Windows 10: Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10

Discus and support Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10

How to: Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10 PC

A network based on a Domain provides centralized administration of the entire network from a single computer which is called a server. A Domain provides single user login from any computer connected to that network within the network perimeter. Users are allowed (or restricted) to access resources depending upon the permissions they have.

By default, local user accounts are not shown (enumerated) on the sign-in screen on domain-joined computers. Only domain accounts will show on the sign-in screen by default on domain-joined computers.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable showing all local users on the sign-in screen on a domain joined Windows 10 PC.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable enumerate local users on sign-in screen on domain-joined computers.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined PC in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined PC using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Default disable showing local accounts on sign-in screen on domain-joined Windows 10 PC

Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined PC in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon

3. In the right pane of Logon in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Enumerate local users on domain-joined computers policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined PC
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined PC
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined PC using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

EnumerateLocalUsers DWORD

(delete) = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined PC
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_show_local_users_on_sign-in_screen_on_domain-joined_computers.reg

Download

3. To Disable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined PC
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_show_local_users_on_sign-in_screen_on_domain-joined_computers.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 10, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Remove one of the "Other user" login options from login screen

Hello Cruz, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You might see if the tutorial below to disable showing local users on the sign-in screen on domain joined computers may work for this for you.

*Arrow Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Domain Joined Windows 10 - Fast User Switching

When signing in to a Windows PC which has joined a domain with other than a domain account, you need to use a so called full username (ComputerName\UserProfileName).

In above screenshot example I simply replaced the default domain username with the credentials of a local account using the full username and can now sign in using those credentials.

Clicking the link How do I sign in to another domain shows these instructions:

4. mikesmet Win User

How to display multiple local user accounts at login screen?

Hi johngalt, thank you for you suggestion: I did enable 'Enumerate local users on domain-joined computer', however the result remained identical. The login screen just shows the last user logged in and the 'Other' option ...

mikesmet, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Kari Win User
    Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain  

That would explain it.

Active Directory is the way, the tool local domains use for user control and management. There are three different methods a user / device can join AD: joining local domain and signing in with domain credentials, joining through Azure AD and signing in with Azure AD credentials, and the "lowest level" so called workplace join, connect a local or Microsoft sign-in account to an Azure AD (workplace) account.

Joining a local domain and Azure AD basically is the same. Of course there are administrative differences from IT departement's point of view, but for the most the only difference end user sees is the sign-in credentials.

Once you have joined a local domain, you cannot join Azure AD, and vice versa. It's one or the other.

Joining Azure AD instead of joining a domain is in my opinion the future, Microsoft's clear goal being to get corporate users to move from local domains and on-premises domain controllers to Azure AD. I posted an opinion piece about that just a few days ago on my site: Secure Windows on a Secure Device Win10.Guru

Azure AD gives you two levels to join: Workplace join simply adds your Azure AD account to Windows 10 for single-sign-on to all your workplace services, but you will continue signing in to Windows with your current local or Microsoft account:

This will be shown as a connected account:

As you will continue signing in with your local or Microsoft account, you are still pretty much in control. You can use workplace services, company store and such but IT admin cannot set up any restrictions on your device. A workplace joined user / device can still join a local domain.

If you select Join Azure AD instead, your sign-in account will be changed to Azure AD account. This is shown as Azure AD joined:

Once joined to Azure AD, joining a local domain is no longer possible.

I'm not sure if the above explains this clear enough. The point is, a local domain and Azure AD effectively chooses the way you are joined to your workplace. Only one of these methods to join can be used.

6. THE_JAG Win User
    Created local account, but unable to login.

I am trying to create a local account on my Win10 Pro machine. I have gone through the various steps and have an account created, but I have no option to login to that account.

I can see the user in Local Users and Groups (not disabled), but the name does NOT appear on the login screen. Furthermore, the login screen gives me options for email + password (not applicable) OR username + PIN (no option to create a PIN when creating
    a local user). Even if I type the username and "Forgot PIN", it says the username is not valid.

I'm pretty much out of ideas.

UPDATE:

Ok. Figured it out... there is a group policy that, by default, turns off local users on the login screen when the computer is attached to a domain. See:

How to Enable or Disable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10 PC

THE_JAG, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable Show Local Users on Sign-in Screen on Domain Joined Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Show Local

2. Windows 10 will not recognize Domain User as Local Admin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 will not recognize Domain User as Local Admin: I have a user who I recently issued a new computer with a Windows 10 Pro OS. The company uses an on premises domain and joining the computer and adding his account happened with out any hiccups. For some reason though this computer refuses to recognize him as the...
  3. Joining a Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Joining a Domain: I'm trying to join a domain that resides on my Synology NAS. When trying to join the domain I'm getting the following message: [ATTACH] I've also tried joining the domain using the "Network ID" button and I get the following message: [ATTACH] I'm running Windows 10...
  4. Windows 10 - Join Domain - Domain user logs in and reverts back to the log in screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Join Domain - Domain user logs in and reverts back to the log in screen: This has been happening for over a year. Not every installed new PC, just many time. Newer Win10 builds have not corrected it. We have a Dell Optiplex, Win10 installed. We complete the initial set up, patch etc., then join the domain. After joining the doamin, I go to...
  5. Issues with Local Users and Domain

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issues with Local Users and Domain: Hi All New to all of this so apologies if I get some terminology wrong. I am currently in the process of trying to change the settings for the primary user account for a Windows 10 PC, but it would appear that the PC was a part of a domain which has restricted access to...
  6. Disable or Enable Domain Users Sign in using Biometrics on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disable or Enable Domain Users Sign in using Biometrics on Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 supports the use of Biometrics. It already supports PIN, Password and Picture Password on all computers, but given the proper hardware, Windows 10 also supports facial scanning, Iris scanning as well as fingerprint scanning. You can find these [...] This...
  7. Windows 10 Domain Joined - How to disable pin sign on.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Domain Joined - How to disable pin sign on.: Having trouble disabling pin sign on for our domain joined machines. it just doesn't seem to work, I have tried using the registry tweak and GPO policy. Can someone help please?*Confused*Confused Firaz 53995
  8. Domain Joined Windows 10 - Fast User Switching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Domain Joined Windows 10 - Fast User Switching: Hi I recently joined my HP Envy Recline 27 k210na which was upgraded to windows 10 to a Windows 2012 R2 Domain. But have an issue. Once I login with a user account, domain or non domain, I am unable to use the fast user switching. When choosing to switch account, I will...
  9. Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics: How to: Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics How to Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics Windows Hello biometrics lets you sign in to your devices, apps, online services, and networks using your...
  10. Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in with PIN to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in with PIN to Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in with PIN to Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services....