - backup *separate* desktops?: OneDrive has added a great feature - backing up my desktop items to the cloud. Only problem - I use two different copies of Windows - one at work and one at home. I *want* to keep separate copies of each desktop, but OD wants to mash 'em together in the cloud! Any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive feature to back up desktop

2. onedrive backup desktop where are my files

3. onedrive moves desktop files

4. onedrive pc folder backup moves files