Windows 10: Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

Discus and support Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; First started maybe two months ago, a Windows 10 update To explain why I do this, I use a virtual audio device so I can listen to some audio that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EnderofGames, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

First started maybe two months ago, a Windows 10 update

To explain why I do this, I use a virtual audio device so I can listen to some audio that doesn't go to stream. This virtual audio device is simple: It is a device that some programs output to, like a fake set of speakers. It is also an input device, so that I can listen to the input device on my real output device, either my speakers or headphones.

So I go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Check "Listen to this device" and under "Playback through this device:" I select "Default Playback Device".

This used to work fine and dandy. Sometime around August 2019, a Windows 10 update broke this. If I plug in my headphones, the default device changes from speakers to headphones. But playback of the virtual audio device stops. If I unplug my headphones, it is still stopped. I have to go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Change the dropdown menu from "Default Playback Device" to anything else > Apply > Change the dropdown menu to "Default Playback Device" > Apply again to fix it.

This adds TONS of extra steps to a simple change like plugging in my headphones. I have uninstalled my audio drivers and reinstalled them. This is a problem with how Windows 10 now handles listening to devices and needs to be fixed.

:)

EnderofGames, Oct 24, 2019

2. Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows  

How to Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows

If you like, you can listen to your microphone through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone.

You can also listen to a portable music player or other device connected to the microphone jack through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone.

This tutorial will show you how to listen to microphone through a playback device such as speakers or headphone in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note If you listen to a connected microphone through speakers, you may hear feedback.

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sound icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open to the "Recording" tab in the Sound panel.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1

2. Click/tap on the Recording tab, and double click/tap on your default microphone device. (see screenshot below)

Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset... [​IMG]

3. Do step 4 (on) or step 5 (off) below for what you want to do.

4. Turn On Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device
    A) Click/tap on the Listen tab. (see screenshot below)

B) Check the Listen to this device box.

C) Under Playback through this device, select the playback device you want to listen through.

D) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset... [​IMG]

5. Turn Off Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Listen tab. (see screenshot below)

B) Uncheck the Listen to this device box.

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

6. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 24, 2019
  3. Change Default Sound Input Device from Settings

How to Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

The default sound input device is the device that Windows uses to record or hear sound.

When you connect more than one microphone or other recording devices to your PC, you can select which device you want to use by default.

This tutorial will show you different ways to change the default sound input device for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Default Sound Input Device from Settings
    • Option Two: Change Default Sound Input Device from Sound Control Panel

OPTION ONE
    Change Default Sound Input Device from Settings

*note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17035.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Sound on the left side, and Choose your input device you want from the drop menu on the right side. (see screenshot below)

*note You will not be able to choose if you do not have more than one input device connected.

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Change Default Sound Input Device from Sound Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sound icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open "Recording" devices in the Sound panel.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1

2. Click/tap on the Recording tab, and perform one of the actions below you want to use to set the default input (recording) device. (see screenshots below)
    • Right click or press and hold on the recording device, and click/tap on Set a Default Device.
    • Select a recording device, and either:
      • Click/tap on Set Default to set for both "Default Device" and "Default Communication Device".
      • Click/tap on the drop menu arrow to the right of Set Default, and click/tap on Default Device.
      • Click/tap on the drop menu arrow to the right of Set Default, and click/tap on Default Communication Device. This will not be set as the "Default Device"

3. Click/tap on OK when finished. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 24, 2019
  4. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

Mic Input Playing - While Listen To Device is disabled

Hi Grimston,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled
      Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

d) Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

e) Click Apply and OK.
    I recommend you to run hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type Troubleshooting in search box and open it.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound
    • Click on Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the instruction.
    Please try to un-install and install sound driver and check if it helps

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows + X, click on Device Manager.
    • In the list of hardware categories, look for the device that you want to update, and then double-tap or double-click the device name.
    • Click the Driver tab, tap or click
      Uninstall,
    Download the latest driver from manufacturer’s website and install

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

1. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset... - Similar Threads - Recent Causes Listening

2. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...: Any time I use an external microphone my game audio gets picked up by my headset and everyone in discord can hear it. I just bought a new headset thinking that would fix it but it hasn't. I'm playing on a laptop with an integrated mic so that probably has something to do with...
  3. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...: Any time I use an external microphone my game audio gets picked up by my headset and everyone in discord can hear it. I just bought a new headset thinking that would fix it but it hasn't. I'm playing on a laptop with an integrated mic so that probably has something to do with...
  4. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays

"Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays: I wanted to setup a flight simulator and use a real headset for it but noticed that the Listen to this Device on my microphone comes with a slight delay that renders it unusable (as a side note, in a real cockpit, you listen to yourself speak through the headset without any...
  6. "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays

in Windows 10 Support
    "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays: I wanted to setup a flight simulator and use a real headset for it but noticed that the Listen to this Device on my microphone comes with a slight delay that renders it unusable (as a side note, in a real cockpit, you listen to yourself speak through the headset without any...
  7. "listen to this device"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "listen to this device": I've been using a soundboard for a couple of days along with VB Audio Cable to play silly sound clips through game chat while I'm streaming. Today the feature "listen to this device" won't work, as you have the Virtual audio cable "listen" to the output of whatever you want...
  8. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...: Locked without an answer. Four replies from people looking for an answer. Please fix this. This is still a problem that constantly requires my attention....
  9. Reset Input Device

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset Input Device: I by mistake marked my input device as headset but it is a headphone, so while using it windows just turn off my in-PC microphone causing me problems.So how can i just reset it?...
  10. Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs: This problem only started happening after I updated from 1809 to 1903 and I don't want to update to 1909 yet to see if it's fixed. I have two sound output devices, one is for my speakers, one is for my headset, I also have my PC listen to Line-In to the "Default Sound...