Windows 10: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10 How to Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10 The This PC window in File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10

How to: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10

How to Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10

The This PC window in File Explorer includes a Folders group that displays a linked Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos folder from the current user account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" profile folder location.

This tutorial will show you how to change the icon of the default Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos Folders in This PC for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Icons of Folders in This PC for Current User
    • Option Two: Change Icons of Folders in This PC for All Users

EXAMPLE: Folders in This PC

Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Icons of Folders in This PC for Current User

*note This option will override Option Two.

*note This option will only be applied to the current user, and no other user account on the PC.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Do step 4 (3D Objects), step 5 (Desktop), step 6 (Documents), step 7 (Downloads), step 8 (Music), step 9 (Pictures), and/or step 10 (Videos) below for the folder icon you want to change.

4. To Change Icon of 3D Objects Folder
    A) Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor, and go to step 11 below.

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

5. To Change Icon of Desktop Folder
    A) Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor, and go to step 11 below.

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

6. To Change Icon of Documents Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{d3162b92-9365-467a-956b-92703aca08af}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {d3162b92-9365-467a-956b-92703aca08af} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {d3162b92-9365-467a-956b-92703aca08af} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {d3162b92-9365-467a-956b-92703aca08af} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

7. To Change Icon of Downloads Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{088e3905-0323-4b02-9826-5d99428e115f}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {088e3905-0323-4b02-9826-5d99428e115f} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {088e3905-0323-4b02-9826-5d99428e115f} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {088e3905-0323-4b02-9826-5d99428e115f} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

8. To Change Icon of Music Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

9. To Change Icon of Pictures Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

10. To Change Icon of Videos Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{f86fa3ab-70d2-4fc7-9c99-fcbf05467f3a}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {f86fa3ab-70d2-4fc7-9c99-fcbf05467f3a} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {f86fa3ab-70d2-4fc7-9c99-fcbf05467f3a} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {f86fa3ab-70d2-4fc7-9c99-fcbf05467f3a} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

11. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the (Default) value to modify it.

12. Type the full path of the .ico file wrapped in quotes for the icon you want to use for this folder, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

[table][tr][td]Folder[/td] [td]Default Icon[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3D Objects[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-198[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Desktop[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Documents[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Downloads[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-184[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Music[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-108[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Pictures[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-113[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Videos[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-189[/td] [/tr] [/table]

13. When finished, close Registry Editor.

14. Refresh (F5) the This PC window of File Explorer if open to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Icons of Folders in This PC for All Users

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If any user uses Option One, it will override this option for their account.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Do step 4 (3D Objects), step 5 (Desktop), step 6 (Documents), step 7 (Downloads), step 8 (Music), step 9 (Pictures), and/or step 10 (Videos) below for the folder icon you want to change.

4. To Change Icon of 3D Objects Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A}\DefaultIcon

5. To Change Icon of Desktop Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}\DefaultIcon

6. To Change Icon of Documents Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{d3162b92-9365-467a-956b-92703aca08af}\DefaultIcon

7. To Change Icon of Downloads Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{088e3905-0323-4b02-9826-5d99428e115f}\DefaultIcon

8. To Change Icon of Music Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}\DefaultIcon

9. To Change Icon of Pictures Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8}\DefaultIcon

10. To Change Icon of Videos Folder

*Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f86fa3ab-70d2-4fc7-9c99-fcbf05467f3a}\DefaultIcon

11. Change the owner (click on link) of the DefaultIcon key in the left pane of Registry Editor to be the Administrators group.

12. Set permissions (click on link) of the DefaultIcon key in the left pane of Registry Editor to Allow the Administrators group Full control.

13. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the (Default) value to modify it.

14. Type the full path of the .ico file wrapped in quotes for the icon you want to use for this folder, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The .ico file will need to be located in either folder below for it to be applied to all users.
    • C:\Users\Public
    • C:\Windows
    • C:\Windows\System32

[table][tr][td]Folder[/td] [td]Default Icon[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3D Objects[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-198[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Desktop[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Documents[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Downloads[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-184[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Music[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-108[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Pictures[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-113[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Videos[/td] [td]%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-189[/td] [/tr] [/table]

15. When finished, close Registry Editor.

16. Refresh (F5) the This PC window of File Explorer if open to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 19, 2015
  2. psbecker Win User

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I want to change a few folders icons and fix the icon to the folder so if its moved to other computers the icon wont change is there any way of doing this thanks,

Live OR Die, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I don't undestand what you are asking, but cool sig by the way *Rockout :rockout:

douglatins, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Icons Folders

2. Change Icon in Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Icon in Folder: Hello everyone, recently I tried moving my videos folder to another drive and that ended up changing the icon of that drive, when I try to change it back it doesn't give me the option to change it, can anyone help me? I am on Windows 11. Thanks*** Moved from Spanish Forum ***...
  3. Change Icon in Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Icon in Folder: Hello everyone, recently I tried moving my videos folder to another drive and that ended up changing the icon of that drive, when I try to change it back it doesn't give me the option to change it, can anyone help me? I am on Windows 11. Thanks*** Moved from Spanish Forum ***...
  4. Changing the folder icons present on This PC.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the folder icons present on This PC.: How can I change the icons of these folder in This PC, I can't change them like the other files by clicking on them....... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-the-folder-icons-present-on-this-pc/d66b63ef-3195-4e85-a9df-7a3c7df3dd31
  5. Changing the folder icon to Classic Windows Folder icon on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the folder icon to Classic Windows Folder icon on Windows 10: I want to continue to use what I believe Microsft called Classic Windows Folder icon for data folders. It's the plain rectangular manila folder with the label tab in the upper left- or right-hand corner. I have had Win 10 64bit for several years and just noticed yesterday...
  6. Changing This PC folder icons.

Changing This PC folder icons.: Everyone is quick to remove the folders there, so instead of doing that this time, I decided to change the icons. [img] I had wrote a reg file to do the merging, but..., and not too surprisingly, those pesky windows Permissions got in the way. So, needless to say...
  7. Change folder icon

Change folder icon: Hi, I wrote a batch script to set a custom icon to folders: ECHO [.ShellClassInfo]>%1\desktop.in_ ECHO IconResource=C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll,22>>%1\desktop.in_ move %1\desktop.in_ %1\desktop.ini attrib +S +H %1\desktop.ini The desktop.ini it produces is...
  8. Windows 10 Taskbar "Default" folder icon change?

Windows 10 Taskbar "Default" folder icon change?: Hello, please help me figure this out, I would like to change default folder icon, but don't know how. I think it can be done with regedit, but I need a little help to navigate where and what to change, please help *Smile This icon appears when you open any folder....
  9. Changing Folder Icons In Windows 10

Changing Folder Icons In Windows 10: So as many people may agree, the icons in Windows 10 look absolutely hideous. I have found an Icon pack I would like to use & I have successfully changed Icons such as Recycle Bin, My PC, My Network but when it comes to the Documents, Movies, Pictures, Download folders...
  10. Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Folder Icon in Windows 10: How to: Change Folder Icon in Windows 10 How to Change Icon of a Folder in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to change the icon of a folder in File Explorer to any icon you like in Windows 10. *note When you change the icon of a folder, the folder will no...